PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo at AFC Coaches Breakfast

I think people are forgetting about the Covid year, which led many players to take the extra year in school, and come out this year instead of last. In that regard this isn’t a typical draft.
I will be completely shocked if there are 2 QBs in this draft who turn out good. The odds are never that good.

IMO QB is the only position they should pass on a 3 first round pick deal for, and that’s only if they believe they can take a guy that will make them a real contender for the next 10-15 years. If someone is offering 3 first rounders in exchange for us picking an OT or WR then I’m taking the deal.
It was more tongue in cheek. I agree if we don't love any of the QBs available at 3 and a team is offering you 3 firsts then take it.

However, I would rather take the best LT (assuming he is graded to be a true blue chip TL) in top 5 then get 3rd or 4th best LT and another 1st rounder.

I will be completely shocked if there are 2 QBs in this draft who turn out good. The odds are never that good.

It isn’t poker. The only thing that matters is your evaluations and if you are good at it or not. I’m sure the Chiefs odds of getting a first ballot HOF QB at 10 were infinitesimal, but they nailed the evaluation and came away with the best player in football.

ravens and steelers
flacco average,lamar a gimmick
ben good most years (never great imo) but steelers still in the mix when he got ****ty and post him.
talent evaluation,roster building and coaching are more important than an omgwtfbbq!!111! qb. look at mahomes. far and away the best in the league. offense was ****, but rest of team,particularly defense was why they won the sb this year. justin herbert,great talent,has been on 0 teams that won anything. eagles beat the pats with a backup qb in a sb,and are usually contenders. cowboys,dak is capable of being a sb winner,they have talent, have won 12 games 3 years in a row but can't find players who play big in big moments (very underrated as a goal of player evaluation and sometbing bb's regimes were good at). on and on.
In the last 23 years, there was few with real long term success. To me that is defined by winning division, going deep almost every year and winning at least 1 SB. All had really good or great QB play.

I am not saying QB is only reason but it is the most important ingredient by far.

Pats with Brady
Colts/Broncos with Manning
Steelers with Ben
Packers with Rodgers
Chiefs with Mahomes

Below that you have Seehawks with Wilson and Saints with Brees. Niners may turn out to be an exception.

It was more tongue in cheek. I agree if we don't love any of the QBs available at 3 and a team is offering you 3 firsts then take it.

However, I would rather take the best LT (assuming he is graded to be a true blue chip TL) in top 5 then get 3rd or 4th best LT and another 1st rounder.

I wouldn’t. You can get great position players in every first round, and to me 3 first round picks is exactly what you are going to need to go back up to get a CC franchise qb,

And one of them won’t be among the top guys. I’m thinking Bo Nix.

I hope that I am wrong, but the more I hear Mayo talk to the beat writers, the stronger the “not quite ready for this job” scent gets. The issues with the offense are obvious, but I am also nervous about the performance of the defense without Bill and Steve. Bill has seen it all and done it all on the defensive side of the ball, which is why he had such a remarkable ability (according to his players and his coaches) to predict how games will go. How much drop-off will there be in terms of game planning for opponents?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back