Jeremy Hill Tweets Injury Update Following ACL Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Jeremy Hill Tweets Injury Update Following ACL Surgery

Robert Alvarez

On Twitter Monday, New England Patriots running back Jeremy Hill announced he underwent successful ACL reconstruction surgery on his right knee.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

IIRC, there's usually a delay between injury and surgery for ACLs, presumably to allow swelling to subside. Two full months seems unusually long, though maybe it's not?

Anyway, the start of 2019 free agency is only five months away, and I have to wonder if Hill will be far enough along in his rehab/recovery for the Pats to be willing to re-sign him in March. Seems a tad unlikely to me, although some guys come back more quickly than others.

I have a feeling the Patriots bring Hill back.
Even if he starts the season on the PUP, it would be nice to have a player like that available week#7.

His willingness & production on special teams “blocked punt”, makes him a Belichick type player.

He also won’t be breaking the bank coming off ACL surgery.

There's no doubt imo that he would been back to form had he not torn his acl this season, what a deadly backfield we could of had

Sony
Hill
White
Burkhead

oh well.

IIRC, there's usually a delay between injury and surgery for ACLs, presumably to allow swelling to subside. Two full months seems unusually long, though maybe it's not?

Anyway, the start of 2019 free agency is only five months away, and I have to wonder if Hill will be far enough along in his rehab/recovery for the Pats to be willing to re-sign him in March. Seems a tad unlikely to me, although some guys come back more quickly than others.

Not sure Hill would want to re-sign here and be buried on our depth chart...it's obvious that Michel is the RB of the future here....

Not sure Hill would want to re-sign here and be buried on our depth chart...it's obvious that Michel is the RB of the future here....

I think it would be an excellent career move for Hill. No matter where he goes there will be another back ahead of him or at least his equal. And he will receive plenty of chances with an injury prone Michel and the way BB likes to manage backs.

With the Patriots, Hill will get prime time and playoff exposure while not having to worry about a heavy workload during the season coming off this injury.

What's not to like?

I think it would be an excellent career move for Hill. No matter where he goes there will be another back ahead of him or at least his equal. And he will receive plenty of chances with an injury prone Michel and the way BB likes to manage backs.

With the Patriots, Hill will get prime time and playoff exposure while not having to worry about a heavy workload during the season coming off this injury.

What's not to like?
He might also collect a couple more seasons of income than he would as a featured back with the reduced wear and tear. Smaller paychecks but more of them. Maybe make it to retirement without being destroyed.

Last edited:

What's not to like?

Yea and it would be on a defending Super Bowl Champion team :D

The question is will he regain Cat like quickness?

Waiting this much time from injury to surgery is unusually long, isn't it? Could be wrong, I'm no expert, but it sure seems that way.

OTOH, a lot can happen between now and the end of the Pats' season.

Regardless how Michel's season turns out, performance-wise as well as health-wise (also applies to Burkhead), the Pats could conceivably try to re-sign Hill in March for about the same contract he had this season, and he might be grateful for the extended opportunity. Being on a team, and having access to professional facilities and training/conditioning staff might accelerate his recovery beyond whatever he'd have access to on his own (unemployed).

OTOH, it seems to me that the typical time-frame for recovery from ACL surgery would push his ability to participate in actual practice back to about the start of Camp in late-July, so he'd likely be a "dead" spot on the 90-man off-season roster through OTAs. The Pats might be okay with that, the same way that they were okay with Mitchell and with others in the past. Depends on what they feel their off-season roster needs are when they get to that point.

The Pats could also wait until the eve of Camp to re-sign him (assuming he hasn't signed elsewhere).

Either way, the projected RB roster for Camp would then have a hypothetical base of Michel, Burkhead, White and Hill - same as this season, and still present great versatility and oodles of game-plan configuration/rotation permutations.

Waiting this much time from injury to surgery is unusually long, isn't it? Could be wrong, I'm no expert, but it sure seems that way.
8 weeks is on the long end for sure. Might have been something else going on with the knee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back