PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Taylor or Kevin Faulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope you guys do, do something stupid and get rid of Kevin Faulk. He has been a thorn in our side for far too long.

I would DEFINATELY not want FAULK the man to go, he's still a versatile low key weapon, he definately proved last year that he has a lot left in him!

Jason Taylor? Tell him to go dance some ballet.

One option is to cut Faulk and draft a running back or two to replace Faulk and Green-Ellis.

1) I do not want to cut Faulk under any circumstances. In fact, I would like to sign him to a 3 year extension before camp. This would save a bit of cap money.

Why not just wait it out. Perhaps Faulk will re-structure. Why bother starting a thread proposing we cut Faulk, especially when you don't want to cut him "under any circumstances".

I've never been a huge Kevin Faulk fan. The less he touches the ball, the lower my stress levels during a game.
There are numerous stress reduction techniques available. May I suggest you explore them. When you see Faulk lined up -- apply them at will. :rolleyes:

Without cutting players with major salaries, we will already need to have a restructure or two in order to sign the rookies and have the cap money to go into the season. That's fine. That's business as usual.

If we want Taylor, either he needs to play for about what Woods plays for or we will need to figure out where to get the cap monies.

One option is to cut Faulk and draft a running back or two to replace Faulk and Green-Ellis. Surely, Taylor AND Morris AND Maroney AND two rookies can handle the load and put us in good shaper for the future. Hopefully one of the rookies will turn out to be a major contributor.
===================

Well, I made the argument as best I can. My choice would be to extend Faulk and not worry about Taylor.

taylor bc ive herd his name on espn i think hes good

So, you believe that Green-Ellis is so good that he cannot be upgraded by a 3rd or 4th or perhaps even 5th or 6th round draft choice? Given all our draft choices, you think it makes NO SENSE to try to upgrade the RB position and drafting a player who would likely put Green-Ellis back on the Practice Squad?

I strongly disagree. I think that we have a fine foursome with Taylor, Morris, Faulk and Maroney. The question is what role a 5th RB might fill. That is an open question, one that Belichick is considering AS HE CONTINUES TO INTERVIEW RUNNING BACKS. To me, it makes no sense to believe that Green-Ellis is so good that we shouldn't look to draft a late round draftee to compete with him for a roster position. My personal preference is to sign or draft a blocking fullback. However, there are certainly other possibilities, including scat back, returner, short yardage back, and special team coverage or blciking star. IMHO, all these would be more valuable to the 53-man roster than Green-Ellis.

I think it depends on the progress of BGE. He looked pretty good last year when we NEEDED him to be the #1 back. He is on the cheap and appear to be pretty decent.

Could we do better with a 3rd or 4th round pick? Maybe (draft is no guarantee), but do I want to waste that high of a pick to replace a guy that I already consider a good backup who gets paid in peanuts? No, I don't.

Could we do better with a 5th or 6th round pick? Possible, but very unlikely. We got lucky with BGE as an undrafted FA. Most of those low round picks don't pan out. I think it is worth using one of them for competetion if we see a good prospect, but going out of our way to draft a RB to replace BGE?

I just don't see the prudence. There are other positions in far more need... with backups that are old.

It is not a matter of going out of our way to replace Green-Ellis. We need camp competition and another RB in case of injury. I'm fine with signing a free agent, before or after the draft.

However, there are now FOUR backs in front of him in the RB rotation. Green-Ellis would be inactive in every game. We would be just as well off with him on the Practice Squad, or in using the roster spot for a special teamer or defensive back. Aiken and Spann come to mind.

Of course, we should only use the pick if we can find someone who might fill a role or be a legitimate prospect for a major role in the future.

I think it depends on the progress of BGE. He looked pretty good last year when we NEEDED him to be the #1 back. He is on the cheap and appear to be pretty decent.

Could we do better with a 3rd or 4th round pick? Maybe (draft is no guarantee), but do I want to waste that high of a pick to replace a guy that I already consider a good backup who gets paid in peanuts? No, I don't.

Could we do better with a 5th or 6th round pick? Possible, but very unlikely. We got lucky with BGE as an undrafted FA. Most of those low round picks don't pan out. I think it is worth using one of them for competetion if we see a good prospect, but going out of our way to draft a RB to replace BGE?

I just don't see the prudence. There are other positions in far more need... with backups that are old.

It is not a matter of going out of our way to replace Green-Ellis. We need camp competition and another RB in case of injury. I'm fine with signing a free agent, before or after the draft.

However, there are now FOUR backs in front of him in the RB rotation. Green-Ellis would be inactive in every game. We would be just as well off with him on the Practice Squad, or in using the roster spot for a special teamer or defensive back. Aiken and Spann come to mind.

Of course, we should only use the pick if we can find someone who might fill a role or be a legitimate prospect for a major role in the future.

I agree, but don't forget injuries. He is only behind FOUR backs as long as they stay healthy. Based on the past couple of years, I would say that he will probably see some playing time... although I obviously hope I am proven wrong about potential injuries.

And in reality, he is not behind Faulk on the depth chart since Faulk has rarely been used as an every down back over the last 3-4 years. If one or both of Taylor/Morris go down (which did happen last year to Jordon/Morris), then BGE will be an important backup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore