PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jamaal Charles released

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy is probably done.

This sounds familiar....if it's Forte's definition then that means any team with $$$ to burn.

SMH.. I'm at a loss for words.. the idea that Charles is Lewis with breakaway speed is just mind-boggling and screams that you rarely watched Charles play.. Charles is a guy who has averaged 5.5 YPC during his career and has never been over 285 carries. In fact, his next highest is 259 carries.. Now, Charles DOES have over 300 TOUCHES (carries and catches combined) in a couple of different seasons.

I think you've got Charles and AP confused because AP is the one with 4 seasons of over 300 carries and another 2 over 279 (279 & 283). And that doesn't include receptions..
I am not confusing them the any back with over 300 carries was for both of them and just a comment in general on major wear and tear and how it affects the body. I would take a hard pass on either of them for more then a 1-2 year under 5 million dollar APY deal with an easy out if they suck. I have watched Charles and the reason he YPC is so high is he would take a 3 yard toss and turn it into a 50 yard TD. Not what IMO this offense needs as it already has that guy in Lewis. Now the guy who can get you 4-10 yards every play? Yes please

Hello Jamaal.

Having trouble understanding the whole....Jamaal Charles doesn't fit our offense. He's esstential the perfect back for our offense (in theory). He's not just break away speed..he can pick up tough yards ...and he's a terror receving out of the backfield.

Saying that acknolwedeging the fact that back to back injuries like his MAY have accelerated his decline and the statement that he's no better than Lewis could be true.

He's basically been out of commission for 2 years now, and he was right at his apex when he got hurt. I think the fact that he couldn't make it back and play effectively this past season is a bit of a red flag, it's entirely possible he's done. But the Pats would be wise to kick the tires on him, since the release was almost certainly a cap-related move. Even if he was 100% with no lingering injury issues, there's still a pretty good chance he would've been cut due to his cap figure and the quality of KC's other RBs.

Healthy Charles is pretty much the prototypical Patriots dual threat RB, of he's even 90% of the player he used to be he could be extraordinarily productive here.

Yeah, I liked the idea of Peterson, but this would be a way better fit if Charles still has it. He looked good before the knee. I didn't follow the rehab though. Were there setbacks?

Ive always been a huge Charles fan. Averages 5.5 yards per carry in his career. He was injured the last two years so it is a risky signing but for cheap money I could see them giving him a shot. Hes a great runner and receiver. I think he is kinda similar to Lewis but hes bigger and taller and can carry more of a load.

Sure, camp invite.

He's a big name, but the guys blown out his knee twice. No way I'd commit substantial money to him until he shows what he can do on the field currently.

If Charles can give us 2 years of "vintage Jamaal" when his number is called (part of a rbbc) he's absolutely worth a look.

However in this market both the packers and giants are in position where they may make a guy like Charles #1 priority

Umm.. Don't look now, but Dion Lewis was the primary back to start the 2015 season and he became the Primary back closing out the 2016/2017 season.

The same Chris Johnson who had two 300+ carry seasons early in his career and then averaged 272 carries for the 3 years after that.. That Chris Johnson? It's pretty established that someone with that kind of wear on him is going to be slowing down much quicker than someone who hasn't ever gone over 285 carries.

Charles is right at 200 lbs..

Not to mention that Chris Johnson remained a productive RB through last season, even with that wear and tear on him. If that's the 'bad' comp then I'll still take it, and that's without accounting for how Charles has always been a better and more versatile RB than Johnson.

And 200 was Charles' combine weight, I'm pretty sure he's 5-10 pounds over that now. It looked like he added some muscle after his 2011 ACL tear to make himself a more effective between-the-tackles runner while his burst was returning. It's part of why his peak came after the first ACL tear, because it made him a more complete RB.

Last edited:
Get him. He's a Pats running back if i ever saw one. He can give us the pass catching back as well as the threat of someone running, which can cause defences a lot of issues. Whereas if we have Blount 95% of the time they know its a run.

Ive always been a huge Charles fan. Averages 5.5 yards per carry in his career. He was injured the last two years so it is a risky signing but for cheap money I could see them giving him a shot. Hes a great runner and receiver. I think he is kinda similar to Lewis but hes bigger and taller and can carry more of a load.
Same here ... Always was a Charles fan. He's 200lbs but he can bang..

No thanks.

We already have White and Lewis in the backfield. Another flex back is not what we need at RB.

Can we sign Charles and put him on PUP and then activate him for the 2nd half of the season? Or maybe Lewis is gonna start on PUP and we can start Charles the 1st half. Then the James white show in the playoffs.

Can you elaborate on why?

Below:

Every leading ball carrier for the Pats since 2001 has been atleast 220+ lbs. We run a power offense.

Jamaal Charles is a sub-200 lb. speed RB. He's 30 and speed usually goes first (Chris Johnson).

I don't see a BB running game of three small RBs.

Umm.. Don't look now, but Dion Lewis was the primary back to start the 2015 season and he became the Primary back closing out the 2016/2017 season.

The same Chris Johnson who had two 300+ carry seasons early in his career and then averaged 272 carries for the 3 years after that.. That Chris Johnson? It's pretty established that someone with that kind of wear on him is going to be slowing down much quicker than someone who hasn't ever gone over 285 carries.

Charles is right at 200 lbs..

Certainly a fair point. Blount was still getting a lot of work with Lewis.(pretty sure more carries in both instances). We'd need a power RB with Charles. Who are you making inactive in that case: Lewis or White?

No thanks.

We already have White and Lewis in the backfield. Another flex back is not what we need at RB.

I echo @luuked thoughts.

Charles is done. He can't stay healthy and has lost his speed and agility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes