PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is our defense this good?

Oh you mean when the LB's were 4 years younger? When in the NFL people age in dog years. Jesus, each year is different, players fall off a cliff pretty fast, we've seen that again and again. Let's argue about our LB's that were still in their prime but on the backend of it 4 years ago, vs. last year when they couldn't cover **** over the middle. JJones gave them a chance to play man. Once he went down and there was no one else that could keep up with them. They had to switch to zone. If they had a faster linebacker core that could have kept up at all in coverage, they could have continued to play man. I don't know why this is so hard, and why you have enough time to argue every point to death with literally everyone on the board. Are you retired? On disability, or do you just live in your parent's basement?
I can tell I made you mad, because 2 days of posting has got you in a personal tizzy. Its simply not my fault you cant understand something using actual logic. You dont want to use any of their history over the last decade, sure. Use last year, oh wait you did. You mentioned a CORNERBACK getting hurt and them switching schemes while the LBs didnt change. Thanks for agreeing that it had nothing to do with the linebackers. This isnt hard for me. You saying if the LBs were faster theyd still play man? You watch alot of football with Linebackers playing press man against receivers? Odd I mustve missed that

As for 2018, the linebackers were playing man against receivers back then? In cover 0? I get it, you dont really understand what youre talking about, and thats fine. If you need help, dont be afraid to ask. I do remember Hightower, Van Noy and Elandon Roberts chasing receivers around the field!

My apologies though for being too detailed in talking out my Patriots points on a site to talk about the patriots. I will improve on that and become lazier

Last edited:
I can tell I made you mad, because 2 days of posting has got you in a personal tizzy. Its simply not my fault you cant understand something using actual logic. You dont want to use any of their history over the last decade, sure. Use last year, oh wait you did. You mentioned a CORNERBACK getting hurt and them switching schemes. Thanks for agreeing that it had nothing to do with the linebackers. You saying if they were faster theyd still play man? You watch alot of football with Linebackers playing press man against receivers? Odd I mustve missed that

As for 2018, the linebackers were playing man against receivers back then? In cover 0? I get it, you dont really understand what youre talking about, and thats fine. If you need help, dont be afraid to ask. I do remember Hightower, Van Noy and Elandon Roberts chasing receivers around the field!

My apologies though for being too detailed in talking out my Patriots points on a site to talk about the patriots. I will improve on that and become lazier
No you moron, you can go to a hybrid, where you play inside zone and press man on the outside. And give your corner help over the middle. The LB's weren't even fast enough to do that. So they ended up going to full zone coverage. I haven't read all your stupid posts. I don't care. Here's my solution to your ongoing and never-ending ability to reply to every message all day. Ignore.

No you moron, you can go to a hybrid, where you play inside zone and press man on the outside. And give your corner help over the middle. The LB's weren't even fast enough to do that. So they ended up going to full zone coverage. I haven't read all your stupid posts. I don't care. Here's my solution to your ongoing and never-ending ability to reply to every message all day. Ignore.
So you can stay in man when your linebackers are slow? Which is what they did for a decade? Thanks for confirming and agreeing with me. Your logic is laughable. I don’t need tips from you, appreciate the help though!

It appears we're using two different aspects of the word "coverage" - player type vs. man/zone. I don't disagree that the offensive personnel grouping changes the "who" the defense plays on any given play/series,
You do? Even if that were remotely disputable, and it’s not, there’s one very famous example in Patriots lore from the last decade which proves that statement wrong.
Sorry, I'm confused by this part of the reply: "I don't disagree" with response "You do?". Or was it supposed to be a statement instead of a question "You do." (which still is puzzling, but at least makes some sense)?

You originally stated. "Offensive personnel dictates the opposing defensive personnel, which will then dictate coverage." which was the aspect I agreed with - so what exactly was in dispute in the initial agreement?

From the rest of the discussion, apparently there is zero, nada, none, zip consideration of a defense's personnel's skills in what defense they play - got it.

So why are we even discussing in these threads predictions of "more zone" as a likely alignment for this year if that's all dictated by what the other offense does?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back