PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Culpepper Saban's first big mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with everything you said about his past. And for the immediate future, he will not be able to scramble like he did. I treat injuries like his knee and say what you want about running and cutting during rehab, but wait till a 300 pound lineman hits you or a Bruschi is chasing you down. Two different worlds. He may be able to recover after this year, but will be restricted the up coming season.

I don't think Culpepper will work out in Miami because I don't think the Fins had any intention of getting him in the first place. Think about it - their 1st choice was Drew Brees and their 2nd choice was a totally different style of QB in Daunte. I think Miami just used the threat of trading for Culp to lower Brees' salary demand, much like Brees used the Saints' higher offer to get more money from the Fins. In the end neither Brees or Miami got what they REALLY wanted, their bluffs were called and now are suffering the consequences.

Culpepper is a 'name' QB that can provide some instant credibility to the Fins, but I think his flaws will show quickly in a tougher conference.

joesixpat.....

JoeSixPat said:
Saban's not afraid of making mistakes - neither is BB - who has been known to make a few himself.

Every player presents a degree of risk.

My feeling is that Culpepper is a high risk/high reward player. His salary and injury present a high risk that will hurt the team's cap situation if he doesn't return to form.

The reward is that he his a MUCH better QB than Ferrotte, even if he isn't playing at 2004 levels.

Ultimately Culpepper's salary makes him a bigger risk than other FA QBs but the reward is potentially greater as well.

We won't know if its an actual mistake for quite some time.

Have they announced what his salary will be in Miami? What did they sign him for or are they assuming what the Vikes were paying him....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents