PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is andy reid a top 10 coach of all time?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is he?

• Yes

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 17 26.6%

• Total voters
I didn't say he didn't. But not having the team ready to play is just as important as in game decisions. And I was replying to someone that seemed to imply that our overtime loss in the afccg is somehow worse than a 30 point loss in the first round. It was a bad beat for sure, but all of us would rather play for a chance to go to the Super Bowl and we have had that chance 4 years in a row.

I didn't say he didn't. But not having the team ready to play is just as important as in game decisions. And I was replying to someone that seemed to imply that our overtime loss in the afccg is somehow worse than a 30 point loss in the first round. It was a bad beat for sure, but all of us would rather play for a chance to go to the Super Bowl and we have had that chance 4 years in a row.

Given the talent disparity between the two teams, I don't think the criticism is unwarranted. Reid has talent on that team that is unmatched since maybe the late 90s Rams teams. BB took a less talented team to the Super Bowl in four out of five years, winning three. He's earned forgiveness for losing big in the Wild Card with a rookie quarterback and the state of our skill positions being what they are.

EDIT - For what it's worth, Reid did the same thing with the Eagles back in the 2000s. Those were also talented teams that couldn't get over the hump.

Given the talent disparity between the two teams, I don't think the criticism is unwarranted. Reid has talent on that team that is unmatched since maybe the late 90s Rams teams. BB took a less talented team to the Super Bowl in four out of five years, winning three. He's earned forgiveness for losing big in the Wild Card with a rookie quarterback and the state of our skill positions being what they are.

EDIT - For what it's worth, Reid did the same thing with the Eagles back in the 2000s. Those were also talented teams that couldn't get over the hump.
Achieve or don't achieve I think is what you guys said when I mentioned that part of the disparity between the careers of Reid and Bill was talent, particularly at quarterback. No excuses. Win or don't. Good coaches coach the players up and develop them.

BTW, I agree that Bill has earned a lot of forgiveness. But you can't compare the career of a coach with the greatest quarterback ever to a coach with Alex Smith and McNabb and say the only thing that matters is Super Bowls. Reid accomplished less, but had less talent over that time period.

Achieve or don't achieve I think is what you guys said when I mentioned that part of the disparity between the careers of Reid and Bill was talent, particularly at quarterback. No excuses. Win or don't. Good coaches coach the players up and develop them.

BTW, I agree that Bill has earned a lot of forgiveness. But you can't compare the career of a coach with the greatest quarterback ever to a coach with Alex Smith and McNabb and say the only thing that matters is Super Bowls. Reid accomplished less, but had less talent over that time period.

This argument is kinda all over the place here. BB achieved. Those other 10 coaches I listed (plus Lambeau) achieved more than Reid.

You said no excuses. So you want to talk about excuses for Reid for his career? But not for BB in one Wild Card game?

When it comes to coaching players up with less talent, BB is in a class by himself.

This argument is kinda all over the place here. BB achieved. Those other 10 coaches I listed (plus Lambeau) achieved more than Reid.

You said no excuses. So you want to talk about excuses for Reid for his career? But not for BB in one Wild Card game?

When it comes to coaching players up with less talent, BB is in a class by himself.
I never said "no excuses". Everyone here did. I was quoting them. According to people here, Reid had to win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith or he's not in the same category as Bill. That's a stupid argument. Bill might have won a Super Bowl without Brady. Or he absolutely might not have. He certainly hasn't yet.

We've seen over and over where a quarterback changes an otherwise pedestrian coach's career. John Fox, Gary Kubiak, Dan Reeves, Marv Levy, Bruce Arians, Tom Landry. It's not really an excuse. It's just a fact of coaching in the NFL. Bill is the same coach with Cam Newton as he was with Brady. But the results differ a lot.

Call me when he has accomplished something without Brady. Or quit using Super Bowls as the only litmus test.

Is Chumley a top-10 HC of All Time?

**** NO.

Reid is 5th all time in wins. He's 21st all time in win % (13th among coaches with 100 total games). 3rd in playoff games. 4th in playoff wins. Tied for 9th in conference championship appearances. As long as he keeps caching with Mahomes as his QB, he is likely to move up all of these lists.

Why are we arguing this? Anyone who denies his status among the all time greats is blinded by homerism. It's the same disease that impacts all the people to ignorant to give Peyton Manning his due.
I said this under the assumption that the Chiefs would win Sunday. Now I reconsider.

To be a top 10 team all time, you need to have piloted more than one champion. There is no shame in a near-miss, we've crapped ourselves in the second half of an AFCC game before, but this year seemed like the easiest path they're going to see with this current roster.

BB to me, is cursed with having had the greatest QB in the history of the game as his guy. Until he wins without him, it will be his albatross.

Great QB's can make any coach look good. Manning in Indy, Manny in Denver, Farve with the Jets and Minnesota, and Brady with the red face moron. I mean, who the heck even remembers the coach of Minnesota when Farve was there!

No not at all ….he has Mahomes, Hill and kelce…..a blind monkey could have success with that
So does Bill B get knocked for having Brady? I mean Bill has not taken 2 different teams to 4 straight Conf Championship games. Really poor logic...

So does Bill B get knocked for having Brady? I mean Bill has not taken 2 different teams to 4 straight Conf Championship games. Really poor logic...

GTFO with that sh!t, troll.

the tomlin/reid debate is interesting
Reid has both greater strengths and greater weaknesses as a head coach than Tomlin.

Reid is a great offensive mind and developer of quarterbacks (look what he got out of the husks of Jeff Garcia, Michael Vick and Alex Smith, never mind Mahomes), but he's also prone to utterly game-destroying moron gaffes in a way that Tomlin just isn't.

Tomlin is boring but also more dependable. Yeah the Pats clowned on him, but we clowned on Cowher too.

Reid is in the top spot for fattest coach of all time. When i saw a sideline shot of him last week i thought of a charactor out of the sci fie book Dune, who was so fat he couldn't walk. He had helium or hydrogen balloons attached to him so he could move around.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back