Votes: 3 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 62.5%
  • Ray Lewis with the white suit in the ally

Votes: 15 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A year early rather than a year late. That is BB and that is what made this team what it has been. The past is irrelevant. It's all about what can you bring to the table today, tomorrow, and a season from now. Last January may as well be 20 years ago.

26xste.jpg

How many of those players touched the ball on 100% of snaps they were on the field again? Comparing a starting QB to a 3rd down RB is pretty disingenuous.

*edit: Not to mention a WR or S or LB that plays as part of a rotation. Different positions that rotate people in and out have different standards than a position like QB that is on the field and touching the ball every single play their unit is on the field.

Last edited:
Even if the pats had a top five pick and got a top QB prospect, I still give the chances of a perfectly successful transition to the next QB at 10 percent. Sometimes you get Derrek Carr and sometimes you get David Carr.

This said, I want to see the Tom Brady movie end with all of its glory, even if that means risking a sh*tshow in the future. The risk is there anyways.

People cite the Favre to Rodgers as being an ideal transition. But imagine how sucky it was to be a cheesehead and see Favre play in a different uniform. But who wants to see the GOAT play for the Jets and Vikings to end it while they are getting his statue polished in Foxboro? Not me.

I do think BB takes a QB fairly early though, like in one of his top 3-4 selections.

Even if the pats had a top five pick and got a top QB prospect, I still give the chances of a perfectly successful transition to the next QB at 10 percent. Sometimes you get Derrek Carr and sometimes you get David Carr.

This said, I want to see the Tom Brady movie end with all of its glory, even if that means risking a sh*tshow in the future. The risk is there anyways.

People cite the Favre to Rodgers as being an ideal transition. But imagine how sucky it was to be a cheesehead and see Favre play in a different uniform. But who wants to see the GOAT play for the Jets and Vikings to end it while they are getting his statue polished in Foxboro? Not me.

I do think BB takes a QB fairly early though, like in one of his top 3-4 selections.
Derek Carr really isn’t that great either lol. Texans ruined David with that horrific line.

How many of those players touched the ball on 100% of snaps they were on the field again? Comparing a starting QB to a 3rd down RB is pretty disingenuous.

*edit: Not to mention a WR or S or LB that plays as part of a rotation. Different positions that rotate people in and out have different standards than a position like QB that is on the field and touching the ball every single play their unit is on the field.

To say your argument sucks would be an insult to the word "sucks". Brady was coming off of a Super Bowl winning season last year. This year, he was the league MVP and threw for 500 yards in the Super Bowl. This isn't even a "year early" argument, at this point.

Go read up on the first rule of holes.

To say your argument sucks would be an insult to the word "sucks". Brady was coming off of a Super Bowl winning season last year. This year, he was the league MVP and threw for 500 yards in the Super Bowl. This isn't even a "year early" argument, at this point.

Go read up on the first rule of holes.

************. I never said Brady was bad, or even less good. I am saying he will be 41 before the start of the season. Nobody on Earth realistically expects him to play another 5 years. The only real questions are how many he will actually play, and will they be up to established standards? Logic says that he will drop off sooner rather than later, and if BB did think Garoppolo was good enough to be the next 10+ year starter for the team then it's stupid to trade that for a single 2nd round pick while hoping that Brady will be playing at a high level in his mid-40s.

Not just 'cuz. If there's someone worth making the move for left and Bill wants to go QB in the first round, I'm not going to argue with him, but there's no need to force it. Plenty of successful QB's come out of later rounds. Heck, TB himself is Exhibit A

I think Brady threw "45 years old" out there just to deflect endless speculation and questions on his retirement.

It would have been a shock for him to retire this offseason, but after this year he could hang it up any time.

We need a QB.

Another thought, that fifth year could be a real bargain not having to pay a star QB salary of 20+ on a new deal. Even if Brady isn’t around. That’s not to say we have to reach for somebody, but I’d think Bill definitely would keep it in mind.
Actually, they should be looking for a quarterback who is not only good at his position, but is handsome enough to marry a super model or movie star and thus will be able to give the Patriots a "hometown discount" on his salary, as Brady has done.

************. I never said Brady was bad, or even less good.

I never said you did. You were talking about "one year early" regarding a QB who's gone to the SB 2 consecutive years, was MVP in one of those seasons, and would have been MVP in the other if he'd played a full season.

I am saying he will be 41 before the start of the season. Nobody on Earth realistically expects him to play another 5 years. The only real questions are how many he will actually play, and will they be up to established standards? Logic says that he will drop off sooner rather than later, and if BB did think Garoppolo was good enough to be the next 10+ year starter for the team then it's stupid to trade that for a single 2nd round pick while hoping that Brady will be playing at a high level in his mid-40s.

And, like I said, your argument sucks. Max Kellerman, 2016:

After pointing out that Brady will turn 39 next week, an age at which very few NFL quarterbacks have even played at an average level, Kellerman said, “Will it be this year? Not necessarily. I can see Brady, if he gets through the year without an injury, putting up big numbers.

“But then it’ll be next,” he continued. “He’ll be terrible by the middle of next season.”

Tom Brady ‘is going to be a bum’ soon, says Max Kellerman on ‘First Take’

Bill Belichick, 2014:

“The situation we have at quarterback, I think that we felt as an organization that we needed to address that to some degree in the future, so we’ll see how all that works out,” Belichick said during his opening statement. “I think we’re better off being early than being late at that position.”

"We know what Tom’s age and contract situation is.

Bill Belichick mentions Tom Brady's age as a reason for drafting Jimmy Garoppolo

We hit "A year early" somewhere back in 2014 or 2015.

Last edited:
Halfway through the season I was hoping that Josh Allen would fall to us. Would have been a perfect scenario: developmental QB that has all the necessary physical trait, sitting behind Brady for a year or two?

As of right now though, I don't think anyone is worth drafting at #31 since all the top QB prospect will be long gone before then.

I definitely think we need to draft a developmental QB.

I must be in the minority that cannot understand why everyone seems to think Brady has a year or so left. I seen NO falloff in his game this year. Matter of fact he looked to be still at the TOP of his game. I do know the end is coming but I believe he has at least three years left.

So yes draft a QB. But this is still in my mind not a desperate need. A future need yes

Not after seeing the end of Tom vs time. I did believe it till then
The end of tom vs time?
Where the guy who did a documentary about the challenges of “beating time” discussing the challenges of beating time?

As I understand the point, we would have 5 years of control for a quarterback drafted at 31. We should do it if one of the QB's is worthy. And, we should likely do it agains next year. Then, when Brady decides to leave, we will have backups who know the system.

The fact that the top 3 QB's will be long gone by 31 is a non-argument IMHO. Won't that be the case next year also. Unless our future is paying $25M a yer for a QB, in addition to Brady's dead money, the time to draft quarterbacks is now.

The reason that I voted "no" is that 4 years may be enough this time, or not.

Last edited:
I'd prefer lb, pass rusher, or ot.

If Max Kellerman is anywhere near as well-known off this board as on it, that quote's got to be on the inside of Brady's locker, right next to the portrait of Dorian Gray.

I love this subject, because it's such a mirror of how our minds operate. We have an unknown; some will assert knowledge of the unknown. Some are cautious and assert that they do not know the unknown, which, by definition, is the state of affairs.

Not only is Brady's retirement date unknown because each individual is different, it's even unknowner because he's the "first of his kind." They just don't last that long, and he did.

I don't watch American Ninja Warrior, but it was on in the background last night.

The big prize is 1 million dollars if you get declared a "Ninja Warrior" by finishing the whole obstacle course. For 7 seasons, nobody's done it.

Then a guy did it last night.

Then another guy did it last night.

Then the last stage is this rope climb you have to do in 30 seconds. One guy makes it up in 29 and some fraction. The other guy makes it up in 26.

Check this out - the first guy didn't get a penny. He could have done what he did any night in the last 7 years except last night, and gone home a millionaire. But nooooooo.

And that first guy's name was Peyton Manning. JUST KIDDING.

So anyway, that's a made-for-TV sport. I don't rule out that they just straight-up rigged the course to be easier. Other explanations: After 7 years, they were "due," because the athletes copied the most successful biomechanical solutions (think Fosberry Flop in high jumping). What had never been done in Season 3 was ho-hum by now (speculating.)

With Brady, you can't even read the little clues that he's about to suck, until the decline's complete. He's a different class of warrior when it comes to the enemy of bodily (and mind) decay.

We might or might not see a new era of QB tenacity in this regard.

There's a chicken-and-egg factor that goes into this: Winning breeds competitiveness, to stay at that summit or to scale it again. What if you're Tom Brady, and you're on a shlitzshow of a franchise? What if you have any other story than his? What if you have exactly the right kind of confidence and exactly the right kind of humility, but the team around you won't get on your back when you're ready to carry it on your back?

With that first ring, TFB galvanized the franchise. By the third one, he was a legend. That huddle/locker room/etc. was his in a unique way. To slightly mis-apply a quote from the late great Junior Seau, may he rest in peace, playing with Tom meant you might become part of ever.

So with all those factors, other variables fall into exactly the right place, if all those factors are in place. Tom gets it into his head that he isn't done or close to done, just b/c of a number. Tom has another run of Super Bowls just as he "should be" becoming expendable.

Then Tom's faced with a future in which he'll be counted out and there's nothing he can do about it.

Seriously, you're going to tell Tom Brady that?

Enter strange workout routines, avocado ice cream, and for all we know pentagrams drawn with the monthly flow of a virgin. Tom beats out the promise of "the next Brady" in Jimmy G.

Sorry to Saturday-morning ramble here. The upshot is, we don't know what we don't know. This is a little different from "hoping that Warren Moon finally gets to a SB."

It's a guy with a chance to win it all every season.

As to whether we need to draft a QB in the first, we either do or we do not. If we do, it will either be worth it, or it won't. Please nobody turn all JETE-fan and cry about whatever we decide to do.

And please don't cry if the guy does take the reins from Brady before Brady's ready, despite my love letter above.

And short answer, I don't think we pick a QB in the first, but all I know is that I don't know. That and the fact that my random binkie, TE David Wells of San Diego State, will be a New England Patriots (tongue in cheek, of course).

They traded Jimmy thinking that Brady will be around for a few more years, they have Hoyer, don't waste yet another draft pick on a QB, especially a high round pick. Maybe draft some guys who won't give up 41 points to a back up QB running a schoolyard offense!!!!

They traded Jimmy thinking that Brady will be around for a few more years, they have Hoyer, don't waste yet another draft pick on a QB, especially a high round pick. Maybe draft some guys who won't give up 41 points to a back up QB running a schoolyard offense!!!!

Yes, Brady is expected to be around for another 2-5 years. And no, we couldn't afford to PAY both Brady and Jimmy. It does NOT follow that we shouldn't draft a quarterback who would be low cost, as would any of the quarterbacks that we could draft at the end of the first, or in the second.

We need to start trying to find the QB who will start when Brady leaves, or even a long-term backup. The best case would be a quarterback that was a so good in camp that we could afford to cut Hoyer. The more likely case is that we would need to carry 3 quarterbacks.

Last edited:
It takes two full seadons to even attempt to get the system down at the position of QB. The first year is basically just getting your feet wet, taking in the culture, and trying to absorb everything.

That means that if the team drafted a QB this year (which they almost certainly will), we’ll still need to depend on Brady playing for two more years. Do you really want to risk it and wait until next year, especially when Brady and others close to him have pumped the brakes in dramatic fashion on any talk of him playing for another four years? I will be very grateful if he plays for 2 more seasons while our new QB attempts to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe