PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm getting tired of the rivalry talk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richter

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
There is no rivalry. You can't have a rivalry when one team wins every meaningful contest for years on end. The Jets are not rivals. They're just another bunch of scrubs that get rolled every year by the Patriots. That's going to be their fate again this weekend, period. Brady, Cassel, hell, get Ryan Leaf in there - they aren't winning. Fatboy Jenkins will be sucking wind by the second quarter, Favre will be throwing to the wrong team more often than Mangini eats a donut, and there will be serious concern about Randy Moss' back - that is, concern from the Jets from watching it while he heads into the endzone. I've had enough of the crap being spewed about the Jets being favorite now and all the other ridiculous talk, perpetuated by the mental midgets in Bristol - let's watch what happens this weekend, then move on to worry about the REAL obstacles to the Lombardi.

Exactly, this is like the Yankees/Sox rivalry pre-2004... what rivalry? The Yankees always won out in the end.

11-2 in the Brady era against them... and his shoulder was a mess for one of those Jets wins (2nd meeting, 2002)... what rivalry?

There is no rivalry. You can't have a rivalry when one team wins every meaningful contest for years on end. The Jets are not rivals. They're just another bunch of scrubs that get rolled every year by the Patriots. That's going to be their fate again this weekend, period. Brady, Cassel, hell, get Ryan Leaf in there - they aren't winning. Fatboy Jenkins will be sucking wind by the second quarter, Favre will be throwing to the wrong team more often than Mangini eats a donut, and there will be serious concern about Randy Moss' back - that is, concern from the Jets from watching it while he heads into the endzone. I've had enough of the crap being spewed about the Jets being favorite now and all the other ridiculous talk, perpetuated by the mental midgets in Bristol - let's watch what happens this weekend, then move on to worry about the REAL obstacles to the Lombardi.

Amen brotha!!

In all seriousness, yes your correct. The real obstacle is the final result of winning the Lombardi!

GO PATS!! BEAT THEM RATS!!

I don't know why we are even playing the game this week then?

I think they should just simply make the Pats 2-0 and the Jets 1-1 and give the guys on both teams the day off

At 38,Favre definately can use the time off to go play bingo or something like that ,that old people do

Last edited:
Exactly, this is like the Yankees/Sox rivalry pre-2004... what rivalry? The Yankees always won out in the end.

11-2 in the Brady era against them... and his shoulder was a mess for one of those Jets wins (2nd meeting, 2002)... what rivalry?

You guys are saying rivals should be equals and that's not the case.

Dallas could beat the Redskins six times in a row and they are still rivals.

You could call it a one-sided rivalry, but it's still a rivalry.

You guys are saying rivals should be equals and that's not the case.

Dallas could beat the Redskins six times in a row and they are still rivals.

You could call it a one-sided rivalry, but it's still a rivalry.

Rivalry - the act of competing as for profit or a prize

When one team can't compete, it's not a rivalry. And the Jets haven't been able to compete with us for years.

When one team can't compete, it's not a rivalry. And the Jets haven't been able to compete with us for years.

I guess we just disagree.

Hey, we LOSE to the Jets sometimes. They play hard. IT is often close.

And everyone here HATES ManJudas.

Its a frickin rivalry, no hiding from it. Embrace the tension, hatred and pressure :D

Whether you want to call it a rivalry or not, I think it's fair to say it's always a grudge match given the teams' recent (and not so recent) history.

Last edited:
This is really silly. By this argument all 31 teams are rivals.

I think there isa great rivalry with the jets among new fans (last 10 years). I think older fans think of Indy, the steelers and miami. San Diego is making a charge to be in this group. Miami is on the outs recently.

The Jets - Patriots rivalry is a different type of rivalry then Colts - Patriots. It is not unlike the the Red Sox - Yankees rivalry pre-2004, one-sided.

I think there isa great rivalry with the jets among new fans (last 10 years). I think older fans think of Indy, the steelers and miami. San Diego is making a charge to be in this group. Miami is on the outs recently.

I think the rivalry is real, remember in the 80's and 90's affectionately referred to as the lean years, would come to work and all the Jets and Miami fans would come to work with their fan gear on and NEPATS gear was scarcer than hen's teeth.. They would all be wearing their putrid shades of green.. and would talk about how great their teams were and put down the Pats.. as far as I am concerned the Jets and butthole dolphins can go winless for the next 10 years and never will relieve the dislike for their fans.. there will always be a rivalry.

IMHO the Patriots have a rivalry with every other team in the league.

seriously though, the Jets were what 4-12 last year
We were what 16-0. They aren't even in the same class (even with Favre).

and yet they are favourites for this game. go figure.

As an AFCE team located the cloosest to Ne, the Jets always have been and always will be our rivals.

It doesn't matter if we have dominated them recently. There is just too much history between the teams starting since the old AFL days. Yes, they are our rivals

IMHO the Patriots have a rivalry with every other team in the league.

seriously though, the Jets were what 4-12 last year
We were what 16-0. They aren't even in the same class (even with Favre).

and yet they are favourites for this game. go figure.

It isn't just Farve. If Brady was the QB we would be the favorites.

Jets 1st string vs. Patriots 2nd team = Rivalry

Patriots 1st string vs. Jets 1st string = Not a Rivalry

The way I look at it is like this: there's on-field rivalries (NE-IND) and there's 'other' rivalries (NE-NYJ). Whether the teams on the field provide for great drama or the front offices/fan bases provide it, the Jets-Pats matchup always provides some added element that, to me, constitutes a rivalry.

All those years the Yankees beat up on the Red Sox, it was the same thing: there was enough off-the-field drama and enough vitriol among the fan bases that it could be considered a true rivalry even if one team dominated the scoreboard. The Patriots have owned the Jets--and the division--this whole decade, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been enough of an off-field element to make it compelling: Parcells going to the Jets, Belichick going to the Pats, numerous players moving back and forth (most notably, in my eyes, Curtis Martin), the Spygate fiasco happening on Jets turf, caused by the Jets, and on and on...add in a fan base that is unrealistically arrogant and a fan base that has reason to be arrogant, and you have...a rivalry!

You can say that the Pats have beaten up on the Jets, but you also can't deny that these games mean a bit more because of what's happened the past decade.

Last edited:
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-3-79/Jets-Pats-rivalry-transcends-games.html

ESPN article on the rivalry, specifcally from the team end rather than the fans end...

OK article, though they forget to mention two things...
1) Parcells and his infamous phone calls to Hempstead from his hotel room during Super Bowl week.
2) Mangini locked out, yes, but he also didn't mention Mangini recruiting players and coaches on the elimination flight back from Denver.

If the Patriots and Jets are a rivalry, then the hammer and the nail are a rivalry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back