PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'd love to hear from the "Kevin Faulk Might Get Cut" crowd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will admit to that I said there was a possibility he could be cut if they found someone who could fill his role for less just because no one is uncutable, but I thought Sammy Morris was more likely to be cut than Faulk since they were going after Sammy Morris type of RBs.

I never ever said that Faulk deserved to be cut though. I thought he still productive as ever, but the Pats' trend is to cut a player before he declines not after.

a bit defensive about the OP call you out?

Faulk has had many games like the one today. You say "2 third down conversions a game"... which is an understatement, but let's go with it... those 2 plays are usually 2 of the most critical in the game. Those are times when we are in 3rd and long situations and the opposition has all the long options covered... faulk gets the dump off and despite 1 or 2 defenders, makes the first down happen with incredible effort. Maybe L.Jordon could do it or maybe someone else. Maybe. Faulk makes it happen on a very regular basis. On 3rd down, only Welker is more dependible for getting it done.

That is a valuable asset. Not worth talk of cutting him IMO.

I'm not defensive at all actually I am just saying at the time it was a legitimate discussion. Like is said I am happy Faulk is here and I respect the role he fills. But, this thread is a knee jerk reaction to a good game. I'm willing to bet that anyone that mentioned the possibility of Faulk getting cut would also admit that he can make plays still

THANK YOU to those of you unwilling to be LAZY (like I was) in rooting out the posts that back up my point here. I'm surprised so many here didn't remember. It was appalling. Glad most people get how valuable Faulk is to this team.

Here's a favorite from that thread:

RIP#40...

I am not as enamored with KF as most of you. To me he is strictly a catch the ball out of the backfield back. IMO he is nothing special running the ball, he can pass block, but according to Miguel's page he is due to make 3.5 next season. The team needs to get younger. Like Willie and TJ (I believe he knew what was coming and retired) the Patriots don't mind getting rid of popular players if they don't think they are worth the money.

I'm not defensive at all actually I am just saying at the time it was a legitimate discussion. Like is said I am happy Faulk is here and I respect the role he fills. But, this thread is a knee jerk reaction to a good game. I'm willing to bet that anyone that mentioned the possibility of Faulk getting cut would also admit that he can make plays still

If you saw the game highlights last year against the Colts you could see Faulk (with TFB) rallying the troops when we where down 20-17 and he was the one scoring the winning touchdown on that game. Everyone knows here that he is a very clutch player and I believe he is the best 3rd down back in the league. Even at his age.

I have been here less than a year and I know that on the draft forum around draft time there was talk about wanting a RB that could catch to back up Faulk. I think that appropriate considering we always look for "bargains/steals" in the draft. But that would be to BACK UP Faulk, not replace. And this was before we got Jordan. Is it me, or does BB like OLD RBs too?? Maroney is always in the doghouse right??

Somebody write this down:

first critical 2 pt conversion of the season (probably in the playoffs) - direct snap to Kevin Faulk. Saw it first hand in San Diego and saw it on TV in the Carolina SB. Thats Belichick's favorite 2 pt play.

THANK YOU to those of you unwilling to be LAZY (like I was) in rooting out the posts that back up my point here. I'm surprised so many here didn't remember. It was appalling. Glad most people get how valuable Faulk is to this team.
Talk about cutting Faulk wasn't appalling several years ago when it took place. The talk was actually Faulk and Patrick Pass. Faulk's play was appalling several years ago. BB had faith, and Faulk has turned it around nicely.

But because Faulk is better this year doesn't mean he wasn't on the bubble when the discussion took place.

This past offseason, talk about cutting him was also valid, though for a different reason. As someone said, it wasn't about his play that people thought he would get cut. He was arrested for drugs. Players have been cut before for that reason.

As far as Faulk being indespensible to the team, he will be gone in a couple years and the Pats will roll on just fine without him. He is valulable, not indespensible. In the meantime, as long as he makes plays like he did yesterday, leaves drugs alone and doesn't revert to being Fumblina, he'll be fine.

Here's a favorite from that thread:

RIP#40...

I am not as enamored with KF as most of you. To me he is strictly a catch the ball out of the backfield back. IMO he is nothing special running the ball, he can pass block, Faulk is basically a third down back. He is in for passing situations, and either catches passes, blocks, or runs a draw if the defense leaves the middle open. How many times have you seen him lined up behind Heath in a running formation?

but according to Miguel's page he is due to make 3.5 next season. The team needs to get younger. Like Willie and TJ (I believe he knew what was coming and retired)

the Patriots don't mind getting rid of popular players if they don't think they are worth the money. You can debate whether or not Faulk is worth $4mil a year, but you can't debate the statement that the Pats will get rid of any player they don't think is worth his salary!
Your original words (in black) are a fair assessment of Kevin Faulk. If that what you meant?

Last edited:
Every offseason since I've been on this board there has been a discussion about Faulk being cut.

Talk about cutting Faulk wasn't appalling several years ago when it took place. The talk was actually Faulk and Patrick Pass. Faulk's play was appalling several years ago. BB had faith, and Faulk has turned it around nicely.

Truly absurd. Faulk's ability to hang onto the ball was, I guess, appalling at some point. As for "several years ago," the talk about cutting Faulk took place THIS PAST OFF-SEASON.

Your original words (in black) are a fair assessment of Kevin Faulk. If that what you meant?

Those weren't my words and they aren't fair. I was quoting a poster from the other thread.

Truly absurd. Faulk's ability to hang onto the ball was, I guess, appalling at some point. As for "several years ago," the talk about cutting Faulk took place THIS PAST OFF-SEASON.
Then your original post is in error. Talk this past season about Faulk getting cut was due to his getting arrested for weed.

When BB signed LaMont Jordan, another guy who catches the ball out of the backfield, it set of more speculation as whether the signing was because of Faulk's arrest and whether this was an indication that Faulk's days were numbered, but all the talk was based on Faulk and his hippy-dippy habit, not his play on the field.

Those weren't my words and they aren't fair. I was quoting a poster from the other thread.
They seemed pretty accurate to me. The original post wasn't mine, and I wouldn't have worded it exactly as the OP did, but I added my thoughts in red which basically say the same thing. To repeat, Faulk is primarily a third down back. He pass blocks and catches passes out of the backfiled, and runs draws on passing downs, but rarely lines up behind a FB in a typical 2-TE running formation. Just what is wrong with that assessment?

Listen, I am not a regular to all the games but i was at the game last night, Faulk is important to our team, in all areas he blocks, runs, special teams, esp. dangerous screens, beside Troy and Brady he is one of my favorite players. I would think he is a real leader inside that locker room.

It was great to watch him for the first time in person yesterday.

He is awesome. I can't speak for 5 years for now but short term we NEED him...

Just the idea that he can touch the ball so few times a game, but make such a huge difference in that game, is fascinating to me.

Many backs take a little time to 'get up to speed' or 'find their rhythm' in a game. Kevin is always ready to make it happen.

A great example of this was in the 3rd preseason game, when he came in for 1 play, on 3rd and 9.5, ran for 9.5 yards and then left the game.

FAULK IS CLUTCH. he'll continue to prove that all season long.

Then your original post is in error. Talk this past season about Faulk getting cut was due to his getting arrested for weed.

PLEASE JOIN US in reading the link someone provided TO that thread. It wasn't just about the weed. Please try READING next time so we don't have to explain stuff TWICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes