PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I know this may be a stretch, but what about going after Mario Williams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
7.) As I said, I don't know what the money amounts are going to be. However, getting a $6-7 million per season offer from the Patriots and an $8-9 million per season offer from someone else would certainly test most people.

That said, what are the chances that the Pats don't use the franchise tag?

I dunno.

SI or someone wrote that he'd cost $22 a year. If that's even within 20% of being right, it would not be a "Patriot" kind of thing to do. That's a whole boatload of Simoleons.

Sure would be nice to have him rushing the passer though...

Greetings,
I would love to have Mario Williams to play for the Patriots, he would without question make the defense better. The main issue is he will command top dollar as a free agent, more than other defensive ends. Personally, I think Cliff Avril would be a better signing. I just think he will provide better overall value when you compare the price it will cost for both of them. Especially when you consider the Patriots need to resign their own free agents, add other teams free agents and sign rookies as well.

Another guy I think would really be perfect is Calias Campbell, he had 8 sacks last season as a 3-4 DE. He has exacly what BB looks for in a LDE in his "4-3" defense as well. To me his a guy who is worth a very nice payday, especially since he can play in both in a 3-4 and a 4-3 at defensive end. Reminds me a lot of Richard Seymour back in the day.

Celticboy04

The guy I want is Robert Mathis and he is probably within our reach considering his age.

Honestly, I say do it. Mayo, Carter, Love, Wilfork, Ninkovich, Williams, Ras-I, Chung, McCourtey, Moore, Arrington would be solid.

He is no different from Anderson. Mathis feeds off from Freeney.

I know. I like anderson and want more speed rushers like him.

The 22 mil number is coming from the franchise tag hit/ the number Peppers signed with the bears for. Williams isn't Julius Peppers, not yet at least.

Any deal we would strike with Williams would be backloaded like you wouldn't believe. The Adalius deal actually landed him a lot of upfront money, and it saved our cap for that year. I'm not sure the NFLPA would be enamored with Williams bringing down the average by accepting a deal that we'd offer him. They've got to be tickled pink that the tag is at an astronomical 22 mil. Good thing this isn't baseball.

Last edited:
Add it all up, and it will be very difficult to keep Mario Williams. John McClain of the Houston Chronicle writes that Williams would have to take a “hometown discount” to stay in Houston.

If that’s true, Williams is very likely to leave. What top players truly take hometown discounts? Williams has a good shot at becoming he highest paid defensive player in league history as a free agent. There is a reasonable debate if Houston’s defense is even the best fit for Williams’ skill set and the Texans defense did great without him.

It may take hometown discount to keep Mario Williams | ProFootballTalk

and Reiss mentioned a while back:

5. With Texans outside linebacker/defensive end Mario Williams set to become a free agent, it reminds me of Julius Peppers two years ago. The Patriots inquired about Peppers at that time. Makes sense to think they’d at least dip their toe into the Williams waters.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

The 22 mil cap hit is confirmed. All those who said super mario had no chance of becoming a free agent can stop talking now.

adbrandt Andrew Brandt
"Williams' calculation is complicated (stay with me): 2011 salary + option bonus and buyback proration = $18.325M. 120% is $21.99M"

The 22 mil cap hit is confirmed. All those who said super mario had no chance of becoming a free agent can stop talking now.

adbrandt Andrew Brandt
"Williams' calculation is complicated (stay with me): 2011 salary + option bonus and buyback proration = $18.325M. 120% is $21.99M"

Then yeah, he's absolutely hitting the market. At $16.6M (which was what it seemed to be when only accounting for salary), they would've tagged him. Now, they basically can't.

Then yeah, he's absolutely hitting the market. At $16.6M (which was what it seemed to be when only accounting for salary), they would've tagged him. Now, they basically can't.

Correct. It would put the Texans over their cap if they were to attempt to tag him.

Can't see why the Pats wouldn't at least dip their toe in the water on this one. Seems like he fits all the categories the Pats seem to value, big, strong, versatile, tough, smart football players.

I expect the Pats to pursue this guy and have a fair shot of signing him. BB has a history of being involved when marque players at this position become available (see Colvin, Thomas, Peppers). Colvin was a good player during his time, and would have most likely been a star if not for a freak hip injury. Thomas was a good player whose Raven mentality eventually surfaced by the end. The Bears made a ridiculous offer to Peppers that the Pats would not match. BB isn't afraid to open the wallet for players that can be staples on his team (Colvin, Thomas, Wilfork, Mayo).

It's rare that a player of Williams' caliber and age hits the market. You can instantly plug him in and build a defense around his demonstrated flexibility (has played in both 3-4 and 4-3 successfully). From all accounts, he seems to be a good guy who can buy into the Pats philosophy. He's already made a ton of money as well (65mm or so over rookie contract), which means he may be willing to consider intangible factors (opportunity to be on a consistent winner) rather than just pursuing the highest dollar. Given that his team made the playoffs for the first time this year, and he wasn't able to participate (being injured), he may be attracted to the Pats' model of consistency.

Also, as we have seen with other DE/OLB players that the Pats have talked to, BB has a way of getting them excited when discussing the different ways that he plans to use them in the Pats' defense.

I expect the Pats to pursue this guy and have a fair shot of signing him. BB has a history of being involved when marque players at this position become available (see Colvin, Thomas, Peppers). Colvin was a good player during his time, and would have most likely been a star if not for a freak hip injury. Thomas was a good player whose Raven mentality eventually surfaced by the end. The Bears made a ridiculous offer to Peppers that the Pats would not match. BB isn't afraid to open the wallet for players that can be staples on his team (Colvin, Thomas, Wilfork, Mayo).

It's rare that a player of Williams' caliber and age hits the market. You can instantly plug him in and build a defense around his demonstrated flexibility (has played in both 3-4 and 4-3 successfully). From all accounts, he seems to be a good guy who can buy into the Pats philosophy. He's already made a ton of money as well (65mm or so over rookie contract), which means he may be willing to consider intangible factors (opportunity to be on a consistent winner) rather than just pursuing the highest dollar. Given that his team made the playoffs for the first time this year, and he wasn't able to participate (being injured), he may be attracted to the Pats' model of consistency.

Also, as we have seen with other DE/OLB players that the Pats have talked to, BB has a way of getting them excited when discussing the different ways that he plans to use them in the Pats' defense.

Someone help me out here. How marquee was Colvin's signing? Was he the no. 1 DE/OLB out there in 2003?

Someone help me out here. How marquee was Colvin's signing? Was he the no. 1 DE/OLB out there in 2003?
As I recall it, yes - Colvin was the top pass rusher available and one of the marquee free agents on the market. Can't remember what other names were out there, though.

Last edited:
Not sure we will get him. But, the Pats seem to be the best mix of a good team that can pay him. Not top dollar. But, maybe 90cents on the dollar. Teams like New Orleans, Philly, Jets, Giants, Steelers, Ravens and Packers can't afford him. Dallas and SF don't really need him. Some crappy teams will offer more money like; TB, Cleveland, Buffalo or Jacksonville. Would he want to go to those teams after playing for a team that never made the playoffs until this year? My guess is we don't sign him. But, as others have mentioned. Doesn't hurt to inquire.

Williams said he wasn't looking for tippy top dollar. Something like the fact that his rookie contract pretty much set him up for life. However, that was in regards to trying to work out a deal with the Texans because he prefers to stay. It's not much hope for us, but with all of the other players saying, 'show me the money' (Koppen :eek:), it shows that Williams has other motives than just money.

Because BB has a history of signing marquee players. You know like ummm those in their prime
Chad Brown, Terrell Buckley, Duane Starks, Joey Galloway, Junior Seau,

and ofcourse our own like
Ty Law, Sante Samuel, Seymour

:rolleyes:

Because BB has a history of signing marquee players. You know like ummm those in their prime
Chad Brown, Terrell Buckley, Duane Starks, Joey Galloway, Junior Seau,

and ofcourse our own like
Ty Law, Sante Samuel, Seymour

:rolleyes:

You sir are a jackoff. Stop Rooting for the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes