I-95 Exit 9 changing to Exit 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

FortressX

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Reactions: Ian
Don't know exactly when they will do this, but it is something to note.

They made a similar change (exit numbers to correspond to mile markers) where I live in Florida about twenty years ago. The biggest hassle was work crews on the road adding a second exit number to signs (the new exit number, and at the bottom of the sign the old exit number). I don't recall how long it was that signs had both exit numbers (it may have been two years, just like it will be in Mass.) but they only have the one number now.

It works out great because you can look at a mile marker and know exactly how far you have to drive until your exit. The nice bonus is that if a new exit is ever constructed, it doesn't screw up the exit numbering system.

Though it sounds as if it will be very confusing it shouldn't be, due to the two year period of time with the overlap.

So they named a highway exit after a pandemic virus thats already killed over 200,000 Americans. Brilliant.

On the plus side, when you’re driving I-95 in MA now, you’ll feel like you’re making great time! :whistle:

Told my girlfriend about this and with her thick Boston accent said, " you wanna fix somthin? Fix the potholes". Haha.

So they named a highway exit after a pandemic virus thats already killed over 200,000 Americans. Brilliant.

All exits on federal interstate highways are supposed to be numbered by the highway mile. It is a standard that several states in New England ignored. Mass and NH are a couple of the last to convert.

I wonder which exit number the GPS will tell users they need to exit at.

The ubiquity of GPS has made the change entirely unnecessary. I'm thrilled that my federal tax money can buy the people of Massachusetts some pointless new signage.

All exits on federal interstate highways are supposed to be numbered by the highway mile. It is a standard that several states in New England ignored. Mass and NH are a couple of the last to convert.
RI has been doing it too. The problem here is there are so many tightly spaced exits that there is 1A, 1B, 1C and up to F.

RI has been doing it too. The problem here is there are so many tightly spaced exits that there is 1A, 1B, 1C and up to F.

Now it'll be exits 10, 10.2, 10.3, 10.5......haha

In Maine, they can increase the number as long as there is not another exit at that mile marker. For instance, when you enter Maine on I95, there are 3 exits in the first mile after you cross the bridge. They are numbered 1, 2 & 3 even though they are all within the first mile. The next exit is up in York, Exit 7.

The ubiquity of GPS has made the change entirely unnecessary. I'm thrilled that my federal tax money can buy the people of Massachusetts some pointless new signage.

Were you around for the Right on Red change? The feds passed a law to allow drivers to take a right on red and rather than abide by that law, the pols in MA made it illegal at 99.9% of the state's intersections and put No Right on Red signs out. Some hack's relative probably made the signs.

The average amount that a state in the US spends for road maintenance per mile was 28K a few years ago. Taxachusetts spent 80K.

Were you around for the Right on Red change? The feds passed a law to allow drivers to take a right on red and rather than abide by that law, the pols in MA made it illegal at 99.9% of the state's intersections and put No Right on Red signs out. Some hack's relative probably made the signs.

The average amount that a state in the US spends for road maintenance per mile was 28K a few years ago. Taxachusetts spent 80K.

Have those changes been reversed in a lot of places? Because out in Western Massachusetts, which also exists, there are barely any "no right on red" signs at our traffic lights.

Have those changes been reversed in a lot of places? Because out in Western Massachusetts, which also exists, there are barely any "no right on red" signs at our traffic lights.

When I lived there I didn't spend much time outside of the Boston. Maybe they came to their senses.

Maybe it was just Boston. I've found Boston operates on its own little existence most of the time compared to Western Mass.

Maybe it was just Boston. I've found Boston operates on its own little existence most of the time compared to Western Mass.

I grew up in Western Mass. One time when I was on the phone with a Boston company to order something, they started taking my info and when I got to my phone number, the person said, "413 is not a Massachusetts telephone number". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes