PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How special was this last SB to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's up there but nothing will ever beat 2001. I was 22 and lost my grandmother to cancer the day before the game. Visitation was that Sunday and I didn't expect to see the game. About 20 minutes before kickoff my mom told me to head to my grandpa's house to watch it. When the kick went through, I just remember being on the ground laughing. I couldn't stop laughing. It was just that moment that let me know things were going to be ok. Seeing the smile on my grandpa's face as he walked through the door was priceless, he was so happy for me and it was amazing to see his spirits lifted.

14 was amazing just to vindicate everything. For years I would say that I'm blessed as a fan and really can't ask for anything, but just give me one more. It was a wondeful night.
Thanks for sharing that great story. When that kick went through, I remember being in shock. Having been a Pat's fan for 26 years up until that moment, I had learned to expect the worst. I was expecting to see a penalty flag or something lol. When the players ran on the field, I started screaming. My ex-wife looked at me like I was nuts. Some people don't understand how great sports is, especially when you win it all.

My heart goes out to each Pats fan that has medical issues or family members with medical issues or have family members that have died from medical issues. It's not easy.

For me, any Pats win is special. Having been a fan for 55 years a STH to the first Boston Patriots game in 1960 this 4th SB was extremely special but though out the game I didn't have confidence we would win, and when we did and the way we did told me I need more faith.

Now I want a back to back SB win to shut up all the hates.

Let's Go Pats

Simple question really. This SB has now turned into a very very special thing for me and my mother. Not to be somber but my father passed a week after the SB win and i am just SO happy he got to see them win it one more time in his life as he was die hard like myself.

How special was it to you guys compared to the others?

Firstly; incredibly sorry for your loss. I am a season ticket holder at my local soccer team in the UK, and I watch every game with my Dad. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like without him there. I'm glad he got to witness it.

This is definitely better than the first one. I was 11 years old (started following at 9) when it happened and I felt like no feeling would ever top it...I can't even imagine what it must have been like for those who endured the years of mediocrity...but this one feels ten times better.

The 'you've not won since spygate', 'how can you call yourselves a dynasty when you haven't backed it up with a ring since 2004 season' and the whole deflategate saga was making me fall out of love with football in the build-up to the Super Bowl...this was a big f*ck you to all those haters out there.

They can quote spygate and deflategate all they want. We're world champions and the dynasty has been extended.

The only thing I have to say to them is GFY!

I've found that over the years sports has become less of an obsession for me, but this last SB win overcame that trend. After all the ridiculous media hatred this one would have been sweeter than sweet. The way it ended actually made it the sweetest.

Nothing will top SB36 for me, but this one was close. It's unbelievable to me that a full decade had gone by since the last championship. Sometimes when I see a high school kid with a Brady jersey on, I think wow, they don't ever remember life before Brady, Belichick, etc. Time really does fly. He's to these kids what Larry Bird was to me growing up. I was a little too young to remember him at the top of his game and winning championships. I'm a cold-hearted, "root for the laundry" fan, who never really cared about the guys under the helmets. At 35 years old, I found myself getting weirdly emotional about a sports figure for the first time in my life this season. Moving on from #12 will be hard, and seeing the end approaching is like moving out of a house you've lived in for 15 years. It's not the floors and ceilings that you'll miss, it's that those floors and ceilings were always there when so many other things changed around them. Ya, this one was special.

Quite special. I'm a long time fan going back to 1959 when the team was being formed.
I had to wait 42 years for my first Superbowl win and 10 years for this one. At the age of 83,
it is quite likely I won't see another Superbowl win.

Each of the Patriots' Super Bowl wins will always be special to me. I'll remember where I watched each game and with whom. Last year, in mid-February, I welcomed my first son into the world. Watching the Patriots with him, especially in the Super Bowl, had been a dream of mine. In July, at the age of five months, my son was diagnosed with leukemia, so I wasn't certain we would have the opportunity to watch a Pats SB together.

January brought my son some huge mountains to climb including total-body radiation for eight days, greatly strengthened intensity of the chemotherapy, and a bone marrow transplant (with my 3-year old daughter being his donor.) Serious complications occurred at the month's end as his liver stopped functioning and his lungs and kidneys were at risk of doing the same.

On the afternoon of February 1st (Super Bowl Day), he was transferred to the PICU for a procedure to have excess fluid surrounding his liver drained. The procedure seemed to have gone well, so I went down to the cafeteria to grab a bite to eat. When I returned to my son's room on the PICU, the Super Bowl was just beginning and he was resting. I pulled a chair up next to his crib where my wife was reading a book. I kept one eye on the game and the other on my son.

Fifteen minutes after the Super Bowl started, the alarms on my son's monitor let out an emergency alert sound. My wife and I sprang to our feet and found that our son's oxygen level was diving to zero. He had stopped breathing!

His nurse ran from the desk across our room to help our son. I yelled across our unit that my son had stopped breathing to alert more of the medical staff to help. Each of the staff available staff members on the unit rushed to the room while my wife and I waited outside the door with a nurse who provided us with updates. She told us that the staff was "air bagging" our son and, after about 45 seconds to a minute, he was able to breathe again on his own.

My wife and I went back into our room to comfort our son again and talk to the staff. The first half of the game was just about finished by the time we ended up turning the game back on. Don't get me wrong, I love the Patriots, but my son's life had to take priority.

By the end of the game, my son was sitting up in his crib, interacting with us and reacting to my reactions to the game! That meant so much to me. He seemed thrilled about the end of the game too.

So, as scary as my son's health issues were during the game, being able to be with him during it meant so much to me. This gave this Super Bowl game very special meaning to me. You never really know how much time you'll get to spend with those you love, so you just have to make the most of the moments you do have.

(By the way, after getting worse on the following day, my son was doing quite a bit better by the end of that week. His liver has recovered. Also, yesterday we received news that his bone marrow and spinal fluid are both free of leukemic and cancerous cells and that his bone marrow is 100% matching that of his donor's. He keeps improving and may be able to return home in a week or so. I hope to be able to watch many more Super Bowls with my son and the rest of my family.)

Like nothing else. I watched the Pats win SB39, but I was all of 9 years old, so I didn't quite have the capacity to take it all in. I've been following the team intensely since the 2007 season, so I've endured the endings of seasons such as 07, 10, 11, and it just feels so satisfying to have a happy ending.

Was that you in the YouTube video ? I saw a video of a guy running around then jumping in a snow pile.

I still get goosebumps hearing Madden say, "What Tom Brady is doing right now, gives me goosebumps". And hearing, the Patriots win, the Patriots win on the 2001 DVD. But man, this recent one is damned close, cements Belichick's and Brady's legacy.

No, that wasn't me. No one was filming me (thankfully) since I was hot mess.........shouting, laughing, crying, all over the place

You bring up a good point about some commentary from the game just sticks with you, the part that I hear over and over in my head is ...........as they are showing replays of the Kearse catch rightfully so the announcers are giddy over the improbable catch but then one of them says "BUT THEY ARE NOT IN YET". I get chills when I hear that because obviously we know they don't get it.

I'd put it even with the first one for all the reasons others have mentioned about the near misses since 2004.

The 2003 and 2004 wins were incredible too but I think I'd have been stunned if either of those teams had lost. After the 2-2 start in 2003 those teams went 32-2 and 1 of those losses was as fluky a game as I can ever remember.

No, that wasn't me. No one was filming me (thankfully) since I was hot mess.........shouting, laughing, crying, all over the place

You bring up a good point about some commentary from the game just sticks with you, the part that I hear over and over in my head is ...........as they are showing replays of the Kearse catch rightfully so the announcers are giddy over the improbable catch but then one of them says "BUT THEY ARE NOT IN YET". I get chills when I hear that because obviously we know they don't get it.
That was Collinsworth, and that call probably haunts him, because it was so obvious he wanted Seattle to win. I think Michaels wanted them to win too, he sounded so giddy on the first and goal play, saying "And it's BEAST MODE". I really thought he expected him to score. They both sounded so disgusted when Butler made the int.

Simple question really. This SB has now turned into a very very special thing for me and my mother. Not to be somber but my father passed a week after the SB win and i am just SO happy he got to see them win it one more time in his life as he was die hard like myself.

How special was it to you guys compared to the others?
Very sorry for you loss, but I glad he got to enjoy another SB Championship. This was my favorite of the 4, and not because it was the most recent. It was because of all the hate, and how hard so many tried to sabotage this latest experience, and chance of winning, w/ Deflate Gate. All the losers that say "the Patriots haven't won since Spy Gate", can all suck it.

Special...
Erased the demons of '07 & '11 as much as possible
Ended the long drought since '04 "No SB wince since Spygate"
In your face to the media after their air pressure ignorant, deliberate non-stop onslaught
Ended the last dying vestiges of Brady vs P6 Manning debate in a rout
Shut up the LUCK GOAT talk for at least one month :)

Best
'01
'14
'03
'04

I agree 100%. I've been a fan since 1975 and this makes 40 years of watching the Patriots. That 2001 SB win was really really special to me. I knew if the Pats won the AFC championship this year, all hell would break loose and I was right. The wrath of Pats haters ignited nation wide. This SB win did all the things you listed and victory never tasted so sweet. This was a legacy win. Patriots, Brady and Belichick will always be in the discussion of the greatest in the NFL.

(By the way, after getting worse on the following day, my son was doing quite a bit better by the end of that week. His liver has recovered. Also, yesterday we received news that his bone marrow and spinal fluid are both free of leukemic and cancerous cells and that his bone marrow is 100% matching that of his donor's. He keeps improving and may be able to return home in a week or so. I hope to be able to watch many more Super Bowls with my son and the rest of my family.)
Prayers for your son that he continues to recover. What a lot to go through for a young family...

Quite special. I'm a long time fan going back to 1959 when the team was being formed.
I had to wait 42 years for my first Superbowl win and 10 years for this one. At the age of 83,
Hopefully you'll get to see another one this year :)

Yes, you will my man. Yes, you will! :)

And what a hardcore fan you are
emot-salute.gif

The first 3 Super Bowls, it just felt like we would win. Brady was perfect in the playoffs, after all. This time, it felt like we *deserved* to win.

Why? For every regular and playoff win during 4 Super Bowl Victories in 6 visits over a 14 year period, Brady was a starter. Not a backup. That's a 43% chance of going to the Super Bowl.

Year after year, Brady did his job and then watched from the sidelines. We lost twice to crazy comebacks, and then a football landed in the hands of a receiver, lying on his back, while a defender was jumping over him. This time, our luck reversed, and we stopped a string of three plays from the 1 yard line right away, with the first interception of the 2014 NFL season.

Why else did we deserve to win? Because the Seahawks were arrogant pricks and the media were more so. And because we finally had a healthy team. And because the Seahawks were not the right team to take the two-rings-in-a-row from the Patriots. It just felt *right* the Patriots won, separate from being a fan.

Anyone else started to feel withdrawal this week from the high?

The night of the Super Bowl was like crack, sex, and the birth of a child all rolled into one.

For two weeks I was walking on cloud nine.

Now I'm starting to feel normal again, not as easy to recreate that burst of joy when I see the Butler interception. I am still pumped by it, but that initial high is diminishing a bit.

Fellow patsfans, where can I get me some more crack? What do you do in the offseason? In 2001, 2003/2004 I was pumped, but this one is different for me, after all the bullspit the team, especially BB and Brady, have gone through.

Perhaps quit my job, hitchhike to Foxboro, and become a groupie?

Anyone else started to feel withdrawal this week from the high?

The night of the Super Bowl was like crack, sex, and the birth of a child all rolled into one.

For two weeks I was walking on cloud nine.

Now I'm starting to feel normal again, not as easy to recreate that burst of joy when I see the Butler interception. I am still pumped by it, but that initial high is diminishing a bit.

Fellow patsfans, where can I get me some more crack? What do you do in the offseason? In 2001, 2003/2004 I was pumped, but this one is different for me, after all the bullspit the team, especially BB and Brady, have gone through.

Perhaps quit my job, hitchhike to Foxboro, and become a groupie?

Here's what I do (in no particular order):

- call up fellow fans on a whim, discuss/gloat about the season and SB win ad-nauseum while maintaining a poop-eating grin

- watch all the 'reaction to butler's interception' videos I can find (from both teams' fans)

- watch all the fan tribute videos I can find

- browse the hawks, ravens, colts, jets, steelers, and packers forums (this one is particularly entertaining!)

- surf online to find the best deals on SB 49 gear

- plan minute details of my next trip to Gillette and the hall

- dim the lights, wrap myself in a microfiber blanket, hit a sweet buzz on high gravity beer, and rewatch the 4th quarter and the Sound FX/Inside the NFL videos in HD

- remind myself Brady owns every postseason record that matters, has now surpassed Montana, actually HAS that 4th ring, did all that while picking apart the greatest D since the '85 bears in front of 120 million people, and that I'm not dreaming

- remind myself that THE interception resulted in the entire country's collective jaw hitting the turf so hard, they're still in massive shock (haven't heard a single notable peep pertaining to airgate or cameragate since then)

- repeat from the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye