How Important is Rob Gronkowski? Third Down Numbers Don't Lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
How Important is Rob Gronkowski? Third Down Numbers Don't Lie

Ian Logue

Rob Gronkowski's groin injury will likely be one of the biggest topics of discussion for this week, but if he's not on the field this Sunday against the Texans, Tom Brady and the offense may find themselves back in the situation they were in back in week

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Cooks: 0 for 3

Cooks: 0 for 3
On one of those passes Cooks had done his job and was open for what should have been a touchdown. Unfortunately the pass protection broke down, resulting in the pass being under thrown.

I would have to go back and look at the other two passes, but if I recall correctly Brady was facing significant pressure on both of those plays as well, which could have disrupted the timing.

Cooks is running deeper routes, so a lower completion percentage should be expected.

I am waiting for a Breakout 200yds Game from Brandin Cooks that will set the tone for the rest of the season. I think Cooks is a guy we can build the Offense around going forward.

I am waiting for a Breakout 200yds Game from Brandin Cooks that will set the tone for the rest of the season. I think Cooks is a guy we can build the Offense around going forward.

Think his first big game will came against the Panthers. Had 7 receptions for 175 yards 1 TD in a game against them last year. 2016 he had a 6 rec for 105 yard 1 TD game against them

I think most people are expecting him to develop into Brady's number one option but at this point, he's playing like Brady's 4th or 5th option. It is what it is until he proves otherwise.

At some point Gronk needs to accept that fighting for that extra yard is not beneficial in the long run.

What good is an extra yard here and there and then lose out on a few hundred yards by missing games.

Catch the ball ... make your run and try to go down gracefully. Not his nature but if he wants to stay healthy.

Randy Moss had a tremendous career doing it.

At some point Gronk needs to accept that fighting for that extra yard is not beneficial in the long run.

What good is an extra yard here and there and then lose out on a few hundred yards by missing games.

Catch the ball ... make your run and try to go down gracefully. Not his nature but if he wants to stay healthy.

I don't think the answer is that simple for Gronk. Quite often the "fight for an extra yard", as you put it, turns into a touchdown. It's what makes him so great. If he were to just run, catch and go down on first contract he'd be merely good.

Amazing thing about Gronk is, despite all the surgeries, he's still fast (despite some in the press saying he's not explosive anymore). The linebacker he beat on the TD is 23 years old and ran a 4.63 at the combine in February. Burkhead beat that guy too on his TD catch.

I don't think the answer is that simple for Gronk. Quite often the "fight for an extra yard", as you put it, turns into a touchdown. It's what makes him so great. If he were to just run, catch and go down on first contract he'd be merely good.
I'd rather have him a notch less than great and available for more snaps which will = more production.

I said he would have his breakout game against the Texans. Talking about cooks. We need gronk to be healthy. He opens it up for everybody.

Yea he definitely needs to pick his spots with that stuff, just like Edelman.. he should watch a bunch of tape on Jason Witten, Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates and even Greg Olsen despite his recent season ending injury...

What makes him Gronk is also what puts him in harms way a lot, so it might just be you have to accept that as part of the whole package.. but if he could find ways to identify when he already got the 1st down, maybe just go for the sideline instead of lumbering into a defender, dragging his 250+ lb body while fighting for another 5 yards.. then he might be able to lower his risk for injury

Gronk is gonna Gronk tho, I'm just grateful every time he's on the field... and i REALLY hope we have him for the playoff run this year

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back