PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Far This Franchise Has Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
i hope the Patriots will make soon a DVD with the full history of the Boston Patriots-NE Patriots since day 1 and i hope this will happen soon as i would love it

thks for sharing yr beautiful stories-awesome thread

I can't wait for that, I know the Jets(?) and Chiefs (?) have new double DVD history retrospectives by NFL films.

I can't wait for that, I know the Jets(?) and Chiefs (?) have new double DVD history retrospectives by NFL films.

let's see if they will do something special for the 50th year franchise birthday...

Thanks. Brings back memories. One of my geezer neighbors was just on a cruise with Paaahty Animal Larry Eisenhauer. He hasn't changed a bit.

Here ya go.:D

It involved the rookie six-foot five-inch, 255-pound defensive end Eisenhauer and a middle-aged, five-foot three-inch, 110-pound clown named Pablo. What makes matters worse is that Eisenhauer’s bruising tackle was captured on film and shown on a popular Boston kiddie show called Boom Town. The show starred Rex Trailer and his comic sidekick, Pablo...

The Boom Town producers thought it would be funny if skinny Pablo tried out for the Patriots. The Boston players agreed to go along with the gag. Pablo joined the Patriots on the practice field wearing an old-fashioned football uniform....

The script was good, but the TV people had overlooked one important factor — Eisenhauer. He hadn’t gotten his nickname for nothing. As I said before, Eisenhauer would get so psyched up before a game that he would punch anything, walls, doors, lockers — even his teammates weren’t safe. He once put his helmeted head through a locker room wall in War Memorial Stadium. Unfortunately, the director of the show didn’t know about Wild Man or about his fierce dedication to football.
As the cameras rolled, Pablo began snaking his way through the Patriot defense. Everythig was going smoothly until Pablo scooted down to the 20-yard line past the last defender. It just happened to be Wild Man.
Suddenly, Eisenhauer was overcome by his killer instinct. All he saw was an enemy player running for a touchdown. And he had to stop the enemy. Eisenhauer let out a terrifying roar and charged after the clown.
Poor Pablo. With his eyes as big as footballs, Pablo ran for his life but it was no contest. At about the five-yard line, Eisenhauer jumped on his back and squashed him. Boomed Eisenhauer, “Nobody gets across our goal line. Not even a clown!”
Pablo was buried in the turf, gasping for breath. The TV crew rushed to his aid. Then they turned and chastised Eisenhauer.
“I’m kind of ashamed of it now,” he [admitted]. “But I just couldn’t stand to see anybody score on us if there was a chance I could stop him. He was slow, so it wasn’t any trick catching him. I didn’t really hurt him. I just sort of jumped on his back. Why give the guy a free touchdown?"

http://hometown.aol.com/bkbubco/stories.html

...and now for the first time ever 7-0...and let's hope it will go on and on...

Last edited:
The late Will McDonough of the Globe wrote a great article some years ago on this subject. I've always wanted to see it again. Maybe somebody could dig it up. Some infamous moments new folks might be somewhat vague on
that I can't describe properly are the Lisa Olsen and multiple Clive Rush incidents, Denver stealing the Pats' gameplan for initial franchise game, Fairbanks & Parcells working for two teams at once, and just about anything involving Chuck Sullivan.

Oh by the way, Italian Pat the P., where in Italy are you? I spent several years in Lazio & Abruzzo as my bride is from there.

i live in Como area but i born in Milan

I was at Green Airport too. My Dad and I drove the half-hour down from E. Providence. What a night that was, cheering the players as they got off the plane. We knew we had a special team, and putting down the Dolphins to get to the big game was a huge accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing your memory of the event.
I was at that too, I swear when the crowd surged past the wood barriers I was the only one the cops grabbed and told to back up, I did for a second and then joined the crowd as the cops just gave up. I can still picture the lights on the plane as the players stood at the open doors and waved.

On the funny/negative side I remember going to an Indy game in the late 80's early 90's (lost those brain cells to remember) and having a whole 10yard line 100 section to about 5 of us. Middle of the game and we were just running up and down the benches to go higher when they were down the other end of the field, then back down when they drove toward the closer endzone.

I was the little kid in 1973 who left the Needham IHOP each time disappointed. Disappointed because, even in Massachusetts, they didn't have Patriots helmets.

Some of you remember. IHOP in the 1970's for a few years, had a campaign of giving kids little plastic NFL helmets - - you could hold them in the palm of your hand. If you ordered one of their special breakfasts, they'd give it to you. A big deal for an 8 year old back then.

Well, you know where I'm going with this. The "real" NFL teams, from "real" NFL cities dominated my pile of IHOP helmets. The St Louis Cards, Oakland Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, etc. I eventually had 40-50 of these helmets (from about 20 teams) that I collected from eating alot of starch (and from friends/relatives).

Not one Patriots helmet. Not one.

This morning, I see this column from a nationally known columnist writing in a newspaper for the locals in a "real" foootball city.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/17/AR2007101702358.html

Sometimes, it all doesn't seem real.

Great post, shmessy. I missed it thanks to travelling for business last week and was thinking of posting a similar thread.

While my history is similar to yours (although I didn't become a fan until '78 at the age of 8) I was thinking even more recently. The Pats were my team. I mean, I was from New England and always disliked NY teams for the usual reasons. It didn't matter if they sucked or were fairly decent or how much crap I took from my friends who were NYG, Raiders, Cowboys or Dolphins fans. They were my team.

When we got our ST for the 92'-'93 season, it was more or less on a lark. We were just out of college, started making some real money and loved the Pats for all of their warts and bruises. In a strange way that is kind of what endeared them to us. Sitting on the aluminum benches, with open seats, just relishing the fact that we were actually sitting in the stadium and taking in the atmosphere of live, NFL football. We had no idea the levels we would see, coming out of obscurity and laughing-stock status thanks to Drew and (begrudingly) Fat Tuna. We were just looking to have some fun, drink some beers while tailgating, enjoy ourselves and bring our Sunday ritual from in front of the tv to the stadium.

As the years passed and things improved even more and we moved into the Brady/BB years (obviously more than that but in the interest of brevity I'll go with that), we were living large. Playoff games became a regularity and SB's. Whouda thunk it? And to think it could reach the level it has. Sold out games and a nearly decade long waiting list. National recognition as a model franchise. Jealousy, scourn from many opposing fans and admiration and respect from others. Granted, there's no Lombardi trophy yet. But for regular season accolades and production, it's kind of hard to fathom sometimes. I really is amazing the heights to which it has grown. I could go on and on, but that about sums it up. It's been a wild and crazy ride that I must admit, I never thought of it happening here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST