PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Bad Are Our Running Backs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I think thats where the philosophical difference lies. Personally i'd like to see a player back there that can take some of the playmaking heat off of TB12 a little in the hope he takes a few less hits and extends his career by a year or two.

A healthy line is great but in the 15 years under BB, they have never been a great run-blocking OL to the point where you can stick any RB back there vs a 7 man front and count on 4 yards a carry.
Blount has never averaged less than 4.3 ypc for the Pats with a high of 5.0. And most of the time the D has known exactly what was coming. I think people around here have severely underrated him in general.

Blount has never averaged less than 4.3 ypc for the Pats with a high of 5.0. And most of the time the D has known exactly what was coming. I think people around here have severely underrated him in general.
I never said Blount sucks. Hes fine. I have no issue with him on the 2016 team.

With that said vs teams with good run defenses he is very average.

He is also here on a 1 yr deal, near the end of his career and they need more talent at the position as their scheme run-blocking is more based on zones and leverage and not blowing people off the ball.

I like Blount and Lewis as a combo but it is concerning to be largely counting on two guys who couldn't finish last season. OLine problems or not, those two being MIA at the end was a big deal too. Brown/Gaffney/White may or may not be nice players but it'd be nice to have a rookie come in and make them irrelevant.

I think they should and will draft one of the back still available, but I don't have a great sense of one being an objectively better fit than another. Hell even take two of them, maybe can hit on them like Ridley/Vereen.

I never said Blount sucks. Hes fine. I have no issue with him on the 2016 team.

With that said vs teams with good run defenses he is very average.

He is also here on a 1 yr deal, near the end of his career and they need more talent at the position as their scheme run-blocking is more based on zones and leverage and not blowing people off the ball.
I know you didn't. And I guess you can't really "count on 4 yards a carry" like you said because admittedly he can be boom or bust. I just think he gets too much grief around here.

What is this 1972?

Not sure what point you're trying to make...do you agree with captain stone that we should attempt to convert our new 6'4 QB to running back?

I know you didn't. And I guess you can't really "count on 4 yards a carry" like you said because admittedly he can be boom or bust. I just think he gets too much grief around here.

He does. He serviceable. They need a veteran runner like Blount to help groom whomever it is that they draft. I still think they can upgrade over him but I don't think this is the year they can do it.

We all want the next C-Mart, Antowain Smith, Dillon or even 2012 Ridley but that is unrealistic. What is realistic is getting a player in the 4th round that can give you 150 carries and 4-4.5ypc in this offense with a little bit of playmaking ability to catch balls out of the backfield and maybe get some yards on his own running the ball.

Not sure what point you're trying to make...do you agree with captain stone that we should attempt to convert our new 6'4 QB to running back?

The thought never crossed my mind. Thats why I'm confused. He could be purple, pink or orange. What bearing does his skin color have on what position he can switch to? The question is does he have experience at RB or WR? The answer is no, he doesn't.

He is a QB. Period.

How many people are gonna suggest changing Brissett, a pocket passer, to RB? Is it solely because he's black?

That made no sense. Where did that come from? Sounds like insecurity to me.

The thought never crossed my mind. Thats why I'm confused. He could be purple, pink or orange. What bearing does his skin color have on what position he can switch to? The question is does he have experience at RB or WR? The answer is no, he doesn't.

He is a QB. Period.

That made no sense. Where did that come from? Sounds like insecurity to me.

Why are we ignoring the fact that people have actually suggested that? I'm not making anything up.

Why are we ignoring the fact that people have actually suggested that? I'm not making anything up.

I have not gone back and read the posts. I believe you. I'm just struggling with the logic in how people are rooting their suggestion based on the color of his skin.....in 2016.

I have not gone back and read the posts. I believe you. I'm just struggling with the logic in how people are rooting their suggestion based on the color of his skin.....in 2016.

It's more that I can't come up with any other reason why someone would just say "let's move this QB to RB", especially when the QB is a pocket passer with comparisons to Jameis Winston and Ben Roethlisberger. Your guess is as good as mine.

They must be in love with Gaffney and he could be dirt cheap as a spot player because they just passed on Devontae Booker, who I cannot believe is still on the board.

Terrible thread title. RB is not a big need. The Patriots don't have that type of offense, and when there's a weakness that can be exploited, the Patriots have a group that brings a bit of everything.

Blount, Lewis, White, Deevelin, Brown is a solid, experienced group. We'll probably see a 6th rounder in the mix as well.

The O-Line is the big need. The running game is as dependent on the offensive live as is the passing game. Put the right line in there and this offense is loaded.

adrian peterson wouldnt of been able to run with our crappy ass line.

Our line is very good. They were 10-0 to start the year. When you go one dimensional while battling tons of injuries, it's not really a good thing.

Biggest myth I've heard in years is that our impresssive rookies on the interior last year and our very good Tackles, somehow got bad overnight.

Nope, not buying it. Mason looked particularly good last year. Very athletic for someone so big and beastly.

Fix the god awful playcalling and stop subbing the running backs on and off all time. THAT is the problem, not the talent on the O Line.

Terrible thread title. RB is not a big need. The Patriots don't have that type of offense, and when there's a weakness that can be exploited, the Patriots have a group that brings a bit of everything.

Blount, Lewis, White, Deevelin, Brown is a solid, experienced group. We'll probably see a 6th rounder in the mix as well.

The O-Line is the big need. The running game is as dependent on the offensive live as is the passing game. Put the right line in there and this offense is loaded.

Bottom line is, BB should have sweeteed the pot a tad for Forte. The offense would have been unstoppable with him as the feature back, especially on 1st and 2nd downs.

It's more that I can't come up with any other reason why someone would just say "let's move this QB to RB", especially when the QB is a pocket passer with comparisons to Jameis Winston and Ben Roethlisberger. Your guess is as good as mine.
He is far more likely to be TB's successor than Jimmy G. I'd be thrilled to have a big Ben clone as our next qb( ON the field only of course). We know he can take hard coaching and he'll have 3 yes to develop. Btw- captain stone is a troll.

Bottom line is, BB should have sweeteed the pot a tad for Forte. The offense would have been unstoppable with him as the feature back, especially on 1st and 2nd downs.

I couldn't disagree more.

No team should commit any real money to a 30-year-old running back with over 2,000 carries on his resume. Forte is already 4 years past the average for a pro running back and his production declined for three consecutive years. All of his numbers are down from his peak.

Matt Forte NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

It won't surprise me if by then Booker and Jonathan Williams are both already gone (by 112).
So much for that prediction.

I still would've used that pick on one of those RBs instead of on Mitchell, who would've or should've been
available later, perhaps as late as one of the 6th-rounders. And if not him, then there will be other WRs in the same category who will be available during the 6th/7th rounds.

Wow...the Patriots traded away their late-round pick just when solid RBs are coming off the board. They must be MASSIVELY confident in their current lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back