PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hightower Leaves Pittsburg, Steelers Pull Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, but what good does that do him? it is not like he can say "get within 10% or I'll take it."
It is no longer a valid offer. Now I am sure it is worth it to woody to pay him more than the pats. Then it is up to Hightower whether he wants money more than wins.

I said in a previous post, that I would take the money. He got 4 rings already.
Maybe that's one reason he's taking so long to decide. He damn sure won't be winning much if he signs with NYJ, so the money better be much much more than the NE offer for it to make any sense whatsoever.

In life, there are tradeoffs and Hightower is more than welcome to take the money however, being someone who has experienced both sides of the ledger (obviously not the same level of remuneration), job satisfaction and overall life happiness trumps the extra income.
Agreed. There wouldn't be so many stressed and unhappy people in our society if more people understood this... though I also understand chasing the dollar if one has mouths to feed.

What the NFL has masterfully done here is to extend a 20 game season into a year round reality show.. the NFL show never ends, and even though I wish the draft was earlier than it is I understand their timing..

NFL Season.. Tournament... aftermath/fallout of Tournament.. Combine.. beginning of League year... speculation about the draft... draft... paring the roster in June.. opening of TC in July; rinse, repeat..

IMO Hightower is used to winning.. In High School he was division 3A Mr. Football Lineman of the Year and The Tennesseans Defensive Most Valuable Player in 2007. In college he was part of a team that won the BCS title twice(36 & 5 W-L record) with the Pats he has two rings. Not sure he would sacrifice his status here to join a dumpster fire in NY...

10 million, 14 win seasons, and perennial contention or 12 million and 4 win seasons, I'm taking option A, every time.

OTOH, playing for the Jets probably extends your career, not having all the wear and tear of those extra post-season games. ;)

(I think I'm kidding. But honestly, there's an underappreciated stat about Brady's longevity. He's played 34 playoff games, basically adding two whole seasons of super-intense playoff football to his body.)

The cupcakes from NJ are too desperate to pull their offer. They probably baked a few more batches. If he goes their its basically an early retirement where he plays out his career taking it easy and being average.

What the NFL has masterfully done here is to extend a 20 game season into a year round reality show.. the NFL show never ends, and even though I wish the draft was earlier than it is I understand their timing..

NFL Season.. Tournament... aftermath/fallout of Tournament.. Combine.. beginning of League year... speculation about the draft... draft... paring the roster in June.. opening of TC in July; rinse, repeat..

IMO Hightower is used to winning.. In High School he was division 3A Mr. Football Lineman of the Year and The Tennesseans Defensive Most Valuable Player in 2007. In college he was part of a team that won the BCS title twice(36 & 5 W-L record) with the Pats he has two rings. Not sure he would sacrifice his status here to join a dumpster fire in NY...
I sure hope you're right about High, DS.

I've got no problem with the Steelers doing this. If they think that there is a chance that HT is just collecting offers to strengthen his negotiating position with the Pats, and intends to sign with the Pats regardless, why would they be a willing participant in a game where they never have a chance to sign the player? The only way to test that is to put something on the table with a very short expiration. If I'm them, I'd do the same.

Nor do I have a problem with what HT is doing, very carefully measuring the market at his own pace.

Nor do I have a problem with what the Pats are doing, which is (hopefully) letting a favorite son work through a process that will allow him to sign without regret or uncertainty about whether he got his best possible deal.

Carry on!

More than simply winning more in NE, I'd have to imagine he'd make more in endorsements here than in NYC, where he could disappear into the amorphous blob of losing that is the Jest.

I hate when they do that on Shark Tank.

Anyway, the guess now is he's coming back. Honestly, I think he just wanted to be courted a little, going by the "love & respect" thing. So he had a couple of teams woo him, and now he can go back to where he belongs.

As much of a dumpster fire as the Jets are, I give them some credit for preying on the idea that "we value you as a person much more than they do," and going through the motions to try and prove it.

If you couple that with the (reported) extra money from their offer, he just may fall for it.

ya but then you look at their offense and realize the defense is going to be on the field 40 minutes a game.......160 minutes = more than 5 extra games played ...... suddenly you understand that playing for the jets commands 30% more just to even the table

So would I, but not everyone is so willing to leave millions of dollars on the table.
Well after the agent Cut and taxes he probably only gets about 900K, still that can buy things. How many of us would be willing to take a 14% pay cut to do the same job for a better employer (and he does have 2 rings which is more than most will ever have).

I find it hard to believe they pull the offer just cause he doesn't sign on the spot.
Not hard at all to believe. They probably thought they could bully him into signing and don't want to be used as a counteroffer when he goes back to the Patriots. They think they are screwing him ( "he can't use our offer when he goes back to Belichick because we pulled it") when in fact they screwed themselves as in "he's not signing there".....(Pitt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes