PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Heard that Asante WILL be franchised....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see if a team like Washington or Minnesota would throw cash at Asante and throw us a first rounder. We know how much Washington disregards firsts so maaaaaaybe they throw us one?

Washington is picking #6 overall in this draft. If the Pats get that pick we could be looking at Leon Hall!! Ummm.... If BB could fleece Snyder for the Redskins 1st round pick that would be something! I'd even be willing to throw in our 2nd rounder to make it happen. :singing: Yeah I know, I'm dreaming right? But Snyder has done worse trades. Hehe.

You are entitled to your opinion. However, I think you don't have clue as to what you are talking about. Did you watch any game OTHER than the one's Patriots played in?

Too many people on this board SERIOUSLY over-rate Samuel. What is amazing is that prior to the start of the season 75% of this board felt that Samuel was a solid #2 but nothing more. And, honestly, he did NOT show me that he improved enough in his coverage abilities or his tackling to merit being considered ELITE or even in the top 10.

OH, BTW, if Ty Law wasn't better than Samuel, why were the Pats trying to bring Law back as the #1 CB for this team? Think about that.

Yes..We are entitled to our opinions and I would have to venture that mine is more accurate and probably more widely adopted. Ty Law is about 2 cheeseburgers from playing Linebacker and is also at the end of his corner days. I watched every Pats game this year and I think fans who say that Asante didn't prove he was a top corner this year are the ones who are missing something.

You are entitled to your opinion. However, I think you don't have clue as to what you are talking about. Did you watch any game OTHER than the one's Patriots played in?

Too many people on this board SERIOUSLY over-rate Samuel. What is amazing is that prior to the start of the season 75% of this board felt that Samuel was a solid #2 but nothing more. And, honestly, he did NOT show me that he improved enough in his coverage abilities or his tackling to merit being considered ELITE or even in the top 10.

Then you're in the minority. One thing I thought was interesting is that Samuel allowed the 2nd fewest yards per completion out of any DBs in the league.

OH, BTW, if Ty Law wasn't better than Samuel, why were the Pats trying to bring Law back as the #1 CB for this team? Think about that.

Probably because they didn't expect Samuel to have as good a year as he did? That's plenty plausible.

Nate Clements, Fred Smoot, Champ Bailey, Ty Law, Charles Woodson, Dunta Robinson, Chris McCallister, Lito Shepard, Samari Rolle, D'Angelo Hall, Antoine Winfield. Cases could be made for Asamougha from the Raiders and Pacman Jones from the Titans as well, though they are probably even or a step behind Samuel.

Asante is NOT a strong tackler. Its hit or miss as to whether he wraps up. He relies on his hitting ability to knock players off their feet. I feel he's not great in press coverage and its one reason why the Pats play a ZONE coverage. Asante doesn't go up and out-muscle WRs very often. He times things so that he gets the interception clean, but if he misses, the WR is gone.

Teams are NOT afraid of Samuel. Its why they go after him so often.

Also, Samuel has benefitted, majorly, from the pressure that the Pats Pass Rush puts on. At least 5 of the Ints that Asante made were on "DUCKS" (floaters because of the pass rush) to his side of the field.

I think the quote that is attributed to me should be changed. I didn't say this!

At least 5 of the Ints that Asante made were on "DUCKS" (floaters because of the pass rush) to his side of the field.
Isn't every pass from Chad "noodle arm" Pennington considered a "floater"?

We agree on a lot of things (i.e. Caldwell earlier this year), but I think you are WAY off-base here. This would be my ranking:

Better than Samuel:

Bailey
McAlister

Comparable to Samuel:

Mathis
Asomugha
Harris (GB)

Just behind or on the decline:

Winfield
Law

Clements rebounded well from his dismal 2005 campaign, but didn't make as many big plays as Samuel. Smoot just isn't very good. Woodson is pretty good, but not on the same level (IMO). Robinson, as far as what I can tell and what I have read, has not reached the next level as expected. Rolle? Are you serious? (I hope not). Ditto Hall. Pacman Jones is someone I would list as "up and coming" if he can manage to keep his head screwed on tight enough.

At worse, you can say Samuel is the #6 CB in the league. Personally, I would put him at #3/#4 (and he'll probably only get better, as, IIRC, he's only 26).

What?

I agree with pretty much everything he said. Did you really think Smoot is better than Samuel? There is a reason the Vikings pass D was the worst in the league. Hall? Hall sucks. I saw probably 5-6 Falcons games this year and about the same the year before, and have absolutely no idea how he gets the credit he does. He is fast, that's it. Robinson? Man, I don't even like Hobbs, but Robinson would be a #3 on the 2006 Pats.

As he said, Bailey and McCallister are the only corners that are clearly better than Samuel, Asomugha and Mathis are comparable, and that's it. Id say the Chicago corners are decent, but the corners in the league overall are pretty weak right now. Yea, he gives up the big pass play every once in while, but Champ did the same thing a few years ago. Keep in mind he is young, and while he might not get 10 interceptions again, has probably not reached his prime.

If we can get a #1 for him I'd be ecstatic. Hell, if we could franchise him and trade him for a franchised Briggs or Thomas (which I realize, wouldn't make a lot of sense as neither team needs a corner) I'd be ecstatic. This is a deep draft, and something like a #2 and a #3 or 4 would be good. I'd like to see the Pats do something like this, then franchise him for a year and let him walk.

He's overrated, in the fact that he isn't an elite corner, but he is without a doubt one of the better ones in the league, and other teams, especially ones with bad pass defense, would be willing to give up something for a proven veteran on the rise.

It seems to me that the loss of continuity caused by the constant churn of players becomes destructive at some point. It has to be a big strain on the coaching staff to constantly have to indoctrinate new players into the system. Just look at what Brady had to go through this year dealing with a new receiver corps.

I wouldn't mind paying a slight premium for Samuel. He is clearly improving and entering the prime of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore