PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Having seen the playoff's what do we need to win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeShmoe

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
The way I see it is this

- With the schedule we have next year we should easily make the playoff's even without adding new players and getting key ones back off IR

- The 3 main contenders again next year will likely be the same, the Jets, the Ravens and the Steelers. I suspect the Colts will be better again too

Aside from the Colts those three are big defense teams, I dont see them being high powered offenses, so to beat them what do we need?

Better execution from what we have already, better playcalling/game-planning, a smashmouth running game with a big FB and some road graders to replace Koppen/Connoly, a deep threat vertical WR?

People are talking a lot about DE's and OLB's etc but will they really help us beat these teams next Jan? Im not so sure

A defense that will not allow the opposing quarterback to get comfortable.

Its pretty much the same story here, the patriots still need help setting the edge and getting pressure, their secondary has improved by leaps and bounds from 2009 and a pash rush would make them an elite secondary i believe.

As for the Offense, the only thing i can ask for is more balance. this can some in the form of a offense more dedicated to the running game or another Elite WR coming in here and spreading the defense out.

This more than anything else is what killed the patriots against the jets,

Checklists.

1. DL
2. OLB
3. OL
4. WR.
5. RB.(lesser degree)

if the patriots can satisfy these positions and find improvement in each of them they will be 16-0 once again.

People are talking a lot about DE's and OLB's etc but will they really help us beat these teams next Jan? Im not so sure

Does anybody on these boards watch the games?

We showed against the Steelers and the second game against the Jets that our O can put up big points on elite defenses. The flip side is games like the Ravens and the playoff loss to the Jets where the offense isn't firing and so we need to improve our defense to be able to keep those games close

This is slightly off-topic and in response to the OP, but I see the Colts replacing the Jets as a contender. They had an off year, but they'll be back. The Jets are F*CKED with their free agents.

Defense wins championships!!!! Remember when we used to laugh at the colts for having an offensive team? I'd take a team with the old brady (game manager) with a great defense, instead of having brady be great with a bad defense. Look at the Packer game yesterday. They are good on both sides of the ball. Rogers had an off game and the packers d won the game for them. We need to be able to win the 10-7 game in the playoffs.

I would put the OL at the top of our list. We need to sign Mankins back and find at another mauler for C or the other G position. Allow the offense to be more balanced in the play offs and to sustain longer drives. A deep threat at WR would be nice also.

I am all for improving our defense but I didnt think they played poorly at all in the lose to the NYJ. I think they were the victom of poor field position and too much time on the field. If a stud pass rusher could be had that is great, but, Cunningham could be that man. A dominant DE would also be nice but Warren is coming back. Warren, Wilfork, and pretty much anybody is an impressive line. I would like the rotation of Wright and all the younge DL players we have.

Injuries could certainly change my thinking but I am very optimistic about our D

It seems to me, that this would be a good time for some posters to watch "3 games to glory" volumes 1, 2, and 3. Then watch the 07, 09, 10, playoff games. That should answer their questions ;)

1) I think the defense needs to be able to just a little bit better in a few areas. I'd like to see a little more pass rush, the ability to play in the base defense for a higher %age of snaps, and the ability to disguise a little more. This should come with the maturation of the younger players plus some new talent either through the draft or FA.

2) On offense, the Patriots really need a plan B for when Brady is not firing missiles with better accuracy than the military. A running game would be good, a WR that can open the offense more would be good, an RB who can pass block, run AND catch out of the backfield would be good.

Overall I think the Pats could be a decent amount better, it would just take some improvement in some areas. I don't think there is a magical FA or draft signings, I think there are many ways to improve the team.

Pass Rush...get some D beasts 2 get pressure on opp QB
WR to stretch field
OL rebuilt to protect Brady

The way I see it is this

- With the schedule we have next year we should easily make the playoff's even without adding new players and getting key ones back off IR

- The 3 main contenders again next year will likely be the same, the Jets, the Ravens and the Steelers. I suspect the Colts will be better again too

Aside from the Colts those three are big defense teams, I dont see them being high powered offenses, so to beat them what do we need?

Better execution from what we have already, better playcalling/game-planning, a smashmouth running game with a big FB and some road graders to replace Koppen/Connoly, a deep threat vertical WR?

We need a huge pass rush upgrade and a franchise RB.

Pass Rush...get some D beasts 2 get pressure on opp QB
WR to stretch field
OL rebuilt to protect Brady

This, except I would flip WR and OL around in order of importance. Need to win the trench battle which has been the problem in the last three playoff losses. For the most part I think they are set but just need a few more pieces here and there if players come back from IR as we expect them to.

mostly in the trenches:

Big nasty pass rush DE, big nasty pass rush OLB, keep Mankins, keep Light, and make an upgrade at C and/or RG.

Last edited:
This is slightly off-topic and in response to the OP, but I see the Colts replacing the Jets as a contender. They had an off year, but they'll be back. The Jets are F*CKED with their free agents.

The Colts and the Steelers will improve. Don't know about the Chargers. The Jets will fall back. Bet the Ravens don't improve either.

things we need to do...

1 - revamp the o line - its been the downfall of the playoffs... the oline is physcially manhandled, it might be time to part with Koppen, and light , resign mankins, and bulk up on oline man in the draft...

2 pass rushing end and a pass rushing lb... the inside backers are fine, time to revamp the olb and a de that can push the pocket

3 Wr that can stretch the field and not be a pouter ... Ocho cinco is not the awnser, neither is resigning moss...

4- Keep Brady Healthy- nuff said

5 - most important and crucial to a big offseason... PLAYERS AND OWNERS AGREE TO A NEW CBA....

We need a huge pass rush upgrade and a franchise RB.

THIS.....

Bodden coming back will make our DB much better....Ty Warren's return along with Mike Wright should shore up our DL.....a young bookend opposite Cunningham to pressure the QB and on offense a RB like Mendenhall that is a threat to break the long run on any play......Taylor can retire.....It doesn't have to be a first round RB, good ones can still be found in the 3rd and 4th rounds.....Just get one.

Way too early to tell who the AFC contenders will be next year.

Much of the Jets' success on offense depended on big plays by Edwards and Holmes, both of whom have now played out "bargain" one year contracts. I doubt the Jets will be able to afford cap-wise to keep both of them. Also, LT was an important part of their attack and was on a one year "win a ring or bust" contract. He'll be another year older next year. So, I wouldn't say that the Jets will be anywhere near as strong next year.

It will also be interesting to see how Flacco reacts to the criticism he took after the Divisional round game. I also think that we have to find out how much a 35 year old Peyton has in the tank. And, finally, while there is a lot of reason for optimism, we have to see how Brady's healing and rehab progress; it's a touchy injury and a slow recovery with no little risk.

THIS.....

Bodden coming back will make our DB much better....Ty Warren's return along with Mike Wright should shore up our DL.....a young bookend opposite Cunningham to pressure the QB and on offense a RB like Mendenhall that is a threat to break the long run on any play......Taylor can retire.....It doesn't have to be a first round RB, good ones can still be found in the 3rd and 4th rounds.....Just get one.

We had a running back on offense like Taylor.

His name was Lawrence Maroney.

Always a threat to break one, but more often than not, was caught dancing behind the line and killing drives. Just like Mendenhall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes