PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great read: Brady tells the Story of SBLI Comeback

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite part:

“I have zero pain,” Brady said, almost one week to the hour after he took the field for Super Bowl 51. “I feel great. I feel 100 percent.”

Brady had a zen look to him on a brilliant afternoon in Big Sky country. Clear eyes, zero bloodshot. Placid. No limping, no wincing, which took me by surprise after Atlanta’s five sacks and nine significant hits of Brady in the game.

For some reason I didn't realize that McDaniels talks to Brady through the headset until the 15 second cutoff. I guess I knew he could but after he gets the playcall in, I didn't know he drops little hints that way.

Yes, some great quotes :

“I think it was one of the greatest games I have ever played in, but when I think of an interception return for a touchdown, some other missed opportunities in the first 37, 38 minutes of the game, I don’t really consider playing a good quarter-and-a-half plus overtime as one of the ‘best games ever.’ But it was certainly one of the most thrilling for me, just because so much was on the line, and it ended up being an incredible game.“
__

We’ll start with 8:31 left in the third quarter. Atlanta had just gone up 28-3.
“That’s a good place [to start],” Brady said.

“It was similar to what I had felt at halftime,” Brady said. “We came out of halftime saying, ‘Look, we’ve had 20 minutes time of possession, we’ve run 45 or 46 plays, we’ve done a good job moving the ball up and down the field, we just have nothing to show for it because of a missed third-and-one, a fumble in their territory, an interception return for a touchdown in their territory, because of poor execution in the red area … We had over 200 yards passing in the first half [actually 184], so it wasn’t like we were in there at halftime saying, ‘Hey, how are we going to move the ball?’

When Fox came back from its break, Brady and McDaniels were deep into play-diagrams for the next series. “There were still a lot of calls on the call sheet that we liked, based on the style that they were playing,” Brady said.
__

ON COACH-TO-QB COMMUNICATION WITH MCDANIELS

One: the six-yard touchdown pass to Danny Amendola, Brady can hear a coach talk to him until the 15-second point of the play clock, but he doesn’t recall exactly what McDaniels told him on this one.

“I think he said, ‘Don’t forget about Danny,’ or ‘Danny has a great shot on this.’ Something like that,” Brady said. “I wanted to give Danny a better chance to get open. So I pushed him out because I knew at that point I had changed the route and I wanted to make sure Danny would get the leverage or put him in a better position to get the leverage based on the route that he had. I wanted to move him out because I didn’t want him to get stuck inside of Jalen … [Collins] being inside told me it was probably man coverage, a perimeter corner on the inside of the field … When I pushed Danny out, Jalen didn’t really adjust, so I was really looking outside after that to see if the corner was going to try to get involved and maybe trapping that to the flat. But once I saw the corner go with the outside receiver, or it might have been James White, I just threw it to Danny.”

Brady said he likes McDaniels’ reminders because they’re not oppressive or unrelenting; they’re notes based on what McDaniels is seeing from the sideline. “No question part of the advantage of going fast is the coach-to-quarterback communication, if you’re set at the line with 31 seconds left, there are two advantages: You limit defensive substitutions, and a second set of eyes can help you.“
__

ON 2 POINT CONVERSION, ANDREWS AND WHITE

Two: the two-point conversion fakery, the successful run by White. It’s the same play they used in the Super Bowl 13 years ago against Carolina, with Kevin Faulk. But the difference here was what happened at practice on Friday.

Andrews is normally good at the snap. But on Friday … “He snapped it over, it was kind of at my head, so James couldn’t get his hand up there to get it,” Brady said.

I don’t think Josh lost confidence in that play, and certainly not losing confidence in David, because Dave has been a great player for us, and he has done it a hundred times right.”

The one other point about White’s play: He gave nothing away—didn’t act jumpy or anticipatory. “It is a lot of concentration,” Brady said. “Don’t give it away, catch a snap when you really don’t know it’s coming, so you have to react to it. Then after you catch the snap, read the blocks and get in at the most critical point in your career. I’d say that is a pretty incredible play.”
__

TRIBUTE TO PAYTON

Third play of the opening, and only, drive of OT: Hogan was singled left on Collins. Brady throws to a spot about 23 yards downfield, on the left. Hogan digs his foot into the ground and boomerangs back, expecting the ball. Collins is a step behind him. The ball hits Hogan in the hands at the 40, and he efforts ahead to the 37. Just a beautiful play.

“It's such a Peyton Manning-type throw,” Brady said. “I watched him for so many years make those throws. I used to be in amazement. Marvin [Harrison] and Reggie [Wayne], they'd cut their route off, turn around, ball was in the air, in stride, 15-, 18-yard gain. How the heck did they do that? There's so much trust from the quarterback to the receiver. The DB can't get to the ball faster than the receiver can. You got to believe your receiver is going to get to the ball faster than their guy. That's what that play came down to.”
__

But when Brady looks back at this Super Bowl, he’ll think of more than the game. He’ll think of 111 practices.

My favorite part:

That's my favorite part too. The man is feeling great, after 2 playoff games in which he got seriously abused. Whatever he's doing seems to be working very well. I feel like Brady will actually play until he's 44 or 45

There will be 2 podcasts of Brady being interviewed by King, one will cover his other passion the TB12 health and welness process and how long he wants to play can't wait to hear those.

There's so much in there that an item like this is just a sidenote:

The Patriots liked the man-to-man matchups against Collins. Why? Because he is, in the vernacular, “long,” and New England’s scouting theory entering the game was that “long” corners (Collins is 6'1") are slightly slower at stopping and starting.

That's a pretty clear confirmation of what we've seen over the years with the parade of "smurf" DBs. It's a strategic tradeoff: for every play where a big corner is more competitive on a deep jump ball, there are a bunch of plays where he's going to be a step behind on a routine completion that keeps a drive going. It's very rare for a corner to have both size and elite stop-and-start quickness -- and BB has traded for two of those, Talib and Rowe.

Yes, some great quotes :

“I think it was one of the greatest games I have ever played in, but when I think of an interception return for a touchdown, some other missed opportunities in the first 37, 38 minutes of the game, I don’t really consider playing a good quarter-and-a-half plus overtime as one of the ‘best games ever.’ But it was certainly one of the most thrilling for me, just because so much was on the line, and it ended up being an incredible game.“
__

We’ll start with 8:31 left in the third quarter. Atlanta had just gone up 28-3.
“That’s a good place [to start],” Brady said.

“It was similar to what I had felt at halftime,” Brady said. “We came out of halftime saying, ‘Look, we’ve had 20 minutes time of possession, we’ve run 45 or 46 plays, we’ve done a good job moving the ball up and down the field, we just have nothing to show for it because of a missed third-and-one, a fumble in their territory, an interception return for a touchdown in their territory, because of poor execution in the red area … We had over 200 yards passing in the first half [actually 184], so it wasn’t like we were in there at halftime saying, ‘Hey, how are we going to move the ball?’

When Fox came back from its break, Brady and McDaniels were deep into play-diagrams for the next series. “There were still a lot of calls on the call sheet that we liked, based on the style that they were playing,” Brady said.
__

ON COACH-TO-QB COMMUNICATION WITH MCDANIELS

One: the six-yard touchdown pass to Danny Amendola, Brady can hear a coach talk to him until the 15-second point of the play clock, but he doesn’t recall exactly what McDaniels told him on this one.

“I think he said, ‘Don’t forget about Danny,’ or ‘Danny has a great shot on this.’ Something like that,” Brady said. “I wanted to give Danny a better chance to get open. So I pushed him out because I knew at that point I had changed the route and I wanted to make sure Danny would get the leverage or put him in a better position to get the leverage based on the route that he had. I wanted to move him out because I didn’t want him to get stuck inside of Jalen … [Collins] being inside told me it was probably man coverage, a perimeter corner on the inside of the field … When I pushed Danny out, Jalen didn’t really adjust, so I was really looking outside after that to see if the corner was going to try to get involved and maybe trapping that to the flat. But once I saw the corner go with the outside receiver, or it might have been James White, I just threw it to Danny.”

Brady said he likes McDaniels’ reminders because they’re not oppressive or unrelenting; they’re notes based on what McDaniels is seeing from the sideline. “No question part of the advantage of going fast is the coach-to-quarterback communication, if you’re set at the line with 31 seconds left, there are two advantages: You limit defensive substitutions, and a second set of eyes can help you.“
__

ON 2 POINT CONVERSION, ANDREWS AND WHITE

Two: the two-point conversion fakery, the successful run by White. It’s the same play they used in the Super Bowl 13 years ago against Carolina, with Kevin Faulk. But the difference here was what happened at practice on Friday.

Andrews is normally good at the snap. But on Friday … “He snapped it over, it was kind of at my head, so James couldn’t get his hand up there to get it,” Brady said.

I don’t think Josh lost confidence in that play, and certainly not losing confidence in David, because Dave has been a great player for us, and he has done it a hundred times right.”

The one other point about White’s play: He gave nothing away—didn’t act jumpy or anticipatory. “It is a lot of concentration,” Brady said. “Don’t give it away, catch a snap when you really don’t know it’s coming, so you have to react to it. Then after you catch the snap, read the blocks and get in at the most critical point in your career. I’d say that is a pretty incredible play.”
__

TRIBUTE TO PAYTON

Third play of the opening, and only, drive of OT: Hogan was singled left on Collins. Brady throws to a spot about 23 yards downfield, on the left. Hogan digs his foot into the ground and boomerangs back, expecting the ball. Collins is a step behind him. The ball hits Hogan in the hands at the 40, and he efforts ahead to the 37. Just a beautiful play.

“It's such a Peyton Manning-type throw,” Brady said. “I watched him for so many years make those throws. I used to be in amazement. Marvin [Harrison] and Reggie [Wayne], they'd cut their route off, turn around, ball was in the air, in stride, 15-, 18-yard gain. How the heck did they do that? There's so much trust from the quarterback to the receiver. The DB can't get to the ball faster than the receiver can. You got to believe your receiver is going to get to the ball faster than their guy. That's what that play came down to.”
__

But when Brady looks back at this Super Bowl, he’ll think of more than the game. He’ll think of 111 practices.

Look at what Brady said about Manning, Harrison and Wayne. Yet, people still say he is arrogant, smug, etc. Wow.

coaches that plan to be in SBLII should keep this article on their desktop..

Has SI disabled its comments section?. I did not see any today (I have not been to MMQB in a long time). That section is hilarious populated by most hate you will ever see in a football forum - many calling King a Pats stooge while others think he is a NFL stool pigeon, expressing angst with King's comments on social issues and a bunch of other stuff.

That's my favorite part too. The man is feeling great, after 2 playoff games in which he got seriously abused. Whatever he's doing seems to be working very well. I feel like Brady will actually play until he's 44 or 45
he's really pliable

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST