PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grady Jarrett is reportedly on trading block

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously, d-line is an area the Pats could use an upgrade. Looks like the Falcons are looking to unload Grady Jarrett because of their cap situation (they are over the cap and he has a $23 million cap hit) and that Jarrett is going into his last year of his deal and will be a free agent next year. He is better than any of the free agent DTs available. The one issue beyond him looking for a new deal is that he is undersized for what the Pats usually use for the Pats' d-line. But on the flip side, the guy is very disruptive.

But imagine pairing him up with Barmore inside and Judon outside.

Could we afford him?

Would've been Superbowl 51 MVP if not for the Falcons collapse. Great player not sure if we can afford him

One of those players I've wished we had during his whole career. I remember he was talked about as a potential draft pick for us, then he fell really far and went to another team. I wonder if we didn't take him one of the mid rounds because we didn't like him, or just a matter of other available players being higher on the board.

Could we afford him?

His base salary is only like $7.4 million. Give him a new deal with the contract backloaded and that number could go down a bit for 2022. Yes, if the Pats wanted him, they could find a way to afford him. The Pats' future cap is fine.

EDIT: My bad. It is $16 million. The Pats can get that down to $8-10 million in a cap hit with a long term deal.

Sign all beasts!

wwe mood GIF

Grady Jarrett is really the only player on the Falcons D that is noteworthy. I would find it hard to believe they would trade him, however the Falcons are in Cap Hell. If they trade him, they would reduce their cap by 16-17 million, not sure of the exact amount. He has 1 more year left on his contract. Grady is also a fan favorite, a local guy, and the Falcons don't need to anger their fanbase any more than they have already have.

When you think he was a 5th round pick, behind the #1 pick Vic Beasley, no longer playing football, the #2 pick Jalen Collins last know to be playing for the Toronto Argonauts, #3 Tevin Coleman, not a bad RB with the Jets, and the #4 pick Justin Hardy no longer playing football, you can see why the Falcons became such a mess!

His base salary is only like $7.4 million. Give him a new deal with the contract backloaded and that number could go down a bit for 2022. Yes, if the Pats wanted him, they could find a way to afford him. The Pats' future cap is fine.

EDIT: My bad. It is $16 million. The Pats can get that down to $8-10 million in a cap hit with a long term deal.
yes on the edit... The 16.5m is the last year of his deal... anything they would do would have to be contingent on the player agreeing to an extension and the Falcons eating the pro-rated bonus in full (which I think they have to, but can't say for certain)

yes on the edit... The 16.5m is the last year of his deal... anything they would do would have to be contingent on the player agreeing to an extension and the Falcons eating the pro-rated bonus in full (which I think they have to, but can't say for certain)

Pro-rated bonuses are already paid and do not transfer in a trade.

Very Explosive Player BB loves those kind of D-Linemen I like.:cool:

I vaguely recall the Pats brain trust speaking glowingly of Jarrett in the past….

More interior pass rush please

Jarrett and Barmore in the middle of our line? Yes please.

Always got this guy mixed up with the Raiders Grady Jackson who played in the early 2000's. During the Falcons run that year in 2016 I was like "that guy is still in the league?"

Get better in the interior and switch back to a 4-3.

His salary is $16.5M, We wouldn't owe any bonus money.

Grady Jarrett is really the only player on the Falcons D that is noteworthy. I would find it hard to believe they would trade him, however the Falcons are in Cap Hell. If they trade him, they would reduce their cap by 16-17 million, not sure of the exact amount. He has 1 more year left on his contract. Grady is also a fan favorite, a local guy, and the Falcons don't need to anger their fanbase any more than they have already have.

When you think he was a 5th round pick, behind the #1 pick Vic Beasley, no longer playing football, the #2 pick Jalen Collins last know to be playing for the Toronto Argonauts, #3 Tevin Coleman, not a bad RB with the Jets, and the #4 pick Justin Hardy no longer playing football, you can see why the Falcons became such a mess!
And I thought, from reading some posts on this site, that Bill Belichick was the only one who drafted poorly.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back