PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good deal??? Holmgren comments on Deion trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoostation

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Talk about trying to save face after giving up a 1 for Deion.

From the Globe.

Former Patriots receiver Deion Branch totaled 53 catches and four touchdowns in his first season with the Seahawks, but Seattle coach Mike Holmgren still believes he was worth the first-round pick (24th overall) and big salary the team surrendered to acquire him.

"If I got to 24th and I knew I could take Deion Branch, I'd take him," Holmgren said. "It worked out well for Seattle. He'll be a good player for the Seahawks for a long time."

I know DB is and will be a good receiver for the rest of his career, but let's compair him to our first round pick in 2 years. Holmgren is trying to justify this move now that his team has no 1st round pick. Damage control at it's best.

Last edited:
Or he believes what he said. When people talk about stuff like this they often ignore the financial side and are just talking about the players. I'd take Deion over #24 any day if ignoring the financial side.

the only reason I diagree is the contract. Deion + big money vs #24 on the cheap for 5 years, I'll take #24.

Or he believes what he said. When people talk about stuff like this they often ignore the financial side and are just talking about the players. I'd take Deion over #24 any day if ignoring the financial side.

the only reason I diagree is the contract. Deion + big money vs #24 on the cheap for 5 years, I'll take #24.

Can't really measure the deal for another year. Would you take Deion over our number 1 pick last year?

Can't really measure the deal for another year. Would you take Deion over our number 1 pick last year?
Doesn't really come down to that simplicity...what Deion wanted the void of his last year wa ssomething that they did NOT do for Brady or Seymour...a real stumbling block...on the sutace is a no-braoner..in reality it was more complex
and a problem...

Doesn't really come down to that simplicity...what Deion wanted the void of his last year wa ssomething that they did NOT do for Brady or Seymour...a real stumbling block...on the sutace is a no-braoner..in reality it was more complex
and a problem...

...you're absolutly right. And the same thing (almost) is happening in Chicago with Briggs.

Sure and I'd take Deion at 24 too....with the 1st rd rookie contract that comes with it!

Well we lost Meion for a year but as we sit here today we have #24 + Stallworth for him as Stallworth's contract, if the option is picked up, if pretty close to Meion's.

What does a 24 pick contract look like? How much per year?

What does a 24 pick contract look like? How much per year?
Nothing compared to $6M a year.

You can look at Maroney on Miguel's page :

http://www.patscap.com/capfootnotes.html#maroney

He went 21. 24 this year will get a bit less after adjusting for NFL inflation.

"On 8/14 the Boston Globe's Mike Reiss reported that "Maroney's contract with the Patriots is a five-year package worth a total of $8.735 million"

So about $1.5M a year on average. Small in comparison.

If MH is happy and BB is happy, it's a win-win, and a deal can't get better than
that. I'm sure that BB would have been much happier with DB during the
season last year and I'm sure that MH would be happy having his first back
but each gave that up (BB not willingly) for the perceived benefit. Win-Win.
Let it go, it's time to move on and see what we get on our end of the deal.

F

We made out like a bandit.

Nevertheless, I'd take almost any proven NFL player over a low first round pick.

Bird in the hand.

We made out like a bandit.

Nevertheless, I'd take almost any proven NFL player over a low first round pick.

Bird in the hand.
You're right of course, the known quantity is always preferred over the gamble. On the other hand, Branch is a solid NFL player but certainly not a super star, and there is more upside with the #24 pick (or any pick for that matter, although the odds get longer and longer the deeper into the draft you go). #24 could be a bust, but he could also turn out to be the next Brian Urlacher, Champ Bailey, or Ed Reed.

Moreover, given the salary cap, we didn't JUST get #24 for Deion. We also got considerable cap space which can and will be used to pay for other quality players - a Stallworth, or (most of) an Adalius Thomas. Another thing to keep in mind is that a draft pick is simply an exclusive right to contract with a player for a certain # of years, 4, 5, or 6 depending on where they are drafted. Our contract with Deion was going to expire by now anyway - now we have another 5 year low-cost lease on a different player.

Last edited:

With all due respect, what's he supposed to say, " we got shafted and overpaid". You always put the best face on it regardless of the outcome.
I think that they expected more out of Branch and to be fair, they may see it after a full year in their system. On the other hand if a large part of his success was due to having Tom Brady throwing him the ball, well then that is not going to be duplicated in Seattle..
Just my $0.02,

I give branch a pass on last season, for several reasons.
A. He got traded on the eve of the season and had to sit out a few games to learn the offense.
B. The west coast offense under Holmgren is notoriously complex difficult to grasp
C. They lost Hasslebeck for a significant amount of time
D. They lost Alexander for a significant amount of time.

With all due respect, what's he supposed to say, " we got shafted and overpaid". You always put the best face on it regardless of the outcome.
I think that they expected more out of Branch and to be fair, they may see it after a full year in their system. On the other hand if a large part of his success was due to having Tom Brady throwing him the ball, well then that is not going to be duplicated in Seattle..
Just my $0.02,

I agree.

This is a dumb thread.

I give branch a pass on last season, for several reasons.
A. He got traded on the eve of the season and had to sit out a few games to learn the offense.
B. The west coast offense under Holmgren is notoriously complex difficult to grasp
C. They lost Hasslebeck for a significant amount of time
D. They lost Alexander for a significant amount of time.

I was just about to write the same thing and saw you beat me to it. You're right. I'm going to look at this up coming season and see how Dieon does playing a full season.

Funny - I was expecting Holmgren to say that they got snookered by BB and Co.!

Seriously there's no news there really.

In hindsight my only regret is that the Patriots and Branch didn't privately agree not to franchise him this year in return for his playing last year.

At the point that "demand" became public knowledge the Patriots couldn't accept those terms as you just can't publically give into any player demands, lest there be major consequences with other players later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back