PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giants Hire Dave Gettleman to be Next GM

What do people think of Gettleman? Is he competent?

Don't know if he's competent, but I do know he is hated around these parts.

As I understand it, He came to power in Carolina because the previous regime left them in cap hell.

He exercised fiscal discipline, made good draft picks, and the Panthers made a Super Bowl appearance. The following year he left the secondary curiously bare and Newton regressed.

The owner "Mister" Jerry Richardson was dismayed that valued but aging vets like Greg Olsen were going to allowed to leave rather than to be given the contract which would allow them to retire Panthers. So they fired Gettleman in favor of the previous regime who left them in cap hell.

And now Richardson is selling the team anyway for unrelated reasons, so who knows?

Gettleman seems to be able to make tough, unsentimental decisions, so goodbye, Eli?

I guess I really don't have an opinion either way on the guy.

Just looking at the players he has drafted in CAR hes done a heck of a job.

All I know is it rules out Caserio going to the Giants. Good.

Last edited:
Don't know if he's competent, but I do know he is hated around these parts.
He was responsible for the Panthers being in the SB 2 years ago and the success they had this year. Built the team the right way. Prior GM hung around town and sniped from the sidelines. Gettleman got fired when he did not want to pay Olsen and Davis - a year early rather than a year late guy.

Yep, story says:

Gettleman, 66, shares deep roots with the Giants, having spent 15 years in New York as a personnel executive from 1998 to 2012.
It was clear he had the inside track because Tish/Mara/Accorsi were doing the hiring.

Gettleman seems to be able to make tough, unsentimental decisions, so goodbye, Eli?
Even before the hire, I read that the Gints were inclined to finesse the situation by keeping Eli as gap filler to whomever they draft in the off season.

It'd be interesting to see if Eli had the testicular fortitude to ask for a release, since it's clear his days are numbered in NY regardless. I think he won't which indicates he's just coasting till retirement.

He was responsible for the Panthers being in the SB 2 years ago and the success they had this year. Built the team the right way. Prior GM hung around town and sniped from the sidelines. Gettleman got fired when he did not want to pay Olsen and Davis - a year early rather than a year late guy.

Good get imho. He knows what he's doing.

He builds inside/out and actually seems like a decent person. Local too I believe.

Gettleman is a solid football guy & did a good job in Carolina. He'll do a good job in NY. But the real news here is that this makes it much more likely that Caserio returns & likely eliminates McDaniels from the Giant's job.

Their are so many more openings
Indiapolis Chicago Tennessee Detroit Cincinnati Arizona Las Vegas Raiders some whispers the Packers Job could be open.
I think the Giants job goes to Frank Reich though and I would put the KC o coordinator in Indy.
Matt Patricia in Detroit.
Josh McDaniels in Cincinnati.
Chicago the job goes to Jim Schwartz.
Titans job goes to Jim Bob Cooter.
Arizona the job goes to Gus Bradley.
That's just playing some match maker.

Looks like he might bring Steve Wilks with him as well. He could be the next coach for the giants.

I went on three different NYG message boards and saw quite a few angry/upset fans because they don't think anything will change.

I went on three different NYG message boards and saw quite a few angry/upset fans because they don't think anything will change.

Another Lombardi-ism (via Al Davis): If we're all thinking the same thing, no one is thinking!

Seems like NYG is OK with not thinking...

For those who are interested, Gettleman is a local (for you guys) boy. He was born in Boston, went to Boston Latin for high school, then Springfield College.

He was with the Giants from 1999 to 2012 so a ton of experience with the organization, then got the GM job in Carolina. He values d-linemen over cornerbacks (similar to the Giants), which is why Norman was never getting paid. He was saving up for Short and Lotulelei, who he drafted with his first two draft picks (double-dipping at DT).

A lot of Panthers fans were quite upset that he was fired when it was clear he was going to take a hard line with some old Panthers. It wasn't the first time; it was an ugly divorce with Steve Smith and DeAngelo Williams, and then rescinding the franchise tag on Josh Norman to let him leave. Ownership wasn't thrilled with those moves, and couldn't have been happy thinking about going through it again with Greg Olsen and Thomas Davis.

I think he's a hell of a personnel guy, and this is a great move for the Giants.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back