PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriot WR Brandon Lloyd retires from NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh I don't think he had the same impact as Lafell despite the stats.

They're...the same.

It's not like "they're kinda close", they're virtually identical.

And Lloyd could block on pick plays without drawing OPI flags.

LaFell's younger so he's got a bit of a higher ceiling, but that's about it.

Lafell over Lloyd. Lafell was far more clutch in he playoffs...Lloyd was useless in the 2012 playoffs, especially against Baltimore. Laffell stepped up huge vs Baltimore. With that said, No one made as many incredible catches as Lloyd.

In fairness to Lloyd, he was over 30 when the patriots got him, and was past his prime. Just like Holt Wayne Johnson were all far past there prime when they came to the patriots.

Lafell seems to be the first in his prime 26 year old WR the patriots spent money on in free agency. They mostly go for rental with aging vets.

No question I like LaFell better. There's an actual chance he runs after the catch. He's faster and he's younger than Lloyd was, and he's probably not batshit crazy either.

But to act like Lloyd sucked is simply revisionist history. He was fine. LaFell was fine last year. Fine is what you need out of that spot. that's all.

They're...the same. It's not like "they're kinda close", they're virtually identical.

And Lloyd could block on pick plays without drawing OPI flags.

LaFell's younger so he's got a bit of a higher ceiling, but that's about it.
Lafell is much taller and physical. Lloyd just had great hands but wasn't the most physical by any means.

I never really saw Lloyd as the most physical guy from my viewpoint

Slow and fell over after every catch. Could make some circus catches on occassion never really lived up to hype (or was just over hyped around here)

Anyway enjoy the golf course

What hype was there exactly? Other than "be better than the dog crap we've had out there the last few years" I don't remember any, except for a tiny, delusional group of people who thought a guy that ran a 4.8 40 was going to be some sort of Randy Moss clone.

Lafell is much taller and physical. Lloyd just had great hands but wasn't the most physical by any means.

I never really saw Lloyd as the most physical guy from my viewpoint

He wasn't, but that's not what you brought him in for. You brought him in to get 60 catches, 800 yards and make the corner actually cover you.

That's what LaFell gives you, but he also gives you a little more speed, a little more height, and more physicality.

I didn't think this was a LaFell vs. Lloyd thread. LaFell obviously wins that. But I really don't get why Brandon Lloyd supposedly sucked now. He was fine, he did a good job in his time here.

He wasn't, but that's not what you brought him in for. You brought him in to get 60 catches, 800 yards and make the corner actually cover you.

That's what LaFell gives you, but he also gives you a little more speed, a little more height, and more physicality.

I didn't think this was a LaFell vs. Lloyd thread. LaFell obviously wins that. But I really don't get why Brandon Lloyd supposedly sucked now. He was fine, he did a good job in his time here.

Very typical of this board. Greatest thing since Moss on his way in here and a total bust on his way out. Truth be told, he was somewhere in between.

Lloyd never sucked, but he was a very weird wr.

1) He was rarely very open, often half assed routes yet he caught everything that came his way and had extremely high efficiency numbers.
2) He never had any YAC, but you almost never saw an interception either and year in and year out he'd put up lots of yards and tds.
3) He was slowish, not particularly quick and not tall yet did his best work on go routes.
4) He was said to have a mental disorder, yet seemed like a good pro.

In short an enigma. We got more than what we paid for though.

Great talent and charmin soft .........

Brady makes his living throwing in the middle which does not go with Charmin soft players.

When they don't block well (Dobson) it's even worse.

No. He was supposed to be a guy, and he was just fine. 74 rec, 911 yds, 4 TD. Just what you need from that boundary WR in this offense.

The people who thought he was supposed to be some "deep threat" were frickin delusional, because he's slow as molasses, but at that position in this offense, he was fine.

LaFell last year - 74 rec, 953 yds, 7 TD. Pretty much the same production, and he was, again, just fine in this offense.

It's the same, except LaFell got more yards and TDs from the same number of catches.

Eh I don't think he had the same impact as Lafell despite the stats.
If I recall correctly Lloyd (in his one season with the Patriots) had a disproportionate amount of his yardage in games that the Pats lost.

In his defense you could view that as Lloyd being the player that Brady/BB looked to when they needed a comeback; on the other hand one could view that as his being just another option (along with Gronk, AH and Woodhead) if Welker was not open that season.

Edit: per Pro Football Reference:
  • 298 of Lloyd's 911 receiving yards came in two games, both losses (Niners, Ravens)
  • Lloyd had four 70+ yard games; three were losses
  • Lloyd had seven 60+ yard games; four were losses

Some of that of course can be attributed to any team passing the ball more when they are behind, but it still seems as though he was top-heavy in production in just two games, as well as in losses.

I remember Brandon Lloyd as a McDaniels retread from his time with the Broncos. Didn't meet expectations but wasn't terrible either. I feel like McDaniels has grown a bit since then, or at least eased up on running out of shotgun.

Real enigma. Some sort of emotional problems seemed to dog him according to reporting.

Unbelievable body control, but he sure had a quiet 74 catches here.

Seemed to always fall down immediately after catch.

Zombies have many emotional Problems and always flop after the Catch.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIINS!!!

159795905.0.jpg

He led the league in yards in 2010 with 1448, and had 11 TDs.

So now he can focus on his blossoming rap career I suppose
:confused:

I liked Lloyd here. I felt that the people that complained about him here was almost always expecting something from he that he never was. They wanted a deep threat, which is something that he never was. He did stretch the field. But not vertical like many expect WRs to do. But horizontal. He did a lot of outs/comebacks and slants outside the numbers that meant that defenses couldn't just focus on the inside guys.

Very typical of this board. Greatest thing since Moss on his way in here and a total bust on his way out. Truth be told, he was somewhere in between.

I have to wonder how many actual posters were being hypocrites there. Or ever are really.

How many of these two extreme opinions were ever expressed by the same poster?

Is it possible one group of posters had nothing to do with that second group of posters except for the fact that they all happen to post at patsfans.com?

Last edited:
I have to wonder how many actual posters were being hypocrites there. Or ever are really.

How many of these two extreme opinions were ever expressed by the same poster?

Is it possible one group of posters had nothing to do with that second group of posters except for the fact that they all happen to post at patsfans.com?

Great point but it's not even exclusively this board. Wilforks last year on New England
Me: I dono man it looks like Vince but he's just not the same player out there
Friend: Blah blah blah you're an idiot he's still a beast
One year later after signing in Houston...
Friend: Wilfork is finished hes all washer up
Me:eek:_O

Same with Welker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey