Former Patriot WR Brandon Lloyd retires from NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Former Patriot WR Brandon Lloyd retires from NFL

John Morgan

Former New England Patriot wide receiver Brandon Lloyd announced his retirement from the NFL on Thursday. Lloyd caught 74 passes for 911 yards and four TD with New England in 2012, and was an All-Pro in 2010 with Denver.

Lloyd specifically mentioned Tom Brady among a half dozen players that “playing alongside ... made me a better player and made me a better person”.

Continue reading...

His tenure here was certainly an odd one. Still did a lot better than how some FA Wide receivers have fared here.

14c6b6d7dbb0d320ea0257404c6e3b3d.jpg

p7WRC.jpg

There might be many touchdown receptions I loved more at the time than this one, but at the end of the day, this one comes very close to topping the list just on Old Spice style points alone.

Last edited:
Real enigma. Some sort of emotional problems seemed to dog him according to reporting. Unbelievable body control, but he sure had a quiet 74 catches here. Seemed to always fall down immediately after catch.

I think Lloyd had an aversion to contact. Great hands and body control but he always seemed that when he caught the ball his momemtum carried him to the ground or out of bounds. He must have been at the bottom of the league for yards after catch.

His emotional issues trumped his athletic abilities, unfortunately. OTOH were his emotional issues trumped up?? I know he was hard to get along with..

Real enigma. Some sort of emotional problems seemed to dog him according to reporting. Unbelievable body control, but he sure had a quiet 74 catches here. Seemed to always fall down immediately after catch.
Bad attitude/ perpetual malcontent / difficult teammate / bipolar....all speculated reasons on why such a talented WR with amazing body control bounced around the league nearly every year.

Looking at Lloyd purely as a football player, it was very clear (at least during his stint in NE) that BL was all about "self preservation." He once gave an interview praising the advice given by a WR great ( I think it was Torry Holt) who counseled Lloyd to minimize contact if he wanted a long career in the NFL.........mission accomplished.....12 years of paychecks.

Breaking it down even more...yes...Brandon Lloyd was the consummate pro, at least until the ball got into his hands. Lloyd was a football player..... but not a winner willing to sacrifice for the team. He could make the catches....and that kept him on NFL rosters....he just wasn't willing to sacrifice to earn yards after the catch.....and that's what separates good from great. Think of the hunger and desire to turn a catch into a great play displayed by Edelman and Gronk and Welker over the years.....WINNERs. Lots of teams have solid football players, few have winners....and Brandon Lloyd was never willing to sacrifice. Great formula for sustained paychecks....but not for rings. Life in the NFL for most players.

totally agree. Him being bipolar, or whatever, is what ruined him and why he bounced around the league. Those kind of emotional/personality disorders are very difficult to deal with as a teammate and as a coach. If he was in a good mood, great he will give 100%. But he seemed like the kind of guy where if he was off he half assed it. Think Manny Ramirez dogging it in the outfield sometimes.

I remember how ecstatic we all were though when we brought him in. He was supposed to be the guy.

I remember how ecstatic we all were though when we brought him in. He was supposed to be the guy.

No. He was supposed to be a guy, and he was just fine. 74 rec, 911 yds, 4 TD. Just what you need from that boundary WR in this offense.

The people who thought he was supposed to be some "deep threat" were frickin delusional, because he's slow as molasses, but at that position in this offense, he was fine.

LaFell last year - 74 rec, 953 yds, 7 TD. Pretty much the same production, and he was, again, just fine in this offense.

No. He was supposed to be a guy, and he was just fine. 74 rec, 911 yds, 4 TD. Just what you need from that boundary WR in this offense.

The people who thought he was supposed to be some "deep threat" were frickin delusional, because he's slow as molasses, but at that position in this offense, he was fine.

LaFell last year - 74 rec, 953 yds, 7 TD. Pretty much the same production, and he was, again, just fine in this offense.
Now by saying the guy I didn't mean being the primary target. We were looking for a guy who could simply stretch the field at that time and Lloyd was thought of as the guy who could fill that need for us.

Now by saying the guy I didn't mean being the primary target. We were looking for a guy who could simply stretch the field at that time and Lloyd was thought of as the guy who could fill that need for us.

And he did, just like LaFell did last year.

Lafell over Lloyd. Lafell was far more clutch in he playoffs...Lloyd was useless in the 2012 playoffs, especially against Baltimore. Laffell stepped up huge vs Baltimore. With that said, No one made as many incredible catches as Lloyd.

In fairness to Lloyd, he was over 30 when the Patriots got him, and was past his prime. Just like Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne and Chad Johnson were all far past there prime when they came to the Patriots.

Lafell seems to be the first in his prime 26 year old WR the patriots spent money on in free agency. They mostly go for rental with aging vets.

Slow and fell over after every catch. Could make some circus catches on occassion never really lived up to hype (or was just over hyped around here)

Anyway enjoy the golf course

Lafell over Lloyd. Lafell was far more clutch in he playoffs...Lloyd was useless in the 2012 playoffs, especially against Baltimore. Laffell stepped up huge vs Baltimore. With that said, No one made as many incredible catches as Lloyd.

In fairness to Lloyd, he was over 30 when the patriots got him, and was past his prime. Just like Holt Wayne Johnson were all far past there prime when they came to the patriots.

Lafell seems to be the first in his prime 26 year old WR the patriots spent money on in free agency. They mostly go for rental with aging vets.
Yep. They bit hard on Donald "Don't know the plays" Hayes in 2002 which was a complete disaster.

Clearly LaFell gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back