PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First play Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

pazrul72

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
These prediction kinds of threads are always interesting. What Offensive play and formation do you think the Pats (or texans if you swing that way) will run first?

I think it will be the 21 formation with Lloyd out wide Welker in the slot same side. Hernandez will be a wing type back on the opposite side with Fells on the line. Mankins is back but Connelly doesn't make it so cannon lines up at RG. Counter strong side from Ridley gains 4 yards setting the tone for the day.

Thoughts?

Minor, but there's been no indication that Cannon is ahead of McDonald at guard, much less Thomas.

Since the weather is expected to be less than ideal, I think the Pats will set the tone with an early pass to show that they're not afraid to pass in the rain and wind.

Texans are probably going with a playaction with their first play.

65 Toss Power Trap.

In reality, I have no idea.

I think the Pats are going to try and establish the run which will keep Watt of Brady's back,if that doesn't work then Welker will be busy.

Joseph is going to be back,the WRs will be up against a fine CB

These prediction kinds of threads are always interesting. What Offensive play and formation do you think the Pats (or texans if you swing that way) will run first?

I think it will be the 21 formation with Lloyd out wide Welker in the slot same side. Hernandez will be a wing type back on the opposite side with Fells on the line. Mankins is back but Connelly doesn't make it so cannon lines up at RG. Counter strong side from Ridley gains 4 yards setting the tone for the day.

Thoughts?

Much to the anger of some (justified or not), I'd bet it is an empty backfield for the first couple of plays (no huddle). The thought process being they want to make the Texans feel the sting of what can be done to them with our quick passing game (plus let them suck some icy Foxboro air right from the beginning). My suspicion is the Texans have been practicing/game planning and will be expecting/playing the Patriots run game especially that they think we are think at WR plus Gronk is out. So once (hopefully) that seed of 'You see what you get, Texans? You see what you get when you mess with the Orphans?"' is established through the air and right down their throats -- the 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB set (in its various forms) will slice and dice them for good runs as well as alternately paralyzing them with play action. One would think some catch and runs to our RBs will be utilized more frequently than normal.

Of course this is a complete shot in the dark .....and I'm likely way off base :D

I agree. The Patriots can run the ball.

This may sound strange, but people are doubting if they can still pass it with Gronk and Edelman down.

You gotta establish some fear. I hope Brady is passing out of 5 Wide that first snap. If you complete that, there's gonna be some panic.

I think they open with the Gator-Glidden.

Short pass to Aaron Hernandez for 5 yds. Then one or two runs by Ridley for the 1st down...

schaub bootleg trying to hit johnson DEEP...why not...50% of the time the flag will go up

Flea Flicker to Brandon Lloyd over Jonathan Joseph.

Vereen runs to the right for 17 yards.

Maybe that fake end around they run every game but this they will actually run it. In other words, end around to Lloyd for 15 yards

Pass to Welker for six yards.

I'm feeling off my rocker today.

Brady to Hootenanny 37 yard reception.

Um, statue of liberty, of course.

Truly though, a 4 yard completion to Welker from a 3WR set.

These threads really don't make sense because you don't know the down and distance of the first offensive position...

Clearly they're going to run "Spider 3 Y Banana"

1) Deep to Stallworth....Incomplete
2) Ridley up the middle for 5
3) Welker on the sideline for a 1st

1) Ridley for 6
2) Ridley for 3
3) Vereen for 7

Play action fake screen to welker flea flicker hail mary statue of liberty reverse. 76 yard td

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey