PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First mock w/trades and comments - OLB Nick Perry & DT Kendall Reyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: First mock w/trades and comments - OLB Nick Perry & DT Kendall Reyes

Maybe it's just because I've been following a zillion different mock drafts...but your analysis for each pick almost seems verbatim to other site's mock drafts.

I do research and that does mean I do look at other sites, but I assure you that every thing I wrote is my own thoughts and every pick is my own as well. Sorry if you feel I did not bring anything new to the table.

I do research and that does mean I do look at other sites, but I assure you that every thing I wrote is my own thoughts and every pick is my own as well. Sorry if you feel I did not bring anything new to the table.

Sorry I didn't mean it the way it sounded now that I re-read it. I just meant that the commentary is pretty solid throughout and most people have the same overviews and character assessments. You did a great job.

31. NE-Kendell Reyes, DE: A bit of a shocker here, but Reyes is the perfect fit for the patriots 3-4 scheme. He is long and uses his hands well, is stout against the run and has the ability to get to the QB as well.

Wolfe is even more stout against the run, and has greater ability to get to the QB.
Wolfe and Reyes played in the same conference same position. This is what they did on the field last season.

Reyes 4.5 sacks 13.5 TFLs 46 Tackles
Wolfe 9.5 sacks 21.5 TFLs 70 Tackles

Pretty clear who was better against the run and had the greater ability to get to the QB. Wolfe also helped his team led the nation in TFL per game, and come second in the nation in sacks per game. I'll take Wolfe over Reyes any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Last edited:

Who knows what Bill will do. Well, as for getting a pass-rusher in round 1, hey, he was abnormally active in FA this year. We can only hope, right??

Wolfe is even more stout against the run, and has greater ability to get to the QB.
Wolfe and Reyes played in the same conference same position. This is what they did on the field last season.

Reyes 4.5 sacks 13.5 TFLs 46 Tackles
Wolfe 9.5 sacks 21.5 TFLs 70 Tackles

Pretty clear who was better against the run and had the greater ability to get to the QB. Wolfe also helped his team led the nation in TFL per game, and come second in the nation in sacks per game. I'll take Wolfe over Reyes any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Wolfe is more of a sub rusher and they signed Fanene to fill that role. Doesn't mean they won't add Wolfe as well, but it does mean less snaps available for his skill set. While he bulked up to 295 at the combine, he was back into the 280's a week later at his pro day. Reyes is a 3-4 DE who has the size and functional strength to eat up blocks.

I actually like both of them, but Reyes makes more sense as an option across from Deaderick in the base rather than Wolfe behind Pryor/Fanene in the sub.

I agree that the Patriots will look to trade down with one of those 2 picks, but I just couldn't find a suitable partner to make a trade with.

Thanks to all for the input.

A trade almost identical to the NO trade last year would be to move #27 to Atlanta for #55 and their 1st next year. For a team that went all-in on Julio last year, they have some surprising holes to fill on offense. LT is a mess and Tony Gonzalez is old enough to have lined up next to Andre Rison and caught passes from Elvis Grbac.

So I could see the Falcons looking to get to #27 and pick up the last of the top tier tackles (Martin/Adams) or Fleener. The Pats continue collecting their 2nd round dividend and a block of 48/55/62 gives them the ammo to stock up on solid value.

Side benefit is that with improving divisional opponents in Carolina and TB, playing the NFC East and roadies at Detroit, KC and SD...the Falcons realistically could disappoint and boost the value of their 2013 pick.

A trade almost identical to the NO trade last year would be to move #27 to Atlanta for #55 and their 1st next year. For a team that went all-in on Julio last year, they have some surprising holes to fill on offense. LT is a mess and Tony Gonzalez is old enough to have lined up next to Andre Rison and caught passes from Elvis Grbac.

So I could see the Falcons looking to get to #27 and pick up the last of the top tier tackles (Martin/Adams) or Fleener. The Pats continue collecting their 2nd round dividend and a block of 48/55/62 gives them the ammo to stock up on solid value.

Side benefit is that with improving divisional opponents in Carolina and TB, playing the NFC East and roadies at Detroit, KC and SD...the Falcons realistically could disappoint and boost the value of their 2013 pick.

Question. If the situation was reversed, would you want the Patriots to do that trade?

Question. If the situation was reversed, would you want the Patriots to do that trade?

I can't imagine a situation where I would think it is a good idea to trade a future 1st round pick.

Would love some feedback, thanks
1. IND-Andrew Luck, QB: I think enough has been said about this pick, Luck has no real holes in his game and the Colts “lucked” into getting a franchise QB to follow right after Manning.

2. WAS-Robert Griffin III, QB: After watching Cam Newton succeed last year, you have to think Griffin will be a stud as well. He is very smart and has insane athletic skills.

3. MIN-Matt Kalil, OT: Kalil has prototypical size to play LT.

4. MIA from CLE-Ryan Tannehill, QB: Miami has had a horrible off season and needs to make a splash. They cannot risk Cleveland taking Tannehill and being left with nothing.
I can see this happening.

5. TB-Maurice Claiborne, CB: Aquib Talib is one arrest away from being out of the NFL and Barber is way past his prime.

6. STL-Justin Blackmon, WR: The trade down pays off as the Rams still get their guy. Having an elite WR to pair up with Sam Bradford

7. JAC-Melvin Ingram, DE: Jacksonville is always a wildcard when it comes to their pick. Most people have Coples as the #1 DE but Jacksonville likes hard working, high character guys over the most talented players. Ingram is no slouch either.
Coples could go here too.

8. CLE-Trent Richardson, RB: The last few years, Cleveland has traded down and seemed to get the worst of each of those deals. This time the deal pays off as they get one of the elite players in this draft while picking up additional picks

9. CAR-Fletcher Cox, DT: One of my favorite players coming into the draft season has vaulted way up the boards and gets into the top 10. Carolina’s D-line was awful last year and Cox brings versatility to play both DT or DE and can stop the run as well as rush the passer

10. BUF-Reilly Reiff, OT: The Bills were able to address their pass rush needs by getting the best FA in Williams. Now they can address another major need and upgrade a position of real weakness.
DeCastro is another possibility.

11. Kansas City-Dontari Poe, DT: Kansas City wants to run a 3-4 2 gap system that Crennel ran in new England and the only way to run it successfully is with a huge NT to clog the middle. Poe is a more athletic version of Wilfork and similar to Ngata. He is a bit raw but guys that big and athletic do not come around all that often

12. DAL via SEA-Quinton Coples, DE: Dallas makes a small trade up to grab Coples who has slipped. Putting Coples opposite Ware gives the Cowboys an amazing pass rush combination.
I don't agree w/ this one. Coples looks more like a 4-3 DE. Seattle is a better fit here.

13. ARZ-David DeCastro, OG: DeCastro is one of the best players in this draft. He can be plugged in at guard for the next 10 years and play at a pro bowl level. The Cardinals need some continuity on the O-line and it can start with DeCastro.

14. SEA-Luke Kuechly, LB: Seattle’s starting linebacker is Heath Farwell, I think that explains this pick perfectly. They have a surprisingly good defense that gets another boost with Kuechly manning the middle.
If Dallas keeps this pick, then it's either Kuechly, Gilmore/Kirkpatrick, or maybe Upshaw.

15. PHI-Michael Brockers, DT: We all know that the Eagles love to build from the inside out and they stick with that once again. Brockers is young but full of talent and Philly needs help at DT.
Because of Jason Peters' injury, Philly might now have to reach for Glenn/Martin/Adams.

16. NYJ-Mark Barron, S: Even though the Jets signed Laron Landry, he is only a temporary fix to a problem. Barron is far and away the best safety in the draft and can come in and help right away as well as be a future staple in that secondary.

Unfortunately, I can see the Jesters grabbing Barron here.

Last edited:

cont:
17. CIN-Dre Kirkpatrick, CB: The Bengals are starting to look like a team who could take that next step, but they do need help in the secondary as Nate Clements is no spring chicken.
It looks more & more that Gilmore will be drafted ahead of Kirkpatrick.

18. SD-Mike Adams, OT: The Chargers did resign Gaither, but before playing well for the chargers, he was having a hard time sticking with other teams they did lose McNeil as well. Adams has great size and athleticism, but may need some time to bulk up a bit, but has the potential to be a franchise left or right tackle

19. CHI-Jonathan Martin, OT: The Bears were able to address their biggest need when they acquired Brandon Marshall, they do however have some holes to fill on the O-line. Martin can play either tackle position if needed.

20. TEN-Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB: While Upshaw does not possess ideal measurable, his production in the SEC proves that measurable are not everything. Upshaw can help upgrade a pass rush that was sorely lacking for the Titans last year.
I kinda agree; at 279 a couple of days ago, Upshaw's eating his way into changing from 3-4 OLB
into a 4-3 DE

21. CIN-Cordy Glenn, OT/OG: Both of the Bengals guards are free agents and could be upgraded anyway. Glenn could play tackle as well, but really could be a dominant guard.

22. CLE-Michael Floyd, WR: Floyd slips a bit and the Browns are happy to scoop him up. Floyd runs great routes, is tough to defend and catches everything. He is just great value here

23. DET-Janoris Jenkins, CB: They lost Wright to FA and that left a whole at CB, so the Lions take a risk on a player who has top 10 talent but has some off field issues that make this pick a little risky.
Whoever's left of Gilmore/Kirkpatrick should be taken here, not Jenkins; not even by Detroit.

24. PIT-Dont’a Hightower, ILB: Hightower to the Steelers is a perfect marriage. He fits their system perfectly and after the release of Farrior the Steelers have a major need at the position.

25. DEN-Devon Still, DT: The Broncos won the Manning lottery and now can focus their attention to the defense. Still has the label of underachiever on him which is why he is still available here because when he is playing to his potential he is one of the best players in the draft.
Jerel Worthy is another possibility.

26. HOU-Kendall Wright, WR: Houston is starting to look like a real power in the AFC and Wright is a perfect #2 WR to go along with Andre Johnson. The Texans offense could be very potent with a legit 1-2 punch at WR.
Don't be surprised if Rueben Randle's the pick here, because of his abilities outside the hashes.
Stephen Hill might also be drafted ahead of Wright

27. NE-Nick Perry, OLB: They finally did it, they take an OLB early to appease the masses. Perry is a little stiff, but he is an explosive pass rusher with the size that Belichick wants from his OLB.
I would be absolutely shocked if Bill drafts Perry. I'd rather have Mercilus,
but Bill's not drafting him either

28. GB-Whitney Mercilius, OLB: Even though his production was only one year, you cannot deny his production last season. Like NE, the Packers are in the need for some additional pass rush and Mercilius could be the guy.

29. BAL-Peter Konz, OC: The Ravens are another team that looks at the BPA rather than needs, but this time around, BPA and need line up well and the Ravens get a top notch center who can come in and start right away.

30. SF-Stephon Gilmore, CB: The Niners starters at corner played well last season but they still need help back there. Gilmore has great size and instincts and with a little coaching could be a real shutdown corner.
There is no way whatsoever that Gilmore falls this far. If he does, Bill would be (justifiably)
all over him. He could be our next starting FS

31. NE-Kendell Reyes, DE: A bit of a shocker here, but Reyes is the perfect fit for the patriots 3-4 scheme. He is long and uses his hands well, is stout against the run and has the ability to get to the QB as well.

32. NYG-Coby Fleener, TE: The TE position is expanding more and more and Fleener is a matchup problem similar to what Rob Gronkowski has done for the Patriots, another weapon for Eli and the gang.

Reyes at 31 works for me. We desperately need more athleticism on the DL.

Last edited:

Wolfe is more of a sub rusher and they signed Fanene to fill that role. Doesn't mean they won't add Wolfe as well, but it does mean less snaps available for his skill set. While he bulked up to 295 at the combine, he was back into the 280's a week later at his pro day. Reyes is a 3-4 DE who has the size and functional strength to eat up blocks.

I actually like both of them, but Reyes makes more sense as an option across from Deaderick in the base rather than Wolfe behind Pryor/Fanene in the sub.

What do you mean he bulked up to 295? Wolfe has a big frame, he can easily go to 300. He showed up at 295 at the combine, that is the weight in which he wanted to perform.

Wolfe did much better than Reyes against the run in the same conference same position, he makes much more sense than Reyes in the base. 21.5 TFL 70 Tackles vs 13.5 46 Tackles. Very clear who was better against the run.

What do you mean he bulked up to 295? Wolfe has a big frame, he can easily go to 300. He showed up at 295 at the combine, that is the weight in which he wanted to perform.

Wolfe did much better than Reyes against the run in the same conference same position, he makes much more sense than Reyes in the base. 21.5 TFL 70 Tackles vs 13.5 46 Tackles. Very clear who was better against the run.

He weighed 282 lbs at his pro day.

He weighed 282 lbs at his pro day.

Wolfe lost 15 pounds in less than a week? Hard to believe that report. Hard to believe that he wanted to starve himself right after the combine.

He has a huge frame which can easily carry 300 lbs.

I always find it amazing when people make claims about one player being better than other then throw out stats that are bogus..

Reyes - (CAREER) 49 games - 78 solo tackles, 68 assisted tackles, 27 solo tackles for loss, 10 solo sacks, 10 passes defensed, 3 forced fumbles, 6 QB hurries

Wolfe- (CAREER) 43 games - 84 tackles, 72 assisted, 27 solo tackles for loss, 18 solo sacks, 2 passes defensed, 3 forced fumbles, 9 QB hurries.

They had 4 common opponents this past year. Rutgers, Louisville, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh as well as playing eachother. Reyes only had a good game against Cinncy. Wolfe had a good game against Louisville and UConn.

Sorry, Patsderoer, you aren't impressing people with your BS... and Looking at those numbers and the fact that Wolfe and Reyes are about the same in the different categories that get tested, well, other than Reyes having a better broad jump, you really haven't convinced anyone that your binkie Wolfe is better than Reyes..

Wolfe lost 15 pounds in less than a week? Hard to believe that report. Hard to believe that he wanted to starve himself right after the combine.

Well, I can't it really surprises me that you'd attack the source of a report that doesn't favor your opinion.

I always find it amazing when people make claims about one player being better than other then throw out stats that are bogus..

Reyes - (CAREER) 49 games - 78 solo tackles, 68 assisted tackles, 27 solo tackles for loss, 10 solo sacks, 10 passes defensed, 3 forced fumbles, 6 QB hurries

Wolfe- (CAREER) 43 games - 84 tackles, 72 assisted, 27 solo tackles for loss, 18 solo sacks, 2 passes defensed, 3 forced fumbles, 9 QB hurries.

They had 4 common opponents this past year. Rutgers, Louisville, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh as well as playing eachother. Reyes only had a good game against Cinncy. Wolfe had a good game against Louisville and UConn.

Sorry, Patsderoer, you aren't impressing people with your BS... and Looking at those numbers and the fact that Wolfe and Reyes are about the same in the different categories that get tested, well, other than Reyes having a better broad jump, ..

You arent impressing me with you BS and your lying stats.

Wolfe has 37 TFL in his college career, not 27. And you speak about bogus stats?

Wolfe against Pittsburg this season 2 sacks 2 TFL
Reyes against Pittsburg this season 0 sacks 0 TFL.

When they played each other this season, Wolfe had a monster game with 2.5 sacks and 5 TFL vs Reyes with 0 sacks and 2 TFL.

you really haven't convinced anyone that your binkie Wolfe is better than Reyes

Um, it was Wolfe who was named Big East DPOY, not Reyes. Or maybe I brought out the judges?

This last season, when they were both seniors and the backbone of their teams DLines, Wolfe clearly had a much better season than Reyes.
Wolfe 9.5 sacks 21.5 TFL 70 Tackles
Reyes 4.5 sacks 13.5 TFL 46 Tackles

Nothing bogus about this production at all. What is really bogus is how Reyes is projected late 1st/early 2nd, while Wolfe is projected 4-5th round. That is really bogus.

Well, I can't it really surprises me that you'd attack the source of a report that doesn't favor your opinion.

When I remember that Brockers was reported initially as 6'7" at the combine, I learned not to take this reports as gospels.

On 25th FEB at the combine weigh in for the DL, Wolfe had 295. His proday was on 2 March, less than a week later. I am supposed to believe that he starved himself after the combine, lost 15 pounds in less than 1 week, and for what? He stood on his numbers from the combine, so he had nothing to win by starving himself for a week after the combine.

Anybody can see that Wolfe has a huge frame and can easily carry 300lbs. He came at the combine at 295, that was the number that he wanted to perform in. And he did perform at the combine at 295 and put up very solid numbers in all drills. He didnt do the drills at his proday. So teams know what they will get from him at 295.

It is very clear that you Wolfe detractors have to nitpick his weight, cause that is all you have to diss him.

He has a huge frame which can easily carry 300 lbs.

Yes....the official lied to the press that he weighed 282 lbs on his pro day...

:rolleyes:

Would love some feedback, thanks
1. IND-Andrew Luck, QB: I think enough has been said about this pick, Luck has no real holes in his game and the Colts “lucked” into getting a franchise QB to follow right after Manning.

2. WAS-Robert Griffin III, QB: After watching Cam Newton succeed last year, you have to think Griffin will be a stud as well. He is very smart and has insane athletic skills.

3. MIN-Matt Kalil, OT: Kalil has prototypical size to play LT.

4. MIA from CLE-Ryan Tannehill, QB: Miami has had a horrible off season and needs to make a splash. They cannot risk Cleveland taking Tannehill and being left with nothing.

5. TB-Maurice Claiborne, CB: Aquib Talib is one arrest away from being out of the NFL and Barber is way past his prime.

6. STL-Justin Blackmon, WR: The trade down pays off as the Rams still get their guy. Having an elite WR to pair up with Sam Bradford

7. JAC-Melvin Ingram, DE: Jacksonville is always a wildcard when it comes to their pick. Most people have Coples as the #1 DE but Jacksonville likes hard working, high character guys over the most talented players. Ingram is no slouch either.

8. CLE-Trent Richardson, RB: The last few years, Cleveland has traded down and seemed to get the worst of each of those deals. This time the deal pays off as they get one of the elite players in this draft while picking up additional picks

9. CAR-Fletcher Cox, DT: One of my favorite players coming into the draft season has vaulted way up the boards and gets into the top 10. Carolina’s D-line was awful last year and Cox brings versatility to play both DT or DE and can stop the run as well as rush the passer

10. BUF-Reilly Reiff, OT: The Bills were able to address their pass rush needs by getting the best FA in Williams. Now they can address another major need and upgrade a position of real weakness.

11. Kansas City-Dontari Poe, DT: Kansas City wants to run a 3-4 2 gap system that Crennel ran in new England and the only way to run it successfully is with a huge NT to clog the middle. Poe is a more athletic version of Wilfork and similar to Ngata. He is a bit raw but guys that big and athletic do not come around all that often

12. DAL via SEA-Quinton Coples, DE: Dallas makes a small trade up to grab Coples who has slipped. Putting Coples opposite Ware gives the Cowboys an amazing pass rush combination.

13. ARZ-David DeCastro, OG: DeCastro is one of the best players in this draft. He can be plugged in at guard for the next 10 years and play at a pro bowl level. The Cardinals need some continuity on the O-line and it can start with DeCastro.

14. SEA-Luke Kuechly, LB: Seattle’s starting linebacker is Heath Farwell, I think that explains this pick perfectly. They have a surprisingly good defense that gets another boost with Kuechly manning the middle

15. PHI-Michael Brockers, DT: We all know that the Eagles love to build from the inside out and they stick with that once again. Brockers is young but full of talent and Philly needs help at DT.

16. NYJ-Mark Barron, S: Even though the Jets signed Laron Landry, he is only a temporary fix to a problem. Barron is far and away the best safety in the draft and can come in and help right away as well as be a future staple in that secondary

Hard work. Thank you
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes