PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First Domino: Hall of Fame Game canceled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether or not we have a season or if you think we’ll have one, this isn’t much of a first domino.

It’s a pretty pointless game. Only becomes a 5th preseason game for the participants involved. So no reason to really have it this year.

The first domino falling would be if training camp time gets cancelled or actual weeks of the preseason getting cancelled.

This doesn’t mean much. It’s untenable to have this game and it’s the most meaningless game of the year

I think another likely explanation is this game is just quietly becoming a thing of the past.

If they can't get a handle on the coronavirus in a pre-season game, what about the regular season? Are they really going to improve conditions in 4 weeks?

didnt aaron godgers (sarcasm) have this cancelled a few years back?

i think as others have mentioned, this game is a thing of the past. no need to take extra risk

I feel like the NFL is burying its head in the sand. This is the first crack in the armor as far as the stedfast business (almost) as usual.

I feel like the NFL is burying its head in the sand. This is the first crack in the armor as far as the stedfast business (almost) as usual.
The NFL, IMO, is playing this correctly. They are preparing to have a season, until they do not have a season. Prepare to go on time, so if they do, they are prepared. I agree with the OPer, this is the first domino. I don't think there's any way they will start on time. Zero chance. 0%. 50-50 at best that they'll play.

I admit to usually watching the game, but only because, by that point of the year, I am serious;y jonesing for some football.

But yeah, it has become a pretty pointless game, and just another opportunity for some young player to lose a season due to an injury.

I agree it's a pointless game. But I do watch it because it's the official return of football. The greatest Hall of Fame game of all time happened in 2000. It had so much symbolism (unknown at the time). Joe Montana had been inducted that weekend, the 49ers were playing the Patriots. It was also Tom Brady's 1st NFL game. It was during that game, that Steve Mariucci realized he made the biggest mistake of his professional career by selecting Giovanni Carmazzi (also HIS 1st NFL game) over Tom Brady. Effectively signaling the official ending of the 49er's dynasty, and the start of the Patriot's dynasty (the following year).

So you never know the importance, or the lack thereof, any Hall of Fame game. But this year, it's the least important game of all time, smart to cancel it. Probably will have 2 preseason games, if the season ever gets off the ground.

I admit to usually watching the game, but only because, by that point of the year, I am serious;y jonesing for some football.

But yeah, it has become a pretty pointless game, and just another opportunity for some young player to lose a season due to an injury.

Or an opportunity for some young player to get himself noticed. Two sides to that coin.

I agree it's a pointless game. But I do watch it because it's the official return of football. The greatest Hall of Fame game of all time happened in 2000. It had so much symbolism (unknown at the time). Joe Montana had been inducted that weekend, the 49ers were playing the Patriots. It was also Tom Brady's 1st NFL game. It was during that game, that Steve Mariucci realized he made the biggest mistake of his professional career by selecting Giovanni Carmazzi (also HIS 1st NFL game) over Tom Brady. Effectively signaling the official ending of the 49er's dynasty, and the start of the Patriot's dynasty (the following year).

So you never know the importance, or the lack thereof, any Hall of Fame game. But this year, it's the least important game of all time, smart to cancel it. Probably will have 2 preseason games, if the season ever gets off the ground.

Plus, it’s actual NFL football for the first time in 5ish months.

Only becomes a 5th preseason game for the participants involved.

The thing I don't get is why the "reward" for being selected for the game is an extra preseason game.

I think another likely explanation is this game is just quietly becoming a thing of the past.
It will go the way of that old game of Super Bowl Champs versus college All Stars which was held until the mid 70's IIRC......

I agree that the game is useless, but cancelling it isn’t “nothing”. It could be a sign the NfL isn’t moving on as usual, while telling everyone they plan on doing just that.

It doesn’t look like a season is going to happen.

The first signal...

The game has been rescheduled for 8/5/20.

The real concern is if this virus lingers. I mean, it's not just going to go away as it only needs one idiot to spread it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back