PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favre takes Jets from decent to dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just funny going around to different teams' message boards such as the Colts, Chargers, Bills, Dolphins, etc. Everybody is laughing about this trade. Even if he does get them to the playoffs, he retires at the end of the year anyway and sets the franchise back at least five.

:eek:
We are no longer top dog in the DIVSION. How are the Pats ever going to compete with a HOF QB like Brett Favre? Just hand them the division trophy now. What is the point of actually playing the games? It's a waste of time. The JETS ARE THE BEST TEAM IN THE DIVISION NOW. Just get on the bandwagon now so that you won't be left behind.
Patriots who? :rolleyes: BB and the coaching staff must be hiding in a dark room shaking in fear.

Agreed. Vegas should have the Jets as the odds on favorite to win the SB right now. You just can't say enough about the guy. You just can't.

How are our young DB's going to defend him?!

It's just funny going around to different teams' message boards such as the Colts, Chargers, Bills, Dolphins, etc. Everybody is laughing about this trade. Even if he does get them to the playoffs, he retires at the end of the year anyway and sets the franchise back at least five.

Yea b/c god knows no one can afford to lose a 2nd rounder without it killing their franchise:rolleyes:

Yea b/c god knows no one can afford to lose a 2nd rounder without it killing their franchise:rolleyes:

What you will have lost is a 2nd rounder, $6M in cap space, a year of offensive development and once again, your dignity. What you will have gained is a young team now chock full of bad habits and the sale of a bunch more expensive PSL's than Woody could have otherwise hoped to pawn off on a disgrutled fan base... Which will just give you guys more to biatch about when you're calling for wholesale changes come January, after Brett holds his annual, tearful farewell address...

Don't get me wrong. He will improve you guys. But you still haven't drafted a decent quarterback to take the reigns after he leaves. And you can't tell me that you have absolute faith in Kellen Clemens. Most likely you won't be in the position to draft a highly rated one next year either. These moves you guys made can either help you a little (considering the division you're in) or absolutely kill you.

EDIT: not to mention the front office is shelling out 12 million for a 38 year old gunslinger.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. He will improve you guys. But you still haven't drafted a decent quarterback to take the reigns after he leaves. And you can't tell me that you have absolute faith in Kellen Clemens. Most likely you won't be in the position to draft a highly rated one next year either. These moves you guys made can either help you a little (considering the division you're in) or absolutely kill you.

EDIT: not to mention the front office is shelling out 12 million for a 38 year old gunslinger.

Then how is the franchise set back five years? If Pennington would have started what does age have to do with anything? If Clemens as you say is nothing then what are we doing which is setting our franchise back back 5 yrs? a 2nd rder?

I look at the schedule first and foremost and then try to determine what effect having a huge upgrade at QB potentially has on the schedule.

Here is what I see:
@ Miami, Win
New England, Loss
@ San Diego, Loss
Arizona, Win
Bye
Cincinnati, Win
@Oakland, Win
Kansas City, Win
@Buffalo, Loss
St Louis, Win
@New England, Loss
@Tennessee, Win
Denver, Loss
@San Fran, Win
Buffalo, Win
@Seattle, Loss
Miami, Win
Potential for 10 wins if they play good solid football all year and Brett doesn't regress. Either way, the Jets have improved on the offensive side of the ball and can have some "hope". Without Favre, they really had no hope as long as noodle arm was their QB. I bet the Jets fans are just going insane right now. However, I still give the AFC East to the Pats. They have a better receiving core, better defense and better running backs. But the Bills fans must be so pissssed off. LOL.

It would be daft to suggest Favre doesn't make the Jets more dangerous, but I didn't fear the Packers with Favre, so no way will I fear him with the Jets (not that my fear has much of an effect either way).

While I certainly don't think this move puts the Jets in the same league as the Colts, Chargers, and Steelers as contenders, but it puts them a rung higher than they were beforehand. A good Favre gives the Jets a better chance in their other 14 games too, and in theory makes the division that bit better.

This comes off as such a stupid desperate move. Its not like the Jets are in the hunt for the Super Bowl. They may make the wild card and lose a second rounder. What good is that? Favre will be completely washed up or gone soon and the Jets are screwed again. The Bills are being smarter than the Jets. They aren't getting desperate but getting better slowly and not investing a high draft pick into a fricking 39 year old quarter back.

Next year isn't the year you want to draft a QB. If the Jets do well, their 1st round pick will be in the bottom half of the 1st round. Meaning that any of the top QBs will be off the board by the time they draft. They don't have a second, so that means it will be the bottom half of the 3td round before they would pick again. Do you really think that it will only take a year for a 3rd round QB to develop? Especially with no veteran QB there to mentor him since Favre is not guaranteed beyond this year?

The only way you would get up high enough to get one of the better QB prospects is to trade talent currently on your team. If that happens it hurts the team and sets you back. And you still have a young QB who needs mentoring..

So, explain how getting Favre for a 1 year rental helps the Jets in the long term?

What you will have lost is a 2nd rounder, $6M in cap space, a year of offensive development and once again, your dignity. What you will have gained is a young team now chock full of bad habits and the sale of a bunch more expensive PSL's than Woody could have otherwise hoped to pawn off on a disgrutled fan base... Which will just give you guys more to biatch about when you're calling for wholesale changes come January, after Brett holds his annual, tearful farewell address...

lol, look in the dictionary and look for homer you may see this post as an example.

Next year isn't the year you want to draft a QB. If the Jets do well, their 1st round pick will be in the bottom half of the 1st round. Meaning that any of the top QBs will be off the board by the time they draft. They don't have a second, so that means it will be the bottom half of the 3td round before they would pick again. Do you really think that it will only take a year for a 3rd round QB to develop? Especially with no veteran QB there to mentor him since Favre is not guaranteed beyond this year?

The only way you would get up high enough to get one of the better QB prospects is to trade talent currently on your team. If that happens it hurts the team and sets you back. And you still have a young QB who needs mentoring..

So, explain how getting Favre for a 1 year rental helps the Jets in the long term?

I never did but someone has to really be reaching to say it sets them back 5 years. Mike Vick set the Falcons back five years, this wont. I also could beat your situation and say well what if we traded a 1st and more for Brady Quinn, your response?

I actually can't wait for the Pats to play the Jets now. I used to care less because the Pats own the Jets. Now it will be so funny when the Pats take out the Jets twice this year with their all-star free agent team.

We're all homers. Yourself included.

I can be at times but I am no where as bad as 70 % of people (not here but in general). I was the one giving the Pats props last year for trading a 2nd for Wes Welker, I had no doubt about the Pats and Moss when everyone said Moss would not work in NE. I call Brady the best QB of all time, I am hard pressed to find anyone to say a positive rational thing about the Jets on this site, or even a negative rational thought.

Last edited:
Then how is the franchise set back five years? If Pennington would have started what does age have to do with anything? If Clemens as you say is nothing then what are we doing which is setting our franchise back back 5 yrs? a 2nd rder?

No, the ability to draft a solid quarterback. Great quarterbacks at a young age and relatively injury free are seldom if ever available through free agency. This means you have to be a position to draft one. You guys won't be. Then, Favre retires after this year or at least puts you guys in the same position he put the Packers. After that, you guys revert back to the 4-12 ways. This time, you're in the position, but after a couple of the experiments elsewhere on the team fail, the Jets are put in the position to fill those holes. If that doesn't happen, let's say you do draft a quarterback. He needs at least 2-3 years to pan out in the NFL and become a decent-elite quarterback. It's very rare to find a QB coming right out of the draft that will be successful in this league. So, yes, I'm guessing a five year setback of the franchise.

And, like someone else said, do you guys honestly think he's going to tutor your younger quarterbacks? He wouldn't do it with Rodgers, what makes you think he'll do it with Clemens?

I can be at times but I am no where as bad as 70 % of people (not here but in general). I was the one giving the Pats props last year for trading a 2nd for Wes Welker, I had no doubt about the Pats and Moss when everyone said Moss would not work in NE. I call Brady the best QB of all time, I am hard pressed to find anyone to say a positive rational thing about the Jets on this site, or even a negative rational thought.

You even said yourself I'm pretty rational when it comes to the Jets. I do think this will help you guys be more competitive and get into the playoffs. But then what happens next year when Favre pulls this stunt again? Nobody said you wouldn't get better. You'll be better in the short term. Long term, this trade with the amount of money you'll be shelling out will set you back. No doubt about it.

I look at the schedule first and foremost and then try to determine what effect having a huge upgrade at QB potentially has on the schedule.

Here is what I see:
@ Miami, Win
New England, Loss
@ San Diego, Loss
Arizona, Win
Bye
Cincinnati, Win
@Oakland, Win
Kansas City, Win
@Buffalo, Loss
St Louis, Win
@New England, Loss
@Tennessee, Win
Denver, Loss
@San Fran, Win
Buffalo, Win
@Seattle, Loss
Miami, Win
Potential for 10 wins if they play good solid football all year and Brett doesn't regress. Either way, the Jets have improved on the offensive side of the ball and can have some "hope". Without Favre, they really had no hope as long as noodle arm was their QB. I bet the Jets fans are just going insane right now. However, I still give the AFC East to the Pats. They have a better receiving core, better defense and better running backs. But the Bills fans must be so pissssed off. LOL.

It's only a huge upgrade if you presume a couple of things - that Farve won't regress and that Pennington won't stay healthy. That may be a tossup, but at least if you have a decent OL Chad has the better chance. Each had about as much to do with their teams overall record last season as the other. The Packers were a good team in a weak conference. The JETS were a pathetic team in a far more competitive conference. Farve could not have done a thing for the 2007 JETS. Noodle might have found a way to win one more game for the Packers when it really mattered. It's not nearly as likely their season would have ended with him predictably throwing a pick (though it's entirely possible the Giants front 4 might have killed him..). Farve struggled against tough competition, they just didn't face all that much of it in GB in 2007. Early on that season they were winning games in spite of him because they were playing good defense and running the ball. As the playoffs unfolded he regressed and they saw the high highs and low lows once again. When you're in the one and done season, that inconsistency is as good as having nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back