PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eyes on the prize...camp tales 7/30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Eyes on the prize...camp tales

How did Galloway look since not many have metioned him

My initial impression on Galloway when I watched him in drills, was that He knew how to conserve energy. Now there is some sarcasm in that statement, but this guy is in his late 30's and has nothing to prove by imitating Ray Ventrone. Its a long camp, I'll reserve judgement on Joey Galloway until we get into the preseason games. At that point I'll be looking for that blistering speed to become apparent

One more question, how about Alex Smith? I think he could be a pretty good player for the patriots.

He certainly looked like he belongs, in fact I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable Chris Baker looked catching the ball. Not much to distinguish anyone right now, and that's a positive.

You may be right, I'm sure BB isn't too concerned with who's working with who in the second practice of the season. I'm sure as fans we will make a big deal of stuff like this, but BB is such a situational coach, with numerous personel packages, its hard to tell who the starters actually are, and I'm pretty sure the only thing HE cares about is if they are one the field when they are supposed to be.

IMHO all the situational packages that offenses and defenses have at their disposal is the hidden factor in why the game has changed so much in the last decade. Back in my day or even as recently as a decade ago, when you started the game, you finished the game (body willing), Now days with all the situational packages, if you are playing 70% of the snaps, its a heavy day. Yeah, I know there ARE guys who still do it, like the QB & OL, but but I bet the majority of the rest of the players on O and D are in that 70% area.
Wes Welker: Career Stats Note that he has stats for two teams in 2004.

Dave Thomas made that diving catch against Jacksonville in 06 and gave Del Rio a serious case of the hives. That was the game where Brady was speared by a Jax rookie LB and Del Rio defended the hit in a manner most unamusing to patsfans. Unfortunately for Thomas, he broke his foot in the offseason program, they tried to bring him off PUP but he was re-injured and placed on IR. Last season he just was unable to get any leverage when blocking, especially remembering how well he did as a rookie. Nice to read that he's making circus catches again, with luck that five man crew is going to make BB and Shane Waldron go crazy trying to pick a winner.

Thanks a bunch, Ken.

Really glad to hear about Bodden (not the new Fernando Bryant then) and Redd. I'm not on the Edelman bandwagon (yet) so you won't shatter my dreams if you're right.

On the other hand, I AM a big Aiken fan. He made one catch with a big run after last year (against the Jets?) that was absolutely BRUTAL. I'd love to see him with the ball in his hands again. Go Sam!

Just one question. Wheatley? Wilhite? Enquiring minds (well, Patchick's enquiring mind and me) want to know.

Well the fact is that in 2005 he had a game winning catch, and IIRC, it was a great one in the clutch in the endzone. I don't recall the exact game. You are right about him being hurt, and if it happens again in this camp he'll be done. However IF he is healthy. His receiving ability will make BB think long and hard about letting him go.

It was actually 2006, Christmas Eve, in Jacksonville.

QB12

sounds to me like the te depth chart and cuts are goin to take considerable time to justify..

Vince Redd is a beast. Not sure if his tremendous natural talent will translate to an effective LB but if it does he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Wes Welker: Career Stats Note that he has stats for two teams in 2004.

Dave Thomas made that diving catch against Jacksonville in 06 and gave Del Rio a serious case of the hives. That was the game where Brady was speared by a Jax rookie LB and Del Rio defended the hit in a manner most unamusing to patsfans. Unfortunately for Thomas, he broke his foot in the offseason program, they tried to bring him off PUP but he was re-injured and placed on IR. Last season he just was unable to get any leverage when blocking, especially remembering how well he did as a rookie. Nice to read that he's making circus catches again, with luck that five man crew is going to make BB and Shane Waldron go crazy trying to pick a winner.

With no FBs in TC, I can see 4 TEs being on the 53 for Opening Day.

With no FBs in TC, I can see 4 TEs being on the 53 for Opening Day.

No FBs but do we keep 5 RBs.......Who would you rather have Lawfirm or Dave Thomas or save that spot for another position maybe DB since it was a weakness and we have a lot of new talented faces and might have to make a tough decision on a guy like Richardson or Tank.

I am not a big fan of Dave Thomas but I actually think in this case it might be wise to keep the extra TE as they may fill in a little as FB and certainly without a FB 2TE will be prominent.

No FBs but do we keep 5 RBs.......Who would you rather have Lawfirm or Dave Thomas or save that spot for another position maybe DB since it was a weakness and we have a lot of new talented faces and might have to make a tough decision on a guy like Richardson or Tank.

I am not a big fan of Dave Thomas but I actually think in this case it might be wise to keep the extra TE as they may fill in a little as FB and certainly without a FB 2TE will be prominent.
The trade-offs are interesting. TEs have value as blockers and receivers and on Special Teams. An extra DB has been everybody's fantasy the past few years. With three RBs 32 or older, BJeepers is going to be critical insurance.

I frankly believe David Thomas was still hindered by his foot injury last season, he just didn't have the same cutting ability and blocking strength as he did his rookie year. I'm hopeful another year away from the injury has seen him recovering the ability he flashed as a rook. Of course it's been good to read how all five TEs are showing well in the first two days of camp.

im sayin get rid of mike richardson, tank w., ventrone...so we can keep benjarvus green ellis and dave thomas

we will need bjge in a year or two when sammy and fred taylor are too old to compete with the youngsters...with work bjge could b our small third back like kevin faulk has been

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes