PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ex-nbaer Nate Robinson wants to play in nfl

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimnance

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Says he's" serious as a heart attack". Retired from NBA last year but playing pro ball in Israel now for fun. Football was his 1st love- he went to u of wash. on football scholarship and started at cb as a freshman- but when they fired newheisal he decided to just play hoops. He has actually been contacted by 3 NFL teams-seahawks, cardinals and.. ..Patriots! Ok, not sure of his age but I'm guessing early 30's. He's a freakish athlete- won multiple NBA slam dunk contests and he'd come cheap. Maybe worth a look-see.

Isn't injury primarily the reason he's no longer playing in the NBA? Other than that, I can't imagine why he wouldn't be. He was a baller and helped every team he joined, even our C's. I can't see any position for him the NFL except return man and maybe a Dion Lewis-type role . . . maybe only saying that because of the physical similarities.

I assume he's healthy if he's playing in israel- that's very high- level hoops. But he's only doing it to stay in shape-dont think he's interested in the NBA anymore. Said football was always his favorite sport. He's training on the side to get in football shape- mostly speed and strength work plus skill drills for footwork. He might be 5'9"- but he could probably outjump megatron- so he could cover anyone.

He'll be 32 in May and hasn't played football in over a decade.

He'll be 32 in May and hasn't played football in over a decade.
Obviously a long shot- but the Pats have reportedly talked to him. You never know.

Obviously a long shot- but the Pats have reportedly talked to him. You never know.

The report in the Washington Post says that he reached out to them.

Robinson says he’s talked to a couple of NFL scouts about working out with a few teams, including the Seahawks and Patriots.

There's no indication that they had any interest.

The report in the Washington Post says that he reached out to

There's no indication that they had any interest.
Espn did the interview. I read it all. Nate says Pats scout called him. Who knows? Like I said its a long shot. But he sounds determined

0% chance he makes a roster. Maybe somebody signs him for TC to create some buzz but that's it.

0% chance he makes a roster. Maybe somebody signs him for TC to create some buzz but that's it.
I wouldn't say 0%. I'd put at 0.1%.

The report in the Washington Post says that he reached out to them.
It wasn't mentioned in the interview, but I'd guess he probably reached out to them 1st and the Pats had the courtesy to call him.

That's old. Maybe that's why he's as serious as a "heart attack."
Old for the NFL. But there are exceptions. Didnt Darrell green run a 4.3something 40 to celebrate his 50th bday?

I recall one play when he dove for a loose ball and wound up going entirely under the opponent and coming out with the ball on the other side. It was called a foul, unfortunately, but it still was one of the most football-like plays I've ever seen in the NBA (specifically, it was like a fumble drill).

Yes, he's old in athletic terms. But he hasn't taken a football player's share of injuries. And I doubt there's anything wrong with his cardio. So it would be cool to give him a chance.

Just to be clear -- I'm pretty sure that his college position was CB.

I recall one play when he dove for a loose ball and wound up going entirely under the opponent and coming out with the ball on the other side. It was called a foul, unfortunately, but it still was one of the most football-like plays I've ever seen in the NBA (specifically, it was like a fumble drill).

Yes, he's old in athletic terms. But he hasn't taken a football player's share of injuries. And I doubt there's anything wrong with his cardio. So it would be cool to give him a chance.

Just to be clear -- I'm pretty sure that his college position was CB.
Yes. And he STARTED at cb as a FRESHMAN at a top div.1 program in the PAC 10. If his coach didn't get fired he said he would have continued playing football and gone to the nfl. But he said it was always his dream to play in both the NFL and NBA. Last guy to do it was bud grant. Although a longshot, this isn't as farfetched as Jordan playing mlb. Jordan hadn't played baseball since hs. Anyway was a very cool interview. He's an interesting cat.

Yes. And he STARTED at cb as a FRESHMAN at a top div.1 program in the PAC 10. If his coach didn't get fired he said he would have continued playing football and gone to the nfl. But he said it was always his dream to play in both the NFL and NBA. Last guy to do it was bud grant. Although a longshot, this isn't as farfetched as Jordan playing mlb. Jordan hadn't played baseball since hs. Anyway was a very cool interview. He's an interesting cat.

Jordan didn't play in the MLB, he played AA ball as a publicity stunt and was terrible.

Jordan didn't play in the MLB, he played AA ball as a publicity stunt and was terrible.
Actually Jordan was not bad in AA. I saw him play. If I remember right, he did hit the ball and got on base. He could play the outfield but didn't have the arm for major leagues. That's what I noticed.

Well,Duh. who said he played mlb? That was his goal, but we all know how it turned out. What i said was valid-robinson playing in nfl is not as farfetched as jordan playing mlb. You are one nitpicky dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back