PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Manning vs Brady. Experts pick Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of what you think about the debate, there is no doubt that everyone selecting Manning is a slap in the face for everything Brady has accomplished. In picking a quarterback to lead your team, how does one not pick the guy that has led his team to three SBs with inferior talent to what Manning has had??

An Indy Colts fan posted this over on ESPN and here's my response:

Since when has what the ESPN "experts" said actually mattered? A few years back almost every so-called expert on ESPN, CBS, and some other networks said the Colts were going to win the SB, and we all got to see how wrong they were. Every preseason since at least 2003 part of the media has proclaimed the Colts SB favorites, and this last year they finally got lucky when the Colts defense pulled their heads out of their collective ***es.

The media has always been on Manning's jock, and I like how some of these "experts" seem to forget that Manning wasn't really all that spectacular in the playoffs this year, either. Did any of you actually look at his TD to INT ratio in the 2006 playoffs? It was pathetic! Brady's TD to INT Ratio was better, and Brady through more TD's in less games for those who don't know.
His QB rating in the playoffs at this point in his career is still much lower than his regular season QB rating, and lower than a lot of other QB's postseason ratings. Brady's career playoff QB rating is much higher and was higher in 2006 for those who don't know. Manning was the SB MVP? My Azz! That award should have gone to Dominic Rhodes. They only won the SB this past season because their defense turned it around, and their running game had a good two headed punch.

I also like how the Colts instead of trying to fix defensive problems spend another first round pick on a WR for Manning, then a second round pick on an O-Linemen. The guy's always been surrounded by first round talent at WR and RB, and the trend will continue. I'm not saying the guy sucks or anything stupid like that. I honestly believe he's either the top QB or the second QB depending on what you're looking for, but Colts fans need to realize this guy has never had to cut it with average/below average talent around him on offense. How good would he be with Reche Caldwell as his no.1 WR not Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne? I think he'd still be a good QB, but probably not as good.

Last edited:
Okay to put it simply it is like comparing apples and oranges...until now. Lets make it this situation:

Peyton Manning has the WR's that go by the names of Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown, Jabar Gaffney, Doug Gabriel, Chad Jackson, Kelvin Kight, Benjamin Watson, Daniel Graham, and David Thomas.

Now i mean no disrespect for the Patriots Receivers, and I love them all, but lets faces it. Manning with this set, would probably barely be able to throw 3,000 yards. brady managed to get 3,500 with these. When i think about it more, Manning plays a style of offense, where he has one or two very dominate receivers, he throws to on pretty much any play. So my guess is that Manning would not have the ability to spread the ball around this many receivers. It is amazing what Brady was able to do with these players.

now Brady has Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Brandon Stokely. Now, I don't think that the Patriots or Tom Brady like playing with just a few receivers, and like to spread the ball around, but i bet that Tom could get along fine with this set or wide outs. I could see Brady throwing in the middle-upper four thousands, while still playing the run. The deep threat would prevent safties from playing up, and a player like Marony would prosper, being able to make it into the open.

So my opinion is that the only reason manning is this good is because of the talent around him, and that if he were to lose his great receivers he would be no where as close to as good he is right now. I think that this is the first year we might actually be able to compare them fairly.

But all this offensive line talk, the Colts are only making it better by adding the amazing talent of Tony Ugoh on their line, drafting him a round early.

Edit: But just to make the point, both are the two best playing now, and I think both of them are hall of famers.

I think that both play on teams that are built differently. The Colt's built their offense around Peyton, knowing that they could win with younger, smaller, faster(cheaper) players in Tony's cover-2 defense. So, they will always have better players on offense.

The Patriots have, up until this year, tried to build with balance on both sides of the ball, letting go of guys like Branch and Givens on offense in order to keep the defense intact.

I think thats the difference between the two and why its hard to compare them. I also happen to think that Moss, Stallworth, etc., won't suddenly make Tom Brady into Peyton Manning. The pats don't play that way.

JMO.

I think its a silly argument. If Brady had Manning's receivers or played in a dome, his numbers would be much better. All I know is if my life is on the line for one game, Brady's the guy I want under center, not Manning.

"If we based this solely on winning, Brady's obviously your guy"

My favourite quote from the piece, because after all the NFL is not about winning its about going out and putting up great stats, no one cares whether you win or lose, once you have good stats.

Those guys on the national media are never gonna like the pats, most of them are probably jealous of the pats cause they were never part of a franchise as good as this.

Its all about winning, nothing else. I don't care what happens during the season, its all about the post season. Brady and the pats are kings there. All those other guys can't see through the hype. You want a QB who can win, not put up great numbers.

I think that both play on teams that are built differently. The Colt's built their offense around Peyton, knowing that they could win with younger, smaller, faster(cheaper) players in Tony's cover-2 defense. So, they will always have better players on offense.

The Patriots have, up until this year, tried to build with balance on both sides of the ball, letting go of guys like Branch and Givens on offense in order to keep the defense intact.

I think thats the difference between the two and why its hard to compare them. I also happen to think that Moss, Stallworth, etc., won't suddenly make Tom Brady into Peyton Manning. The pats don't play that way.

JMO.

The Pats haven't had, for various reasons, the 'weapons' to play 'that way'....now they do. They have always played to their strengths. As those strengths have changed over the years so has the playbook.

The Pats haven't had, for various reasons, the 'weapons' to play 'that way'....now they do. They have always played to their strengths. As those strengths have changed over the years so has the playbook.

Even with the "weapons" it may take a while to be on the same page this year. Manning didn't start out as "Mr.Stat" It took him a few years to develop a level of chemestry that he has with his offense now.

Last edited:
Regardless of what you think about the debate, there is no doubt that everyone selecting Manning is a slap in the face for everything Brady has accomplished. In picking a quarterback to lead your team, how does one not pick the guy that has led his team to three SBs with inferior talent to what Manning has had??

:rolleyes:

No it's not. They are two of the best to ever play QB and you cannot make a wrong choice. No one who chooses Manning here has said Brady sucks, and someone's personal preference isn't going to make his rings disappear.

Do you consider it a slap in the face when someone wants sausage on the pizza and you want pepperoni? :rofl:

My thoughts on Brady and Manning

The Patriots and the Colts both teams have the two best quarterbacks. Who is #1 or #2 I don't know. Both teams would have a tough time winning with out them, but what Brady has done with the offense he has had over his career is just amazing. Manning has had not only some of the top receivers in the league his had them year in and year out. It seems Manning as good as he is, tends to be heavily dependent on knowing were his receivers will be. When we were able to disrupt his receivers timing he was almost unable to find an open receiver.

Brady with a constant revolving door of good to mediocre receivers has been able to find the receivers that are open even when our running game stunk. This is not to say that he wont struggle when facing an great defense that keeps him from finding the open receiver, but I don't think there is anyone who could have done the job he has with the offense his had.

Even with the "weapons" it may take a while to be on the same page this year. Manning didn't start out as "Mr.Stat" It took him a few years to develop a level of chemestry that he has with his offense now.

I agree...but if Brady and this current complement of receivers can get close to being on the same page by the beginning of the regular season I see only good things happening. A new chapter is now being written into the ever evolving Patriots playbook and don't think the other teams in the league don't know it.

All's one has to do is look back at what Brady's been able to do up to now with the talent he's had to throw to...just ask the Rams, Panthers, Eagles, and Colts for that matter. A minute away from another SB with those receivers and half the team sick with the flu...amazing!

I agree...but if Brady and this current complement of receivers can get close to being on the same page by the beginning of the regular season I see only good things happening. A new chapter is now being written into the ever evolving Patriots playbook and don't think the other teams in the league don't know it.

All's one has to do is look back at what Brady's been able to do up to now with the talent he's had to throw to...just ask the Rams, Panthers, Eagles, and Colts for that matter. A minute away from another SB with those receivers and half the team sick with the flu...amazing!

That being said (and I cannot disagree with it) One also can't ignore the HORRIBLE defenses Manning has played with throughout his career. That said, the colts are still the 1st or 2nd in overall wins since 99/00 depending on how you want to look at it.

For the majority of the time, EVERYONE knew the colts would attack deep early in often, heck teams still know it and nobody can really stop it. Manning has for the MOST part done incredibly well considering they have never truly had a balanced team (except 05 season)

Manning also is the only QB maybe ever to be a complete offensive coordinator on the field as well, in the superbowl he called every single play from the line of scrimmage. All of this being said plus the fact that he is likely to shatter every passing record in NFL history gives him a slight edge IMO

That being said (and I cannot disagree with it) One also can't ignore the HORRIBLE defenses Manning has played with throughout his career. That said, the colts are still the 1st or 2nd in overall wins since 99/00 depending on how you want to look at it.

For the majority of the time, EVERYONE knew the colts would attack deep early in often, heck teams still know it and nobody can really stop it. Manning has for the MOST part done incredibly well considering they have never truly had a balanced team (except 05 season)

Manning also is the only QB maybe ever to be a complete offensive coordinator on the field as well, in the superbowl he called every single play from the line of scrimmage. All of this being said plus the fact that he is likely to shatter every passing record in NFL history gives him a slight edge IMO

Well you have the right to your opinion. Manning has had a bad defense(which showed up last season in the playoffs, without which ye would not have won), but a great offense which has been built for him.

Brady has been on a good team and made the best of an average reciever corps.

There is the classic difference between the two, Everybody kisses Mannings Balls and he can do no wrong, he has won one superbowl which seems to be better than 3 of Brady's. He has had his team built for him, he has been playing with the same great recievers for his whole career (if he didn't have the stats he had I would have questions). Brady has earned every bit of respect he has been given.

Manning was called a great QB before he was one (just cause of his name), brady earned the right to be called a great QB.

I think manning is good, but I did lose some respect for him last season. after they had lost one of the 4 games they lost, he through his defense under the bus and said they needed to perfrom better. I was like manning if you and your recievers didn't have all the salary cap money maybe ye could spend a bit on defense (he wants to have his cake and eat it). That almost showed as much class as LT after his team collasped.

As I said earlier anyone that picks Manning is picking for Stats, anyone that picks brady is picking a winnner. And the last time I checked the only thing tht matters is the W, nothing else. Everything else is gravy. All you should care about is the W........

Last edited:
I love how they talk about Brady having the better defense. Yet Manning always having pro bowl / hall of fame offensive weapons has nothing to do with Manning's "records". I wonder if Mannings far superior offense had ANYTHING to do with his success. Noooo guys like Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark and Edrin James could not help a qb. A stellar offensive line ( like Manning has) could not help him pad his stats, noooooooo couldn't beeeee. This comparison is biased. Who cares anyway, colts fans claim espn does not know a thing when guys criticize there team.

Most these guys are colts ball washers. Especially Hodge and Clayton. Manning has always had far superior offensive weapons. Lets switch receivers and see his stats. Brady has always done far more with far less, period.[/QUOTE

Great points......

Actually, I think Tom has something to prove this season. Peyton is a hell of a player.

Indy finally had a half-way decent D last year. Should be interesting this year. I'm looking forward to a re-match with Indy for the AFC.

My money is on the Pats all the way, but Brady has to show me something in this showdown.

//

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore