PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Equivalent player replacements

The obvious #1 upgrade in franchise history (if not league history).

A more equivalent QB replacement is Montana to Young.

Edit: Bledsoe had his strengths and some good (regular) seasons but he was really really bad in the postseason, which is where the historical upgrade of Brady really comes in.
I liked Bledsoe but never understood the rabid support he got from some when Brady replaced him. He was good, not great.

and the whole “starters don’t lose their job due to injury” is wrong. Wally Pipp may be the best example, but there are plenty of others.

… Dunno if this really counts but Pleasant/Hamilton to big Ted?
Ted to Vince.

And Ted was only here a year. Not sure that’s long enough to qualify as an upgrade candidate, or if it’s just a placeholder.

Last edited:
The "Jakobi vs JuJu" thread inspired me to make this one. This is about how the Patriots let one good player go and tried to replace them with an approximate level of talent. This should be a discussion about examples of this and what were the short (the season on which it happened) and long term (after one season) impacts of such a move.

For example in the 2013 season we let Wes Welker go and replaced him with Danny Amendola.

Short Term:
Wes Welker had a significant drop in yards and receptions compared to his previous year (73 rec and 778 yards) but had a career high of 10 TD in 13 games.

Danny Amendola had some lower numbers with one less game played but delivered around what he had in previous seasons (54 rec and 633 yards and 2 TD).

Long Term:
Wes continued to deteriorate from here over the next two years; one with Denver and one with St. Louis where he couldn't hang on to Denver and missed out on a ring. His brain turned to scrambled eggs with too many concussions and had to retire.

Danny had some roller coaster seasons stats wise due to injuries and his peak was always in the 600 yards range and never got close to Welker's peak season numbers however he shined in the playoffs and scored himself two Super Bowl rings in 2014 and 2016

Overall verdict: This was a smart move by the Patriots and it worked out nicely.

Feel free to add to this example or come up with your own and go crazy with details including trade value.
Great post! Yeah Wes took alot of punishment during his 5 great seasons here. He revolutionized the slot WR position. Wes had some of best footwork in the slot I've ever seen. I don't think Wes gets enough credit. Surpassing 100 plus catches each season is just impeccable.

By the time he signed with Denver yes he was on the decline. The hits had taken a toll on him.

Danny impressed me early on making clutch catches in big moments. He likely is the reason we beat the jags in 2017 AFCCG.

Injuries ultimately limited Danny from reaching his full potential as well. But he was good while he was here. Very clutch.

I'll have to do some research because I know he talked about his injury history a few years ago, but this article in 2014 mentions he was close to signing with the Pats.

Yea both sides had a play on words. I do think Bill wanted him back but lats face it. Talib wasn't exactly a stable individual and forking over $26m sure felt risky.

But both sides ended up fine. Pats won in 2014 w/ Revis. 2016 w/ Malcolm and 2018 w/ Gilly and Talib won in 2015 and had some all-pro/pro bowl years w/ DEN.

Ted to Vince.

And Ted was only here a year. Not sure that’s long enough to qualify as an upgrade candidate, or if it’s just a placeholder.
Keith Traylor replaced Washington in 2004 which many seem to overlook. Vince took over for Traylor in 2005.

But yes, Wilfork was the long term plan.

Last edited:
Keith Traylor replaced Washington in 2004 which many seem to overlook. Vince took over for Traylor in 2005.

But yes, Wilfork was the long term plan.
Wikipedia says:
In his rookie 2004 season with the Patriots, he compiled two sacks, 42 tackles, and three deflected passes. Wilfork saw considerable playing time during his rookie season, sharing the nose tackle position with veteran Keith Traylor and started Super Bowl XXXIX against the Philadelphia Eagles, a Patriots victory.
Super Bowl start in ‘04 pretty much says how he and Traylor stacked up.

Yea both sides had a play on words. I do think Bill wanted him back but lats face it. Talib wasn't exactly a stable individual and forking over $26m sure felt risky.

But both sides ended up fine. Pats won in 2014 w/ Revis. 2016 w/ Malcolm and 2018 w/ Gilly and Talib won in 2015 and had some all-pro/pro bowl years w/ DEN.
Yeah.. that was a head scratcher to me with talib... he was great In his short time here.. but just couldn't stay healthy..
He exited 2 big playoff games where we needed him most.. 2013& 2014...

Suddenly he got healthy, and had some great seasons in Denver..

Chandler Jones for Andre Carter/Mark Anderson.

Jabaal Sheard/Chris Long for Jones were decent stop gaps.
Allan branch for Vince for a while was good too... branch was absolutely force..

Light to Soldier

Neither were all pro great but were always adequate and held it together.

Izzo to Slater

Good would be not paying Revis to play Butler

Bad would be not paying Brady to play Cam/Mac

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST