PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you're getting the 4th best OT at 34.

We mere mortals would have to use a 3rd to trade up to try to get Guyton or a similar quality OT.
Yes.. Guyton is raw, - a one-year starter with only 9 starts but massive and athletic from Oklahoma. He may fall past 34 if the Patriots don't take him there. I also see the Patriots paying for a veteran OT as well.

I’m sorry…I totally lost interest in this thread when someone said Daniels was just a “slightly better version of Mac”.

That’s like saying a a cheetah is a slightly better version of a Walrus
I'd take a walrus on an ice floe against a cheetah any day.

I gave my reasons previously. I've watched his tape. His throws don't have the velocity they'd need to be successful in the NFL. I saw a lot of tossups that likely be turnovers in the big leagues, and a lot of throws to wide open guys. You keep going on about his stats, I'm just pointing out that Mac had all the gaudy stats too, and HE did it in the playoff and the championship game. Sadly, he doesn't have the arm or the mental makeup to succeed in the NFL.

You clearly haven’t watched the tape if you don’t think he has a pro arm, either that or you are right and everyone else who has watched him is wrong. And while his stats are really good, it’s his tape that shows he’s superior athlete.

Because how he produced is college, lots of deep throws and taking off if your first read is covered, won't be as efficient in the NFL.

He was typically the 1st or 2nd best athlete on the field in college, and the college game is designed to take advantage of that. The NFL, where there is a much smaller gap athletically, is more about scheme.

JD hasn't shown as much in college that will directly translate to the NFL, therefore it is more of a project on how he will fit, and the more projection needed the lower the floor is.

So he was the 1st or 2nd best athlete on the field playing in the best conference in college football, but he has really low floor? That makes absolutely no sense at all. And most of those who have evaluated him don’t agree with your take on his ability to throw to the middle of the field.

So he was the 1st or 2nd best athlete on the field playing in the best conference in college football, but he has really low floor? That makes absolutely no sense at all. And most of those who have evaluated him don’t agree with your take on his ability to throw to the middle of the field.

Yes. Its about how he was used.

Couldn’t disagree more. I give Jeremiah the most credence as a draft evaluator and he has Daniels as high floor/high ceiling. That said i would be fine with any of the top 3 QB’s, because it doesn’t matter how good a team is if they don’t have a high quality QB, and you won’t get one in free agency, and you have to give up multiple 1st rounders to move up for one if you aren’t picking this high. The only other answer to this is …….hope, and that’s not a strategy for getting anything, it’s just wishful thinking, and you can’t build a great team on wishful thinking.

If you don’t like him that’s fine, but that’s different than making a logical case against him, and you have failed at that. But then again so has everybody else.

And this is always why people scoff at analysis which sees the Patriots as drafting as well as teams ranked 8-15 in drafting. Only 3 out of 10 players drafted end up panning out. This basically means 2 or 3 players per draft. So when people say the last 4 drafts have been bad, they don't look at them the way draft analyzers are looking at them. 2020 yielded Dugger, Onwenu, Jennings and Uche. Most analyzers would label that a good draft, even if Patriots fans look at the draft and remember the misses on the TEs Asiasi and Keene in the 4th round.
Jennings played well for a year a d uche for 1.5 years . Onwenu was a stud and Dugger was stud for 2 .5 years while being above average for rest.

It's a good draft considering our history. But other winning teams have a better hit ratio.

Chiefs McDuffie looks to eb a stud and we allowed it to happen by trading for strange. We can all agree that strange is probably late 2nd round or early 3rd round talent at this point of time . No need to wear tinted glasses to overhyped him.

Gonzo got injured and we are not able to ascertain him yet. Barmore had 1 beast of a season. Bur we are yet to hit McDuffie or tee higgibs or justin Jeffersons .

We are a pretty bottom ranked team as far as drafting is considered and hopefully we reverse course this year. Last year was a decent draft . 2022 was bad. 2021 is middling. 2019 was a washout . 2020 was a decent one.

Allegedly..but if this is true, I wouldn’t mind it at all…I’d still want a tackle. Maybe sling a 3rd with a late rounder to SF & grab a tackle in the 2nd. It’ll be at 34 I believe, so it should still give us a chance at a high quality OT. This draft is supposedly deep at OL.

Last edited:
You clearly haven’t watched the tape if you don’t think he has a pro arm, either that or you are right and everyone else who has watched him is wrong. And while his stats are really good, it’s his tape that shows he’s superior athlete.
He's a fine athlete. No one disputes that. But I'm certainly not the only one who's commented on his arm.

He's a fine athlete. No one disputes that. But I'm certainly not the only one who's commented on his arm.

No one is stopping you from showing reputable draft sources who are saying Daniels doesn’t have a pro arm.

No one is stopping you from showing reputable draft sources who are saying Daniels doesn’t have a pro arm.

These are from four different places. I'm sure there are plenty who agree with you. My views are my own and I'm basing them off of MY watching him. You're free to disagree.

• Inconsistent throwing motion which hampers accuracy, timing, and power. Lacks proper lower body engagement, resulting in reduced throw power and accuracy, especially on sideline passes.
  • Faces issues connecting his throwing motion with his legs, leading to inconsistent ball placement and capped arm strength.
  • When Daniels struggles with his accuracy, it often comes within 15 yards and in. The majority of his misses in this range are because he simply does not finish on his throws, which either leaves it short or behind the intended target.
  • On timing routes like comebacks and curls, Daniels has a tendency to be a tick late by taking an extra hitch. This results in what should be an easy completion turning into either a contested catch or an incompletion.

Jayden Daniels’ main weakness is his arm strength. He has great motion, touch, and accuracy, yet he fails to deliver the ball with zip and is especially unrefined on throws against his body and outside the numbers. This affects his deep ball accuracy as there are too many passes that he throws a little behind the runner. His anticipation makes up for a lot of his arm deficiency, but with the tighter windows in the NFL, this is assuredly something he will need to adjust.

• Moderate velocity
  • '
  • Absolutely no contact balance
  • Inconsistent release sporadically leads to horrendous wobblers
  • Has “on” and “off” days regarding ball placement

Nabers is more twitchy, more yac driven (NFL is a lot yac yards thats how most get their money), forces more missed tackles, will probably play in the slot more which is an easier spot than X which Marv will most likely spend a lot of his time (Although you can move him anywhere as well). More manufactured touches. All that translates very well and he obviously passes the eye test. Crazy production. Only 20. LSU is WRU.

Honestly he's not that far behind. Neither is Odunze fwiw. All three are legitimate 1st round guys. The rest will be drafted on need, projection etc but those three are special. Chase and maybe D Smith are the only guys that would be in that group over the past few years imo. In terms of where I'll have them graded.
Harrison > Odunze > Nabers. My guess is media will start catching onto that by the time draft rolls around but I could be wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back