PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles release Takeo Spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Another possible FA LB: Takeo Spikes Cut

He tore his rotator cuff late last season, so he may not be ready for a while. Not the same game-changing player he was prior to his achilles injury, but still was a decent player with Philly. No 3-4 experience, though.

It will be interesting to see what happens with him. He probably will be looking to play for a contender, because he has never made the playoffs in his NFL career. It is something that he is very frustrated about, so he would probably be willing to take a little less to play for a contender.

I don't think it would be that bad a deal if the Pats could sign him from between 3-4 mill.

You know someone like Tampa Bay or New Orleans will offer him a lot. They seem to be scooping up every LB available.

He tore his rotator cuff late last season, so he may not be ready for a while. Not the same game-changing player he was prior to his achilles injury, but still was a decent player with Philly. No 3-4 experience, though.

It will be interesting to see what happens with him. He probably will be looking to play for a contender, because he has never made the playoffs in his NFL career. It is something that he is very frustrated about, so he would probably be willing to take a little less to play for a contender.

Linebackers play through injuries all the time. I'm sure he'll be OK. He may not have played in a 3-4 and is kinda small, but I think a lot of that doesn't matter with Belichick if you have had veteran with a good career at LB.

I think he would fit in well in our system, he is pretty good kick ass player.

You know someone like Tampa Bay or New Orleans will offer him a lot. They seem to be scooping up every LB available.

True and I don't see the Pats paying more than 4 million, hopefully he wants to come to a winning team and take a little bit of a discount to try to get a superbowl ring.

It would take some time before a rookie LB would be able to make the kind of impact Spikes would make immediately. Spikes although might be getting older, he still can play and has more experience and football IQ than any rookie LB could possibly have his first year.

I think they will take a CB high in the draft, and maybe LB 2nd or 3rd rou

nd. From what I have heard so far, the LB class this year is not that great.

Good point. Unless they trade down or trade up into late first/early second, I can't see getting a "ready now" rookie ILB. While he is a little older than one might like, he's still younger than Junior and Tedy (and the same age as Vrabel), and he has the versatility (size/strength for inside, experience at outside) to play all over the middle of the defense.

He hasn't made a splash in the "big play" categories the past few years, but I think it was a misconception to think that anyway. He only had two trememndous seasons in terms of sacks and INTs. What he is is a tough, tackling machine. The D was sorely missing someone like that at the end of the season.

Re: Takeo Spikes Cut

Sounds like a decent signing for the Patriots. A guy getting up there in age but still productive. Shouldn't be looking to break the bank either.

My only concerns about the guy is his injury history over the last few years and whether he can play ILB in the 3-4. If he is willing to take a value deal, I am all for it.

I think some folks are getting alittle too enamored with "The Names". Think young, more athletic,speedier, with some experience and some versatility.
Like whom or are you suggesting Seward or a fourth to fifth round draft pick are better options than Takeo?

Does this guy really have anything left? If so, he would be a great addition inside. The guy is massive.

Update: I just checked out his stats and he played every game. So durability shouldn't be an issue. At 32, I say give him a shot.

He's 31, not 32. He wont be 32 until next December. Spikes has had some injury problems the past three years, but still notched 86 tackles in 2007, while only playing 14 games. I don't know if it's been mentioned (I haven't read through the thread yet), but his injury in 2007 was a torn rotator cuff. That's not as serious for a LB as it would be for a QB, or players at some other positions. If he passes a physical, then I'd at least give him a shot in training camp.

Edit:

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 70 | Key
Alert: A

Comment: Spikes has put up excellent numbers most of his nine year career but was sidelined after the third game in 2005 with an Achilles tendon injury. He appeared to still have some residual affects in 2006 as he was not as explosive or productive as in past seasons. He is a physical linebacker that is a load when tackling ball carriers. He has good athleticism with quick feet, agility and speed to make plays inside out to the ball. Spikes has strong hands to jam and re-route inside receivers in coverage but is inconsistent to disengage and separate as a run defender. Spikes appears to be a solid reactor and reads blocking schemes effectively keeping leverage effectively. He has a good feel for route progression and is still effective in underneath man and zone coverage. He is tough and plays with a good motor but appears to have lost a step with his range and in coverage. Spikes is still a force that can blitz effectively and can make plays on the perimeter but may be on the down side of his career.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?statsId=4278

Last edited:

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

(please...)

There is another thread with the same topic, Mod merge these threads.

My guess is they have him on a plane to Foxboro faster than you can say TKO.

Before he went to the Eagles, he was arguably the best linebacker in the league (I'd argue yes). Despite dealing with injuries and getting a little older, he'd be no worse than a geriatric Seau and Bruschi and has experience in the AFC East and in a 3-4 scheme.

I just ordered his plane ticket from Orbitz...................It's a one way to Boston, should arrive around 2pm tomorrow

I'll never forget the opener in Buffalo 4-5 years ago when the final score was

Takeo Spikes 31 New England Patriots 0

Guy was man-child in that game.

I know it's 4 years later, but c'mon TKO can still play if healthy, I know he can, he would be tremendous next to Tedy as we wait for a Goff to get acclimated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stewart Bradley will be their new starting ILB and should have been ours. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Stewart Bradley will be their new starting ILB and should have been ours. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Stop, stop! It still hurts!!

Re: Takeo Spikes Cut (merged)

I just called a couple of buddies of mine from Philly, one who is "in the know" so to speak.

* Spikes actually played pretty well for the Eagles last year. He's not done by any stretch.

* The Eagles tried to restructure Spikes but it didn't work out. They also tried like crazy to trade him over the past few weeks.

* This was purely a cap space cut. Nothing more.

He's still a very viable NFL linebacker.

The Pats would be insane not to bring him in for a visit.

Last edited:

My 2 Eagles co-workers have indicated, while they wanted to keep Spikes, they never would have at his current salary.

They also indicate he was a liability on 3rd downs as he does not have the ability to much more than 5 yards downfield or outside the tackles. That being said, they thought he was an above average run-stopper.

I wouldn't pay more than 2 million for him.... I see him as exactly the same as Seau. If Seau or Bruschi is done (retiring), then fine, otherwise, I don't see it as an improvement.

I just called a couple of buddies of mine from Philly, one who is "in the know" so to speak.

* Spikes actually played pretty well for the Eagles last year. He's not done by any stretch.

* The Eagles tried to restructure Spikes but it didn't work out. They also tried like crazy to trade him over the past few weeks.

* This was purely a cap space cut. Nothing more.

He's still a very viable NFL linebacker.

The Pats would be insane not to bring him in for a visit.

This was my exact feeling. My only concern is his total unwillingness to restructure makes me think he is going to cost something like $3MM-4-MM a year, and not sure NE has that kind of cap space available.

like spikes but i'd really like to re-sign rosey!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes