Eagles Defensive Coordinator Fired !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconHeavy

Patriots Nation
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Eagles fire defensive coordinator Castillo - Football - Boston.com

Interesting quote in the opening paragraph...

"Consecutive blown fourth-quarter leads have cost Juan Castillo his job as the Philadelphia Eagles’ defensive coordinator."

ahem, do we know any other team that has developed this nasty habit...

BB, are you paying attention ??

Last edited:
Castillo is awful... really awful. His defense is based on his own fantasy of what would work.

I doubt you see Matt P. going anywhere soon. BB and Matt are close...some say joined at the hip. I think you see the secondary coaches going before Matt.

LOL, I guess this means BB's job is in jeopardy.

I don't recall Belichick ever firing one of his coaches in mid season....it does more harm then good in terms of messing with the team internally.

The opening statement is what caught my attention. Reid is in hot seat so he is taking drastic measures.

All we can hope is that BB knows what he is doing ( or NOT ! )

LOL, I guess this means BB's job is in jeopardy.

Honestly, it should be. The minute anyone thinks their job is not in jeopardy, we are in trouble.

If the Eagles think firing a DC is the answer to winning again,its not.

Sit the dog killer and let Foles take over....Vick absolutely sucks ass.

Last edited:
Our Secondary Coach or Clown have to be held accountable for the play of our Secondary. Can we hire Mangini back...since the Rat left our Secondary have been Terrible. Coaching is a part of the game and we have none in our Secondary. I hope BB have still have a soft spot for the Rat...didn't we win games with EarthWind&Fire Moreland paying CB??

YES LETS FIRE EVERYONE SUPERBOWL HERE WE COME!!!! good call

Honestly, it should be. The minute anyone thinks their job is not in jeopardy, we are in trouble.

Ignoring special teams, you have 4 main categories

Offense
Passing top 10
Rushing top 10

Defense
Passing bottom
Rushing top 10

So 3 out of the 4 areas are top 10 and the lowest rank is the rushing defense at #6 and you want to fire the head coach?????

For who?

Now the secondary is a complete mess and could sink this team but you don't throw out the head coach. The problem is that the secondary is probably going to be crap the entire season. A new coach won't fix this mess.

Two points:

1) This is the classic example of the Peter Principle - keep promoting someone into jobs for which they are increasingly unqualified. Castillo did a great job as the offensive line coach for 13 years. 5 NFC championship appearances and one Super Bowl.

This is like asking Dante Scarnecchia to become defensive coordinator - wait, that might work!

2) The Eagles are immolating after an increasing emotional year with Andy Reid's son's death at training camp and putting the fate of the team in the hands of Michael (The Human Turnover) Vick. Things get weird and the decision is to fire the DC. This thing is spiralling downward.

We got some problems in New England, but nothing like this.

Last edited:
All the Eagles problems are resolved. It's obvious that Castillo was the cause of Vick's turnover problems.

I don't recall Belichick ever firing one of his coaches in mid season....it does more harm then good in terms of messing with the team internally.

Maybe not, but he HAS pushed them out of the way. BB essentially taking over as DC when Mangini was here is an example.

All the Eagles problems are resolved. It's obvious that Castillo was the cause of Vick's turnover problems.

Not that I'm a fan of Castillo but this move is just plain hypocritical.

It was particularly humorous hearing Stephen A Smith blame Castillo and using statistics to prove it.... -9 in turnover margin......completing ignoring that no defense can have a positive turnover margin with Vick as your quarterback.

2 of their 3 wins came despite a whopping 6 turnovers from Vick. That usually means your defense deserves a bunch of credit.

Now the secondary is a complete mess and could sink this team but you don't throw out the head coach. The problem is that the secondary is probably going to be crap the entire season. A new coach won't fix this mess.

No, but firing the secondary coach should cannot do any further harm :rolleyes:

Considering our track record I think we would be way better off signing FA secondary players with a few years track record. Even if we overpay them slightly it would still be cheaper than paying players who suck and we cut anyways. We suck at drafting them ... it is what it is Bill remember?

Ignoring special teams, you have 4 main categories

Offense
Passing top 10
Rushing top 10

Defense
Passing bottom
Rushing top 10

So 3 out of the 4 areas are top 10 and the lowest rank is the rushing defense at #6 and you want to fire the head coach?????

For who?

That is not what I said. Everyone who has a job, be it Brady, BB, you, me, everyone, should be afraid of loosing their job. In turn, they should work their ass off to keep it. I would bet Brady probably thinks the same way.

Depends on the situation. If Castillo truly was the problem and everyone in the locker room knew it then it makes sense, but if he's just being used as a scapegoat then you're right.

1) This is the classic example of the Peter Principle - keep promoting someone into jobs for which they are increasingly unqualified. Castillo did a great job as the offensive line coach for 13 years. 5 NFC championship appearances and one Super Bowl.

And some people wonder why Dante has never sought to be a HC/OC elsewhere. . . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference