PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dre Bly on trading block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those comments sound like a guy who wants to win. He talks with the fans a lot on his message board, so he can't be that bad a guy. I don't think he's the answer if Samuel's gone, but he could certainly add some depth to the secondary.

Those comments sound like a guy who wants to win. He talks with the fans a lot on his message board, so he can't be that bad a guy. I don't think he's the answer if Samuel's gone, but he could certainly add some depth to the secondary.

If we are real honest with ourselves, we have guys who do stupid things or say dumb stuff as well. Ellis Hobbs anyone?

Let's me get this straight. He's a cover corner that can't tackle, and is poor in run support.

No, he's not right for the patriots. Corner run blitzes are part of our defense, as is leaving corners on an island and expecting them to tackle.

Last edited:
Let's me get this straight. He's a cover corner that can't tackle, and is poor in run support.

No, he's not right for the patriots. Corner run blitzes are part of our defense, as is leaving corners on an island and expecting them to tackle.

yes you are totally right. those pesky multiple year pro-bowlers are just awful. he had no right going to the pro-bowl being so bad. i am so surprised he wasn't cut after day 1 of training camp. how did he make it this long in the nfl?

Hell no!!!!!!
Dre Bly is everything wrong with todays modern athelete. Before you post that he's everything we want in a player, you really should know what you are talking about. No disrespect intended!

Hell no!!!!!!
Dre Bly is everything wrong with todays modern athelete. Before you post that he's everything we want in a player, you really should know what you are talking about. No disrespect intended!

Can you elaborate?

I think that was Dexter McCleon not Dre Bly.
I think you are correct. McCleon goes...

Patriots....over rated, Tom Brady....overrated.

Something like that on the sidelines, SITTING with Dre Bly.

no, it is much easier to toss insults around and criticise players based upon opinion and not performance.
Unfortunately for us fans the question of performance is often a matter of opinion. None of us have the resources to break down a player in comprehensive fashion, especially secondary personnel, who spend the majority of their time offscreen on TV broadcasts. So don't use the word "opinion" pejoratively. Most of the posts on this board are opinions, the difference is the degree to which our opinions are informed or not.

As a person in the Lions' home market, who gets all their games whether he wants it or not (not, by the way), I feel I have a more relevant opinion than most on this board when it comes to Lions' players. It's not the end all be all, but it's something. And this year my opinion of Dre Bly was that he was not noticeably better than Fernando Bryant in the defense this year, or Jamar Fletcher for that matter. And the year before he played with a cast and looked out of sorts, not near as good as Hobbs did for us this year. If he was fulfilling the expectations his contract demands he would simply not be on the market.

Dre Bly is a gambling cover corner, and he doesn't fit the Tampa 2 not because his ball skills are poor (they aren't) but because the man can't do run support. Tackling is anti ethical to Bly's game, and Tampa 2, along with cover 2 in general, asks the corners to set the corner on run plays because the safeties drop so deep. He also has a tendency to get burned. Asante Samuel makes plays on the ball without abandoning his zone responsibilities. Bly cheats. He cheats at a fairly high winning percentage, but in a system where responsible players like Hank Poteat, Ray Mickens and Artrell Hawkins can come off the street and perform solidly, while freelancers like Arturo Freeman get cut after two weeks time, I don't see how Bly would be on the Pats' radar.

Bly could come in and play for New England as a nickel corner, but I doubt Belichick would rent Bly at $4.2 million for a year for that role. Asante Samuel is a former safety turned corner, Eugene Wilson was a corner that turned into a safety, Chad Scott is a tweener, and Ellis Hobbs is one tough son of a *****. See a pattern there? Dre Bly does not fit that pattern. And frankly I generally like the players we select with our third round picks recently, so I say no to Bly. Instead, lets draft another Ellis Hobbs and have the man grow into the nickel like Asante and Ellis.

Unfortunately for us fans the question of performance is often a matter of opinion. None of us have the resources to break down a player in comprehensive fashion, especially secondary personnel, who spend the majority of their time offscreen on TV broadcasts. So don't use the word "opinion" pejoratively. Most of the posts on this board are opinions, the difference is the degree to which our opinions are informed or not.

As a person in the Lions' home market, who gets all their games whether he wants it or not (not, by the way), I feel I have a more relevant opinion than most on this board when it comes to Lions' players. It's not the end all be all, but it's something. And this year my opinion of Dre Bly was that he was not noticeably better than Fernando Bryant in the defense this year, or Jamar Fletcher for that matter. And the year before he played with a cast and looked out of sorts, not near as good as Hobbs did for us this year. If he was fulfilling the expectations his contract demands he would simply not be on the market.

Dre Bly is a gambling cover corner, and he doesn't fit the Tampa 2 not because his ball skills are poor (they aren't) but because the man can't do run support. Tackling is anti ethical to Bly's game, and Tampa 2, along with cover 2 in general, asks the corners to set the corner on run plays because the safeties drop so deep. He also has a tendency to get burned. Asante Samuel makes plays on the ball without abandoning his zone responsibilities. Bly cheats. He cheats at a fairly high winning percentage, but in a system where responsible players like Hank Poteat, Ray Mickens and Artrell Hawkins can come off the street and perform solidly, while freelancers like Arturo Freeman get cut after two weeks time, I don't see how Bly would be on the Pats' radar.

Bly could come in and play for New England as a nickel corner, but I doubt Belichick would rent Bly at $4.2 million for a year for that role. Asante Samuel is a former safety turned corner, Eugene Wilson was a corner that turned into a safety, Chad Scott is a tweener, and Ellis Hobbs is one tough son of a *****. See a pattern there? Dre Bly does not fit that pattern. And frankly I generally like the players we select with our third round picks recently, so I say no to Bly. Instead, lets draft another Ellis Hobbs and have the man grow into the nickel like Asante and Ellis.

I understand exactly what you mean about opinions, but there is a massive contrast between what you just posted and another poster just taking a shot at the guy by saying he is an example of everything that is wrong with the NFL. Stuff like that is uneducated and a waste of time. It contributes absolutely nothing to this board and frustrates those who want to learn more and be objective. Snipers who have no evidence or data simply suck.

As far as your opinion is concerned, not all have to agree but at least you cited the reasons why you hold your opinion. One can actually think through what you posted logically. Is that o much to ask? I understand it is easier to snipe, but it just gets annoying after a while.

As far as Bly is concerned, look at the trash posted about him in this thread. Even mods post it. He is a pro-bowl caliber player doing what he does. Instead of seeing that, people would rather whine about his weaknesses. Would he fit with the Pats? I honestly do not know. Why the heck did BB go get Starks who is the same type of player? IMO Bly is way better than Starks. You never know what BB will do.

Last edited:
What about shawn springs both safety and corner experience? I don't know much else about him besides being injured last season.

Well I guess I need to defend myself regarding the sniping comments directed at me by Digger 44.
I do not like Dre Bly as a cornerback and feel that he is way overhyped. Again just my opinion. Nothing more. Multiple probowls can be misleading. How many probowls has Warren Sapp been to and when was the last time he did anything to make you think he deserved to go? Hype and the NFL go hand in hand. Dre Bly gambles like crazy and to me that does not really fit our defencive scheme. Again, just my 2 cents and I never tried to sell it as anything more.
I've got a negative opinion of the guy because of some of the comments I've heard him make over the years, going back to his days in college. Just my opinion and nothing more.

Rich

Well I guess I need to defend myself regarding the sniping comments directed at me by Digger 44.
I do not like Dre Bly as a cornerback and feel that he is way overhyped. Again just my opinion. Nothing more. Multiple probowls can be misleading. How many probowls has Warren Sapp been to and when was the last time he did anything to make you think he deserved to go? Hype and the NFL go hand in hand. Dre Bly gambles like crazy and to me that does not really fit our defencive scheme. Again, just my 2 cents and I never tried to sell it as anything more.
I've got a negative opinion of the guy because of some of the comments I've heard him make over the years, going back to his days in college. Just my opinion and nothing more.

Rich

I wasn't trying to call you out or insult you specifically. It just gets frustrating when a few people are having a good discussion and out of nowhere an accusation is made that doesn't help anything. I am sure we are all guilty at some point.

Thank you for your above opinion, that makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft