PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't mean to hate on Dan Morgan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I mean it's great that he is back after a serious concussion, but during the game and afterward, the media made such a huge deal about him making a comeback and he didn't really do much yesterday and he had several opportunities as we ran the ball most of the time he was in there. I remember him whiffing on a tackle of Maroney and then got run over by Sammy Morris, which Len Pastabelly of ESPN described as Morgan leveling Morris. Again I don't mean to hate, but please be accurate of how he performed and don't make up stuff to validate your point.

For the record, Morgan recorded three tackles, all solo hits, or one more than he had for the entire 2006 season, before exiting the game late in the first quarter. In a Super Bowl XXXVIII loss to the Patriots that concluded the 2002 season, Morgan had a mind-boggling 25 tackles, according to the videotape-review grading system of the Carolina coaching staff. The three tackles on Friday night, though, may have been more significant.

His first contact of the evening came on the opening snap, when he was sealed off by Pats' right guard Stephen Neal on a two-yard run by Laurence Maroney off the right side. His initial misstep arrived only a snap later, when he penetrated quickly into the New England backfield, but overran the play, as Carolina end Mike Rucker stopped Maroney for no gain.

On a third-and-eight play that closed out Morgan's first series, he halted Maroney four yards shy of the first-down marker.
One other tackle in the running game was recorded when Maroney slipped on an off-tackle play to the left side, and Morgan simply tagged him down. His biggest hit of the evening came on a pass play, when he dropped into the right hash area, read the play, then came up and leveled tailback Sammy Morris after a 10-yard reception.

Somewhat unwittingly, the Patriots served as gracious partners in preparing a game plan that tested Morgan's willingness to throw his body into the fray. Seeking to provide new starting tailback Maroney with enough carries to get him ready for the Sept. 9 opener, New England ran the ball on its first nine snaps.

There was one play on which center Dan Koppen got out quickly and into Morgan's legs. Another when lead-blocking fullback Heath Evans knocked the middle linebacker on his heels. And on two occasions during the second possession, Morgan either allowed a poor first step to take him out of a play or took a bad angle to the ball and got caught up on the interior trash that accompanies most running plays.

Never, though, did Morgan look like a guy with one foot out the door and headed into retirement.

"I didn't hesitate tonight," Morgan said. "And I'm not going to. That's not me."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/colum...li_len&id=2990776&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2

Re: Don't mean to hate on Dan Morgan ...

Even better, the little picture on the front page flash scroll for Pastabelly's story shows Morgan getting trucked by Morris on the very same hit. ESPN's steadfast refusal to acknowledge reality lately has really turned me off them (even though I never cared much for their brand of sports reporting anyway)...

Even better, the little picture on the front page flash scroll for Pastabelly's story shows Morgan getting trucked by Morris on the very same hit. ESPN's steadfast refusal to acknowledge reality lately has really turned me off them (even though I never cared much for their brand of sports reporting anyway)...

Do you mean this picture?

59796b4d-6ea0-4ded-a94a-6d0ba5fe2ac6.jpg

or how about this one where Maroney is running right past him...

7bec8f1d-28dc-49df-b3ea-8bc2020df34f.jpg

Good luck to him though, its nice to see any player making a comeback.

anyway good luck to him ; a nice comeback for sure

all the best to Dan Morgan

Do you mean this picture?

59796b4d-6ea0-4ded-a94a-6d0ba5fe2ac6.jpg

or how about this one where Maroney is running right past him...

7bec8f1d-28dc-49df-b3ea-8bc2020df34f.jpg

Good luck to him though, its nice to see any player making a comeback.
Yeah that's not quite what you'd describe as "leveling".

But at any rate its good to see him back and doing well.

The only question is Why?? He is young, and putting himself at this much risk borders on stupid... understand passion, but do not understand chasing butterflies at age 40.

I would not put much into his first game back

Did we expect Tedy to have 3 sacks and 2 interceptions in his first game back after the stroke? - I didn't

The only question is Why?? He is young, and putting himself at this much risk borders on stupid... understand passion, but do not understand chasing butterflies at age 40.

Yah, the multiple concussion brain damage research data should make him reconsider. It's not like he woudn't have any reputation to exploit afterwards. He shoulda already made more money than 98% of the folks here.

I thought that he played a decent game. He made some nice plays against the run near the LOS.

But you are absolutely correct about that "leveling" comment. That was one of his worst. He actually met Morris at the 6 yard mark and two yards before the FD line. He got dragged for two yards and rolled over for two more. Not sure why anyone would point that play out when there were plenty of other decent ones.

He has been a big star in SC for years and this is a big comeback for them and nationally. I think we and any fan of the NFL owes Morgan the benefit of getting into the regular season before we judge how succesful his comeback will be.

now if you want to make fun of espn feel free...

There is a good possiblity that Morgan is using a new mouth guard by that doctor in MA. If he's not, then I agree that its pretty stupid of him to continue playing. If he is using that new mouth guard, then I don't think its stupid of him at all.

Dan Morgan is someone that I wanted the Pats to draft as an eventual replacement for Bruschi. Morgan is that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST