Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/
May 8th, 2007
Davis returns as coach
Posted by John Tomase at 2:44 pm

Former special teams standout Don Davis, who retired at age 34 following a knee injury last year, has been added to the Patriots staff as a strength coach. Though he doesn’t yet have an exact title, he’s been working with Mike Woicik and Co. as the Pats run through their offseason conditioning program. Cornerback Ellis Hobbs today praised the entire staff for keeping him strong and in shape while he recovers from offseason wrist surgery.

Davis brings an interesting approach to the job. Just as the 49ers did back in the day, he’s been boxing with players like Tom Brady and Matt Cassel to improve their hand speed, holding small pads like Teddy Atlas.

This isn't a big surprise, but I'm very pleased to hear it.

DD is a strong personality -- very different from BB -- who may be a good influence on some of the younger guys (as well as being certain to take his professional responsibilities very seriously).

Cool. Good for Don. Glad he's continuing with our organization in some capacity. This guy contributed to our special teams without seeking much glory. The boxing training to increase hand speed sounds like a fun idea actually. :D

This is good news! After hearing about Don's interest last year in the Strength and Conditioning area, I was hoping that he might tag on to the Pat's staff. Welcome back Don!!!

Cool. Good for Don. Glad he's continuing with our organization in some capacity. This guy contributed to our special teams without seeking much glory. The boxing training to increase hand speed sounds like a fun idea actually. :D
Yep, except we'll have to hear from the Jesters that we are copying them now :bricks:

Yep, except we'll have to hear from the Jesters that we are copying them now

No.... They will try to steal DD from us

Good for him. In Rodney's interview he mentioned Davis as a really high character guy and a leader.

That is great.

It had been one of those smaller items on the wish list.

Next up: Troy becoming an asst. WR coach
where he can keep in synch ... do some commercials ... practice as an instructional DB against those 10 or 11 catchers
... and be ready to be activated late in the season if injuries inundate the WRs ... or the DBs! ... again.

I kind of thought that was going to happen and..GLAD that it is..GREAT news!!

what happened to O T I S? He was on the staff last year, and this year there's no sign of him. Did he opt out, or did he get let go?

what happened to O T I S? He was on the staff last year, and this year there's no sign of him. Did he opt out, or did he get let go?

I think he's still with the team. He's a defensive backs coach.

This isn't a big surprise, but I'm very pleased to hear it.

DD is a strong personality -- very different from BB -- who may be a good influence on some of the younger guys (as well as being certain to take his professional responsibilities very seriously).

His strong personality could be a huge plus this year.
Great news on his return! I'm glad for him and I like what he brings.

:woohoo: Welcome back Don! Kick their butts!

Great news! From what I've read, DD is a top notch person.

I love to see stuff like this.

I just like this in terms of morale, karma, a "reverse Ted Johnson" if you will. Any time the Patriots organization can be seen as a welcoming place, a family, a club that treats its players well, even after they've ceased to become "useful" on the field - that's always a good thing, however slight.

Last edited:
I just like this in terms of morale, karma, a "reverse Ted Johnson" if you will. Any time the Patriots organization can be seen as a welcoming place, a family, a club that treats its players well, even after they've ceased to become "useful" on the field - that's always a good thing, however slight.

Spot on,and maybe not so "slight" given the beating their image has taken over the last year or so.

Spot on,and maybe not so "slight" given the beating their image has taken over the last year or so.

It doesn't seem to have affected their ability to get free agents, though.

I've always liked Don Davis Davis as a player and a person. This is the highlight of my night after a crappy day at work. He deserves this.

It doesn't seem to have affected their ability to get free agents, though.

Or get anybody else,apparently lol. It's still a good quality to promote though.

Don is highly religious and is a very good guy, so it's nice to know NE will be keeping him around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes