PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think Belichick would ever purposefully lose if it helped the team??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn. :(

Seriously, I've got no idea... but MY assessment was that this team was far too hurt and inconsistent to go deep in the playoffs BEFORE Wes Welker was hurt... and when that happened the chances of another Lombardi went from slim to none.

If Belichick made the same assessment, why would he purposefully become one of the Final 8 and constrain his ability to rebuild the team?

There is simply zero possibility of that IMO. You are a playoff team. A team more talented than the 2001 team that did win it all, with no team out there as good as the 2001 Rams.
The Colts were almost undefeated and we had them beaten but for a bad spot/bad decision depending on your take.
Belichick was CONSUMED with finding a way to gameplan this team to a champinship, not sitting around trying to convince himself it was hopeless and lose for some ulterior reason.
I have absolutely no doubt BB believed he had put together a game plan to beat Baltimore, then would have felt he had one to beat SD, etc, etc.

I also do not believe the 05 conspiracy theory, because the attitude BB builds in his team is not one that says 'lets lose so we can avoid having to play the Steelers' especially as 2 time defending champs. You are saying the 2 time defending champs had a thought process that included fearing an opponent? Competitors just dont think that way.

I wonder how many coaches think this way...

Well, I am a coach and I can assure you I have NEVER, I repeat NEVER, thought this way. Now, I have had thoughts of how losing a game may benefit my team more in the long run, however, in the end you go and give it you best shot. You work, practice, prepare for every opponent to WIN not lose. I can see how you might think that he intentionally lost but maybe I just choose not to believe it. Plus, if this is your intention, do you just coach to lose or do you let your players in on it? It seem like at the very least some key players would need to know. How do you get them to buy into that plan? That's a tough one.

I actually don't like the fact that its better to lose at the end of the year for certain teams. I think they should do it the opposite way. Of all the teams that don't make the playoffs, the one with the best record gets the 1st draft pick, and so on. And then do it the normal way for the playoff teams. That way there is always something to play for.

It's a strange question I know, but as I'm reflecting on the benefits of watching a team that, like it or not, needs some rebuilding, and is not among the Final 8, and therefore not constrained in free agency, while benefitting from the fact that other teams are, I can't help but wonder....

Hypothetically speaking - if you were the coach of a team that had just lost it's true go to WR, and had a QB who was injured in all sorts of nagging ways, and had holes at various defensive positions that you knew were going to need to be addressed in free agency...

... and you knew that given all that this team had a VERY small chance of winning the Super Bowl, and that going further would significantly constrain your ability to address the many holes, including Wes Welker *cough* I mean the hypothetical WR spot... wouldn't it enter your mind that all things considered, losing might not be such a bad thing in the long run?

I'm not saying that's what happened. There's definately a school of thought that once you make the playoffs you give it everything you have, never knowing what might happen... but still, when has the Final 8 Rule ever been a factor to consider before?

But forget about this year's playoffs for a second... am I alone in my suspicions about that Miami game - was it the 2005 Season? The Pats had Cassell in for Brady and Flutie did his drop kick... and a Cassell TD throw that would have altered the playoff picture (setting them up to play Pittsburgh if it was caught) was badly thrown....

Seems to me that was a no brainer to tell Cassell to make sure he didn't complete the pass if it gave the Pats a better matchup in the playoffs.

So if you think Belichick would lose a game to foster better positioning in the playoffs, is it really a major stretch to consider that he might consider losing a game to foster better positioning in the comming season or seasons. Especially if one knows that a win constrains him from improving the team while a loss opens the door to more free agents with less competition in an uncapped year - and that his current team wasn't going to win the SB this season anyways.

As wacky as it sounds I think it does bear some consideration, as it's all part of that big violent chess game that is the NFL.

No doubt about it that he would do it. He has done it in the past (Matt Cassell vs Miami)

I don't look at a manuever like this as losing. I look at it as a strategic maneuver in the short run in hopes of improving your chances in the big picture. Nothing wrong with this at all.

No doubt about it that he would do it. He has done it in the past (Matt Cassell vs Miami)

I don't look at a manuever like this as losing. I look at it as a strategic maneuver in the short run in hopes of improving your chances in the big picture. Nothing wrong with this at all.

The only "maneuvering" for Cassel vs Miami was avoiding OT in a meaningless game.

The answer is no.

What makes BB so great is the way he just moves on after a loss to the next game. Its always all about winning the next game. There is no way he would contemplate losing a game while we are in contention.

We were four wins from a Superbowl this year, thats the target for BB every year, there is no way he would purposefully lose that game.

Last edited:
umm. Any coach would do whatever is legal, ethical and moral to help his/her team.

umm. Any coach would do whatever is legal, ethical and moral to help his/her team.

Maybe the question is would he do something unethical to help his team?

I will ALWAYS recognize the season finale in 2005 to be thrown.

Who goes for a DROP KICK?

An extra point kick by a field goal kicker has got to have like a 99% chance of success.

A dropkick extra point by the backup quarterback I would say has a 25% chance of success (if that).

Both methods get the SAME amount of points (or point).

You tell me which is the best play if you are trying to win a game (in which every pointed counted).

I will ALWAYS recognize the season finale in 2005 to be thrown.

Who goes for a DROP KICK?

An extra point kick by a field goal kicker has got to have like a 99% chance of success.

A dropkick extra point by the backup quarterback I would say has a 25% chance of success (if that).

Both methods get the SAME amount of points (or point).

You tell me which is the best play if you are trying to win a game (in which every pointed counted).

He made the drop kick, it was Doug Flutie, and it was for historic reasons. WTF kind of argument is this. There's a difference between understanding the game is meaningless and deliberately trying to lose.

2005 BTW was not "thrown". They did avoid OT like any sane coach would in a meaningless game, but that is not the same thing.

He made the drop kick, it was Doug Flutie, and it was for historic reasons. WTF kind of argument is this. There's a difference between understanding the game is meaningless and deliberately trying to lose.

2005 BTW was not "thrown". They did avoid OT like any sane coach would in a meaningless game, but that is not the same thing.

Yeah it wasn't going to make or break the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes