PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dillon seeks a new job -- Agent: RB done with Pats, not for good

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard the Ravens are thinking of cutting Jamal Lewis.

After two sub-par years, the general consensus seems to be that he's pretty much done... only the guy is 27. I have to imagine there's still some juice left in his tank, and would love to see the Pats go after him in FA to pair up w/ Maroney.

Worst case, he's a reliable short yardage, power back change of pace to LoMo, like Dillon would have been this year -- and there's always the possibility that he has a resurgent year, and we've got a great two-headed attack.

Re: The Colts troll's:) take on Dillon's cap hit

Bottom line -
He will cost the Pats $3,517,500 as a dead money hit. I do not think that the Pats will be on the hook for the option bonus which would increase the number. I do not think that the Pats will go after Dillon's signing bonus money which would decrease the number.

If the agent says they have agreed to release him on March 2, doesn't that likely indicate the option bonus was the issue and they still had to pay it in increased salary for 2007 if they didn't pick it up (as in the guarantee language remained)? Otherwise they could simply not pick it up and wait him out at $2.5M salary until June-July even August. That would pretty much nix his signing elsewhere for more options. It's not like we need the space to get under the cap, so this sounds like a release predicated on not landing on the hook for a $5.5M guaranteed season. And a player/agent unwilling to defer that option further and play for $2.5M...

Last edited:
I've heard the Ravens are thinking of cutting Jamal Lewis.

After two sub-par years, the general consensus seems to be that he's pretty much done... only the guy is 27. I have to imagine there's still some juice left in his tank, and would love to see the Pats go after him in FA to pair up w/ Maroney.

Worst case, he's a reliable short yardage, power back change of pace to LoMo, like Dillon would have been this year -- and there's always the possibility that he has a resurgent year, and we've got a great two-headed attack.

Somehow I just don't see a player with his resume ever getting signed here (at least while Myra is still kicking...). I think it gauled them to sign Saurbraun short term under duress, and he hasn't done any jail time yet.

I have Dillon's cap number as 4,429,220
$2,500,000 salary
$600,000 proration of the 2005 signing bonus
$750,000 proration of an option bonus
$572,500 proration of a 2006 signing bonus
$6,720 option bonus.

There is a total of $1.8 million of unamortized proration of the 2005 signing bonus.There is a total of $1,717,500 of unamortized proration of the 2006 signing bonus. That is a total of $3,517,500.

It seems safe to say that the Pats are not going to be on the hook for the unamortized proration of the option bonus.

The contract didn't make sense at the time and it doesn't make sense now. This was not one of the better contracts the Patriots have ever done.

1)I am not too smartly with this stuff but tell me if this right:
a) if we release him now (before March 1) it will cost $3.5 M against the 2007 cap but there will be no money on the books in 2008
b) if we keep him on the roster for 2007 we pay a $4.5M cap hit (assuming he reports)

2) Any impact to releasing him after March 1?
3) What happens if he is released after June 1?

What would you do? and what do you think the Patriots will do?

Jus my opinion but with my limited knowledge this seems like a ploy. I would not release him.

The contract didn't make sense at the time and it doesn't make sense now. This was not one of the better contracts the Patriots have ever done.

a) if we release him now (before March 1) it will cost $3.5 M against the 2007 cap but there will be no money on the books in 2008
b) if we keep him on the roster for 2007 we pay a $4.5M cap hit (assuming he reports)

Jus my opinion but with my limited knowledge this seems like a ploy. I would not release him.

Here are the salient portions of the Dillon deal as we know it from Miguel's site:

"April 13, 2005 update Adamjt13 reported that "Dillon got a $3 million renegotiation bonus, so his cap number for this year was lowered to $2,151,160. Next year, along with his $3 million salary, he has a $3 million option bonus. If the option isn't exercised, his salary goes to $6 million and is guaranteed. He has no other bonuses later in the contract. No word yet on any incentives." Here's how I come up with the $2,151,160. Salary - $1,000,000; Old Signing Bonus Proration $545,000; New Signing Bonus Proration $600,000; Workout Bonus money - $6,160.
March 23, 2006 - Noticed that Dillon's 2006 salary changed on the NFLPA.org website. It used to be listed as $3,000,000. It is now listed as $710,000. If we presume that the difference (2,290,000) was converted into a signing bonus, then the Pats saved $1,717,500 this year while adding $572,500 to his cap hits in 2007,2008, and 2009.
April 30, 2006 - Ron Borges of the Boston Globe reported that Dillon "is due a $3 million option bonus and $2.5 million in salary in 2007".
July 23, 2006 - Upon further research it now appears to me that in exchange for getting the $2.29 million upfront Dillon agreed to defer the $3 million option bonus to 2007. I do not know if the 2007 option bonus was protected with a non-exercise guarantee clause as was the 2006 option bonus but I doubt that it was.
December 17, 2006 Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe reported that "Dillon's contract expires after the 2009 season, although with a $4.42 million hit on the '07 salary cap, he could be a candidate for restructuring."

I have a feeling Miguel's assumption that the non-exercise guarantee clause was removed when Dillon deferred the $3M option to 2007 may not have been correct. Although it could be a simple as Corey saying I'm not playing again for $2.5M, I won't cooperate with a restructure to lower my cap hit that doesn't pay me more than $2.5M, so the team said OK you are good to go rather than 'cause themselves a distraction and potential locker room disruption. It could also be that in exchange for removing the non-exercise guarantee language when they deferred the option they agreed to release him on request if they did not exercise the option in 2007.

It could be a lot of things, including BB simply feels Corey was right when he uttered the words "I'm done" following the AFCC, but unless his agent is lying they have already agreed to release him. I think the confusion has arisen mostly because Corey sounds like a man anticipating retirement as a result, while his agent prefers to hold that thought in this cap flush market. Feldman just lost between $75-165,000 in commission income. If somebody else offers Corey say a 2 year deal for $6M plus some incentives with $2M in signing bonus and $2.0M in salary, (a $3M cap hit), and $4M motivates Corey to strap 'em on one more time, Feldman stands to recoup $120,000 in commission.

http://patscap.com/capfootnotes.html#dillon

In the case of 1b, we will also have a nearly $4M cap hit at the start of the 2008 season if we cut him then. That's a difference (4.5+4-3.5) of $5M for one season, way too steep (although we do get the option value of seeing if he improves during 2007 and still having the contract).

If we are going to release him this year, then it has to be before the option bonus is due (whenever that is) because otherwise were paying $2.25M(?) for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes