PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did the defense in 2014 underachieve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, anyone wanna one-up the question, and dare to ask if Revis underperformed in 2014?

Before you start throwing objects at me, just take a glimpse at this article by Sam "Brady's not Top 5, oops, never mind" Monson.

I don't have an opinion, but would be glad to see whether or not you guys agree

By the way, anyone wanna one-up the question, and dare to ask if Revis underperformed in 2014?

Before you start throwing objects at me, just take a glimpse at this article by Sam "Brady's not Top 5, oops, never mind" Monson.

It natural he won't be like 09 Revis, but it's not unexpected to see the start of a decline, it matters once he hits the steep part of the slope, whether that's 2015 or 2019, we'll have to see

I wouldn't say they underachieved. I think people are just forgetting how good that 2013 defense was.

It wasn't like Revis and Browner joined the 2011 Patriots. That 2013 defense was really good too, and history may have looked quite different if Welker hadn't taken out Talib in the play-offs.

Several people have mentioned the running woes this year, but we actually were significantly improved from last season, even moreso than the passing game.

For example, here are the differences in the numbers between the two seasons.

Stat: 2013/2014

Points Allowed: 338 (21.1 per game, 10th)/313 (19.6 per game, 8th)
Passing yards allowed: 3,824/3,837
Adjusted Passing YPA: 6.0/6.2
TDs allowed: 25/24
INTs: 17/16
Rushing yards allowed: 2,145/1,669
Rushing YPA: 4.5/4.0
Total yards allowed: 5,969/5,506

I think people remember the early problems in the run game, and some of those re-appeared during the play-offs. But overall, it wasn't great, wasn't bad, and we were ranked 12th in the league in run D. The attempts to run went down dramatically too, from 481 to 419.

The passing stats are eerily similar actually, and improved from our 2011/2012 seasons (although 2012 started to get better after the Talib deal).

And as others have mentioned, like most BB teams, they got better as the season progressed. Browner came back, Hightower adjusted to life without Mayo, Collins grew into his role, Chung re-established himself, Siliga got healthy, and we brought on Ayers and Branch.

There were improvements in certain areas, no doubt. 3rd down defense was better (42.2 to 40.2). And there will never be enough sacks to appease people, but the pass rush was effective enough to bother passes, if not always get home.

And FWIW, we finished tied for 13th in sacks in 2014, one sack away from tied for 9th. Only 1 of the top 7 teams in sacks made the play-offs (Baltimore), while 5 others were in that 8-13 range with us. So it's an important thing, but not THE most important thing. Due to our system and 2-gapping, we're not going to generate the most sacks, but we did quite well in that area in 2014.

So no, I don't think our defense underachieved. I think it continued to improve, a trend that started in 2012. And I think some expectations were just too unrealistic.

I had been complaining for quite some time about the lack of a running game and how they gave up on it too often. Glad to see that they came to their senses. ;)

Of course they underachieved. Harmon could have stuck around and knocked the ball away on the Kearse catch instead of jumping over him.

And what was Butler thinking after the pick when he dropped with the ball on the 1 yard line? He could have taken the ball a little closer to the 5 and avoided some anxious moments.

All kidding aside, the Pats defense did just fine by me in 2014. They made the play at the end this time. That's the only difference I see between the 2014 defense and some of our losing ones.

The Pats have actually looked good on defense under Belichick, with only a few exceptions. As much as I appreciate the benefits of Tommy LomBrady, the defense has saved our bacon a few times too, and always seems to be getting better.

they were not good vs the run inconsistent pass rush still had big holes at DB and LB coverage but with a offense that scored 30 a game and a pro bowler at ever level on defense they were good a nuff to get by but IMO they were far from a good defense

They were historically good with in game adjustments (especially in the fourth quarter) and had the second best run d in the second half of the season. Saying they're far from a good defense is just ignorant. They held the packers to 3 points after halftime for Christ sakes.

The more I see this thread title after we won a Super Bowl the harder I bang my head on the desk.

They were historically good with in game adjustments (especially in the fourth quarter) and had the second best run d in the second half of the season. Saying they're far from a good defense is just ignorant. They held the packers to 3 points after halftime for Christ sakes.

the run defense got better cause the they were winning games by a average of two TD's as we seen in the playoffs the team could be run on. they were great with in game adjustments and we have watched the pats go to three AFCCG's in a row with a historically bad defense so with great play by the offense and great coaching they were able cover up the holes on defense. as a team they were the best in the NFL but I stand by my comment they were a average at best defense

the run defense got better cause the they were winning games by a average of two TD's

That argument only works for total rushing yards. Not yards per attempt. How about we look at their second half of the season using Defensive Rushing Yards Per Attempt Allowed:

vs. Broncos - 17 rushes for 43 yards = 2.53 y/a.
vs. Lions - 25 rushes for 91 yards = 3.64 y/a.
vs. Packers - 29 rushes for 130 yards = 4.48 y/a.
vs. Chargers - 17 rushes for 53 yards = 3.12 y/a.
vs. Dolphins - 23 rushes for 76 yards = 3.30 y/a.
vs. Jets - 32 rushes for 116 yards = 3.63 y/a.
vs. Bills - 33 rushes for 104 yards = 3.15 y/a.

In the second half of the season the Patriots run defense only allowed one game with at least 4 y/a. Their total was 176 attempts for 613 yards = 3.48 y/a.

The facts say you're wrong and the run defense was amazing in the second half of the season.

as we seen in the playoffs the team could be run on.
Three game sample size vs eight game sample size hmmm.
they were great with in game adjustments and we have watched the pats go to three AFCCG's in a row with a historically bad defense so with great play by the offense and great coaching they were able cover up the holes on defense. as a team they were the best in the NFL but I stand by my comment they were a average at best defense

My God none of those defenses were a historically bad defense. A historically bad defense are the 2008 Lions defense. Not the 2011-2013 defenses. It's clear you're clueless about the subject we're discussing.

the run defense got better cause the they were winning games by a average of two TD's as we seen in the playoffs the team could be run on.

They dominated Indy despite only leading by 4 points at half-time. They shut down Lacey after a rough first drive. They were trailing to SD for more time than they held an advantage. Miami only ran for 3.3 ypc in the second game even though they only trailed by one at half-time.

If NE's only improvement was yards per game, your point would be more prudent, but that wasn't the case. NE's defensive ypc and rushing DVOA both climbed the ranks as well, suggesting legitimate improvement.

I'd also contest the playoffs poking holes argument as well. NE held Baltimore to 3.5 ypc in the second half, which was nearly 2 full ypc below their season average. They did this despite only holding a lead for a few minutes. It's also well documented how much trouble Bill's defense - even the good ones - has with the Shanahan/Kubiak offense. I don't see how holding Seattle to ~4ypc and making three key stops is problematic either.

Last edited:
The Pat's defense last year were the best at halftime adjustments in the league by far.

In addition to the adjustments the team was very complimentary; some times the offense would take the lead, sometimes defense and special teams also contributed.

I am a big time believer in Mojo or other non-quantitative factors. This may have been the first year in a while that Brady felt he didn't have to carry the entire team on his shoulders. As things worked he played loose and let it fly, in years past it looked like he tightened up. Likely thinking that he had to be perfect for the team to win.

So maybe the playoffs weren't great for the defense but as a team all goals were met.

Say it with me "Tom Brady = Legend!"

Ya know I already disparaged this thread but:

What achievement could the defense have earned that they did not this year? They won the Super Bowl, the biggest game at the highest level of performance, on a DEFENSIVE play! They climbed the mountain and there was no next step to take because they made it to the top. Underachieved? In what way that matters could they possibly have underachieved?

Some day soon BB will be gone and so will TB12, then we can kvetch about the FO sucking or the D allowing an unseemly amount of points or whatever. Until then I view this type of thread as just trolling.

This defense improved throughout the year, especially beginning a couple of weeks after Browner returned. In the second half of the season they looked like a top 5 defense. The second half adjustments and timely defensive stops were excellent. You could see them learning to play together and make the kind of in game adjustments that were routine in the early 2000s. If they had kep the secondary intact next year they would have been scary good. They were clearly heading in that direction.

The D was excellent.

Consider these exact same individuals playing at another point earlier this century. Let Browner and Chung hit like that Ravens' team was allowed to within those rules. Allow the push rushers to take down (or even touch) the QBs. Revis and McCourty - let them touch and interfere with WRs...

(1) They won the SB (2) There was always a feeling "they could get it done" (3) Shutdowns in the second halves (4) Crazy rules greatly benefitting the offense (5) Renewed emphasis on pass interference. Yet despite these challenges, they stopped the Ravens and Colts (handily) and Seahawks in three high pressure games.

I loved this D and I might miss it this fall (especially in the first half of the season if there are adjustments to be made).

Post KC - they struggled a couple of time vs the Jets at home, at GB, and Baltimore but unless your expectations were dominance on a weekly basis I'm not sure how you could have complaints about the defense.

Those gifs give me chills.

Revis didn't underperform in 2014 - even the PFF article doesn't attempt to make that case. They are just trying to be ahead of the game by predicting his decline. Time will tell if that decline is near but the evidence they sighted of a few plays here and there over a 19 game sample was pretty weak.

The D was excellent.

Consider these exact same individuals playing at another point earlier this century. Let Browner and Chung hit like that Ravens' team was allowed to within those rules. Allow the push rushers to take down (or even touch) the QBs. Revis and McCourty - let them touch and interfere with WRs...

(1) They won the SB (2) There was always a feeling "they could get it done" (3) Shutdowns in the second halves (4) Crazy rules greatly benefitting the offense (5) Renewed emphasis on pass interference. Yet despite these challenges, they stopped the Ravens and Colts (handily) and Seahawks in three high pressure games.

I loved this D and I might miss it this fall (especially in the first half of the season if there are adjustments to be made).

Thank you for being positive. I agree completely! Of course, we all know that there were close-calls, but you're absolutely right, the defense was (for the most part) pretty solid and reliable. I will miss Wilfork.

Defensive highlight of the season (Immaculate Interception aside): "Air" Vince in the game against Jets, jumping high to deflect a field goal kick. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes