PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty on Jamie Collins Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
This quote almost reminds me of Brady's quote when Milloy was traded. I can't find that quote but it sounds really similar. Hopefully the result is the same...

“Jamie is arguably our best defensive player,” McCourty told CSNNE.com. “When you get a guy like Jamie who was here for four years on the team, a very productive player, to lose him is a bit shocking to everybody on the team.”
We've all watched the defense this year - maybe a shock to the system is what they need.

Well McC it's shocking for everyone not on the team as well. If the team doesn't know what BB is up to, can't help but chuckle at our forum brethren that think they do!

Players rarely will bash each other once they're traded. It happens but it is rare.
If the reports are true (certainly reports are not an established fact) of JC freelancing causing busted defenses and arguing with coaches, I'd be willing to bet DM is not unhappy JC is gone. He just isn't likely to say it.

Everyone take a chill pill. As of game 8 of the 2016 season Collins was clearly not our best defensive player. I'd argue, based on what I have seen, he wasn't even a critical 2016 component.

Overall this year the defense has been pretty good. Complimenting the offense it has been more than sufficient. But the D has not been what I would call potent. Seemingly solid one quarter then soft next quarter. Let's see what happens with JC gone. BB and staff don't make this move unless they have a plan. Let's see if their plan is a good one or stinks...

This quote almost reminds me of Brady's quote when Milloy was traded. I can't find that quote but it sounds really similar. Hopefully the result is the same...
I'm glad it's the bye week, and I'm sure it's no coincidence. This is going to take the wind out of their sales at first...then, if they're tough, they'll come back stronger. Ewing theory and all that.

McCourty should know bb the gm. Lol. Nothing surprises me with this guy. He has won alot of games and sometimes that arrogance comes along with it. He's an old school guy.

While a number of players are probably upset with the news, if there is one team that overcomes these kind of things it is the Patriots.

Maybe it will be a good thing to have departed with Collins but it is hard to know if we'll get the full story.

If he was underperforming (which he was) and potentially setting a poor example to younger guys in the locker room this year...I can probably get why they pushed him out the door to Cleveland. Still a tough pill to swallow.

While a number of players are probably upset with the news, if there is one team that overcomes these kind of things it is the Patriots.

Maybe it will be a good thing to have departed with Collins but it is hard to know if we'll get the full story.

If he was underperforming (which he was) and potentially setting a poor example to younger guys in the locker room this year...I can probably get why they pushed him out the door to Cleveland. Still a tough pill to swallow.

Heck even brady might be a little shocked.

Feels like a big downer right now. Which is another reason to feel spoiled, we just won big, we are 7 and 1, and we "should" get another ring this year. (Yes I am already saying it, you won't get a shot as good as this year to get ring 5..... Last year was up there too) We should get it this year, its lining up. So that is partly why this move upsets me, especially if it upset the team. But heck in 03 they went on a hell of a run after the Milloy thing.

EDIT: The players are professional though. They just need to put their eyes on the prize and go all out, get home field. I just don't see them getting stopped.

Heck even brady might be a little shocked.

You work with a group of people for two years. One day one of them is suddenly gone from the workplace you see every day is now gone forever. It is human nature to initially be shocked or ill at ease that this person will never be part of the landscape again.
Lawyer Milloy teaches us a valuable lesson: One's apparent value to the team, to the play on the field, to the lockerroom is never as certain as it may seem. Whether JC fits that Lawyer Milloy situation is ????

For the young people on the board, the shock of losing JC is NOTHING! compared to the Armageddon from trading Lawyer Milloy. He was our "superstar" SS back in the semi-beginning days of the BB/TB regime. To make it even worse the Patriots came out of the trade by getting demolished by the team Lawyer was traded to. We got demolished in a way you rarely see the Patriots get demolished (go back to 2 years ago KC game). I forget how that Lawyer Milloy trade season ultimately ended up but it gives me a sense that things can sometimes turn out ok :).

I'm glad it's the bye week, and I'm sure it's no coincidence. This is going to take the wind out of their sales at first...then, if they're tough, they'll come back stronger. Ewing theory and all that.

Well, tomorrow is the trade deadline, so it had to happen by tomorrow if it was gonna happen, bye week or no bye week.

But yeah, I'm glad the team will have an extra week to process it and get over it.

defense is struggling, get rid of a great player

puzzling to say the least but in BB i trust!!!

We just lost an employee (let go) that was one of the few that had been at the new office the longest. I just started here in January. To me it was no surprise. You could clearly see the interaction with management had deteriorated. On top of that people talk. I just can't imagine how this could have been such a shock to leaders in the D like McCourty. If true, shows how close to the vest BB plays things.

“Jamie is arguably our best defensive player,” McCourty told CSNNE.com. “When you get a guy like Jamie who was here for four years on the team, a very productive player, to lose him is a bit shocking to everybody on the team.”

mod edit: link -> Devin McCourty: Jamie Collins was arguably our best defensive player
If Collins being traded means the Pats can prioritize Bennett this offseason, I'm 100% behind that move. Having a phenomenal offense is rare in the NFL these days. If our defense is average to pretty good as a complement to that offense, we can win (so long as we aren't one-dimensional and can off-set good pash rushing teams with a running game).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes