PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Draft Prospects

Snooky97

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
All,

A lot like my previous thread with the Offensive, but heres the Defensive side of things!

????????

Just somewhere if people wanted to do a more in depth analysis of a prospect they can put it in here, was just another idea

I like this thread. For the most part of this season reuben foster has been my favorite defensive prospect. But ive been recently watching tape of Solomon thomas and i think hes slowly changing my mind. I love this guys game he reminds me a little of jj watt. I dont know who i give the edge between foster and thomas but i like both players a great deal.

There are a ton of good defensive players this draft. Foster is the best prospect for this team that could fall to 12 or in trade up range from there (assuming we get that pick).

There is still some disagreement over DEs and CBs for who are the best players and I think that continues. So I would rather wait on who falls there.

I keep seeing Peppers get mocked to us at 32. What the hell would Belichick do with him? The kid is athletically talented but he never found a "true" position in college.

There are a ton of good defensive players this draft. Foster is the best prospect for this team that could fall to 12 or in trade up range from there (assuming we get that pick).

There is still some disagreement over DEs and CBs for who are the best players and I think that continues. So I would rather wait on who falls there.

I am sure I am all alone on this, but I am wondering if they would draft Foster if he was there for them. His playing weight is going to be a huge question mark for me. It isn't as if he can't carry the weight, since he played at 235 as a Junior, but really didn't move nearly as well at that weight. Now, he's coming in to the league with shoulder surgery and a a few concussions.

I think he's incredibly explosive and mean as they come, but there are just enough question marks that lead me to believe he wouldn't be the ideal Pats pick, especially with a top end draft position.

And for the record, I am also out on Davis for the same reasons.

Cunningham might be able to add some weight still, but I really don't like the linebacking group at the front end of this draft.

Reddick I liked as a 2nd-3rd rounder as a piece you could move around, but he has enough red flags and inexperience inside to give me reason for pause.

McMillan and Beckwith look closer to linebacker size that the Pats would like, although unless Hightower is gone, neither of their games really translate to our system.

Rueben foster or derreck barnett.

I am sure I am all alone on this, but I am wondering if they would draft Foster if he was there for them. His playing weight is going to be a huge question mark for me. It isn't as if he can't carry the weight, since he played at 235 as a Junior, but really didn't move nearly as well at that weight. Now, he's coming in to the league with shoulder surgery and a a few concussions.

I think he's incredibly explosive and mean as they come, but there are just enough question marks that lead me to believe he wouldn't be the ideal Pats pick, especially with a top end draft position.

I think I missed the concussions part somehow when I read up on Foster. I am not concerned at all about the shoulder surgery but a concussion history is a big flag for me personally. Makes me reconsider some things..

And for the record, I am also out on Davis for the same reasons.

Cunningham might be able to add some weight still, but I really don't like the linebacking group at the front end of this draft.

Reddick I liked as a 2nd-3rd rounder as a piece you could move around, but he has enough red flags and inexperience inside to give me reason for pause.

McMillan and Beckwith look closer to linebacker size that the Pats would like, although unless Hightower is gone, neither of their games really translate to our system.

I'd take Bowser, Davis and Reddick with a trade back from 32 in a heartbeat. The top 50 is where BB picks up first rounders with question marks (size in this case). As happened with Collins (experience) and Gronk (injury).

I'd take Bowser, Davis and Reddick with a trade back from 32 in a heartbeat. The top 50 is where BB picks up first rounders with question marks (size in this case). As happened with Collins (experience) and Gronk (injury).

Bowser is the one in that list that I could see.
It isnt just the one red flag that worries me with Davis and Reddick. Davis missed multiple games every year at Florida. With Reddick, he had a very serious off the field question marks as well (felony assault charges) that have been cleared, but there's a reason he's only becoming known as a RS senior.

I would bet on McMillan if they end up going linebacker, but so much depends on Hightower, and how they view Roberts going forward.

I think I missed the concussions part somehow when I read up on Foster. I am not concerned at all about the shoulder surgery but a concussion history is a big flag for me personally. Makes me reconsider some things..

The shoulder surgery isn't a huge deal by itself, but do see his style of play leading to far more injuries than average.

He Kindve reminds me of Big Bang clock in how he is always tackling with his head. Vicious, but the pounding goes both ways.

All that to be said, I am sure that Foster is going top 7 anyways, so this conversation isn't much to get too concerned about.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back