PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Damien Harris & Jakobi Meyers

Meyers is developing in year 2 like we hoped Harry would develop. It would be nice if both could take the next step, but Harry simply doesn’t look athletic or physical enough to play WR at this level. Meyers does. I’ll take it.

Harris is our present and future RB1 (or at least the leader of a committee). Meyers and Byrd should be #3 and #4 on a real WR depth chart, so they're also part of the solution. As for the rest of the skill position players on this offense? Blow it up. Probably keep White though.

Meyers will be in the league for a long time. Harry probably won’t be in the league three years from now.

If we had a QB who has a real ability to pass Meyer's numbers would be a lot better. He always seems to create separation when he's got man coverage and knows where to find holes in zone coverage. Brady really should have feasted with him.

Since Baltimore decided to load up the front to stop the run (and Houston and Arizona followed suit) Harris is averaging well under 4 yards per carry...that's not good. Until the team has an offense that at least threatens the pass, Harris will be nothing but a guy who rushes for 60 yards on 18 carries

Meyers is developing in year 2 like we hoped Harry would develop. It would be nice if both could take the next step, but Harry simply doesn’t look athletic or physical enough to play WR at this level. Meyers does. I’ll take it.
Now everyone can say "who cares if Harry was a bust because Bill knew Jakobi would be a stud" in the same way I have been told I shouldn't care that Duke Dawson was a bust because JC Jackson is good.

Harris and Meyers are great, solid guys and seem to have a good reputation. I don't feel like they've hit their ceiling yet either. If the O-line can stay healthy, these guys should continue to do well. Now for next year we need a solid WR free agent or need to draft good. I don't think Harry is going to provide the extra spark we need. Having Jules back will help, assuming he doesn't retire.

If we had a QB who has a real ability to pass Meyer's numbers would be a lot better. He always seems to create separation when he's got man coverage and knows where to find holes in zone coverage. Brady really should have feasted with him.
You do realize that there has been a lot of growth from year one to year two in the system. Meyers right now is a much better player than he was as a rookie.

Now everyone can say "who cares if Harry was a bust because Bill knew Jakobi would be a stud" in the same way I have been told I shouldn't care that Duke Dawson was a bust because JC Jackson is good.

The real lesson is that the draft is a crap shoot.

Recall that the 2010 draft was panned heavily on these very forums on draft day. I'd say it turned out ok...

What i've liked about Meyers is that he takes some really solid hits and doesnt drop the ball.
Him and Byrd have been pretty good considering everything.

I just watched highlights of our Dolphins game, and there was this one play that was just mindboggling. Harry caught the ball close to the end of the first quarter, ran into JPerry (almost 40 lbs less) and looked like he crashed into a brick wall and crumpled. It's frustrating because he's blocked guys over 50lbs heavier than he is.

The real lesson is that the draft is a crap shoot.

Recall that the 2010 draft was panned heavily on these very forums on draft day. I'd say it turned out ok...
Hmm I remember that differently. I remember it getting panned on day one because the McCourty pick didn’t look good by itself but people here were VERY positive about that draft after it was over.

One snap for Sony. Happy to see him not stealing carries.

Or how about Don't worry about Cyrus the Virus being a bust because Jonny Jones was signed as a UDFA...People who claim such things are incapable of independent thought.

I'm oblivious to this sort of thing even though he's been my favorite Pats player for the last year and a half: how has Jakobi's blocking improved from last year to this year? Was he pretty good last year? I know this year he's "decking" guys like JJ Watt (not good for longevity, though) and blocking was a completely foreign concept when he switched to WR in college.

Hmm I remember that differently. I remember it getting panned on day one because the McCourty pick didn’t look good by itself but people here were VERY positive about that draft after it was over.

I guess I'd have to go back and look, but (what I perceived as) the negative reaction to that draft is what convinced me to stay away from this board on draft day ever since.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back