PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DaBruinz 1st round mock (no Trades)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
First off - I tried to put myself in each teams shoes. Looking back at their needs and how they've drafted over the previous few years. I know there will be some surprises.. Early and late..

1 St. Louis-Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma
2 Detroit-Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
3 Tampa Bay-Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
4 Washington-Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame
5 Kansas City-Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa
6 Seattle- Russell Okung OT Oklahoma St.
7 Cleveland- Eric Berry S
8 Oakland- Dan Williams - DT
9 Buffalo- Trent Williams – OT
10 Jacksonville- Earl Thomas – S
11 Denver-Rolando McClain ILB
12 Miami- Derrick Morgan – DE/OLB
13 San Francisco- Anthony Davis - OT
14 Seattle- Taylor Mays S USC
15 NY Giants- Terence Cody
16 Tennessee- Everson Griffen - DE
17 San Francisco- Joe Haden – CB
18 Pittsburgh- Jared Odrick - DE
19 Atlanta-Jason Pierre-Paul - DE
20 Houston-C.J. Spiller - RB
21 Cincinnati- Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma
22 New England- Sean Weatherspoon ILB Missouri
23 Green Bay- Bruce Campbell - OT
24 Philadelphia- Kyle Wilson CB Boise State
25 Baltimore-Brian Price – DT - UCLA
26 Arizona- Brandon Graham - DE
27 Dallas- Rodger Saffold – OT - Indiana
28 San Diego- Ryan Matthews – RB – Fresno State
29 NY Jets- Carlos Dunlap – OLB/DE
30 Minnesota- Brandon Ghee - CB
31 Indianapolis- Mike Iupati - OG
32 New Orleans- Sergio Kindle - LB

I really hope the Pats don't grab another ILB in the first. We are fine there for now and should grab someone who fills a bigger need such as OLB,DE, or id even take Matthews. Why would the Pats pass on Brandon Graham to get Sean Weatherspoon?

Ok, that's your first effort. Let's hope your 2nd is way WAY better. My 20 yr old daughter can make a better pick for the Pats.

But seriously, epic fail

:bricks:

Appreciate the effort, but I don't see some of these picks happening.

1. Why would Washington spend a top 4 pick on Clausen after trading for McNabb?
2. Why would the Giants take the immense Mt. Cody? He does not fit their scheme, as he is strictly a 3-4 NT and not a 4-3 DT.
3. I think Houston is looking for more of a between the tackles horse at RB since they already have Slaton. Spiller is not that type of RB.
4. How does Sean Weatherspoon fit into the Pats defensive plans? He seems like a 4-3 LB who would excel on a team like the Giants. In addition, we already have Mayo, Guyton, and McKenzie inside. No need to spend a 1st rounder on another ILB.

Ok, that's your first effort. Let's hope your 2nd is way WAY better. My 20 yr old daughter can make a better pick for the Pats.

But seriously, epic fail

:bricks:

Yeah, whatever. You probably confuse Weatherspoon and Norwood..

Let me know when you go back and figure out how the Pats got their pass rush in 2003 and 2004. Then come talk to us.

Huh?
I hope you just had a brain fart and forgot what happened last week

Nope.. Didn't forget at all.. Drafting Claussen allows them to bring him along behind McNabb. Also, you seem to forget that McNabb has a big injury history.

And I figure the Skins are trading Campbell before the draft. So they get their guy who can step in 3 years from now.

Appreciate the effort, but I don't see some of these picks happening.

1. Why would Washington spend a top 4 pick on Clausen after trading for McNabb? Clausen gives them their QB of the future behind McNabb. McNabb won't be the starter there in 3 years.
2. Why would the Giants take the immense Mt. Cody? He does not fit their scheme, as he is strictly a 3-4 NT and not a 4-3 DT. I disagree with you Cody has and can play 4-3 DT.
3. I think Houston is looking for more of a between the tackles horse at RB since they already have Slaton. Spiller is not that type of RB. In the games that I watched, Spiller was just as effective inside as out.
4. How does Sean Weatherspoon fit into the Pats defensive plans? He seems like a 4-3 LB who would excel on a team like the Giants. In addition, we already have Mayo, Guyton, and McKenzie inside. No need to spend a 1st rounder on another ILB.

Guyton is not an every down ILB. In fact, I think he'd probably be better as an OLB in the Nickel. McKenzie is an unknown because of his injury. Weatherspoon gives the Pats a guy inside who can hold up against the run, rush the passer from the inside, and also do well in coverage. The key to the Pats pass rush in 2003 and 2004 was being able to bring pressure from ALL 4 LBs spots. NOT just the OLBs. Weatherspoon at ILB brings that in his game. He also has a lot of intangibles.. Something the Pats look for.

I like the pick.

Guyton is not an every down ILB. In fact, I think he'd probably be better as an OLB in the Nickel. McKenzie is an unknown because of his injury. Weatherspoon gives the Pats a guy inside who can hold up against the run, rush the passer from the inside, and also do well in coverage. The key to the Pats pass rush in 2003 and 2004 was being able to bring pressure from ALL 4 LBs spots. NOT just the OLBs. Weatherspoon at ILB brings that in his game. He also has a lot of intangibles.. Something the Pats look for.

Moderators..Please mark this down. I agree with DaBruinz here and what he said actually makes sense.
DaB. His vocal leadership is well noted and one of those intangibles. Good retort.
Decent Draft. Hard work. Well done. There I have said it!
DW Toys

Nope.. Didn't forget at all.. Drafting Claussen allows them to bring him along behind McNabb. Also, you seem to forget that McNabb has a big injury history.

And I figure the Skins are trading Campbell before the draft. So they get their guy who can step in 3 years from now.

Makes perfect sense but ignores 2 factors:
- Snyder believes planning ahead is for...well, you know
- The Skins need a LT like I need oxygen

Give Okung to the Skins and Clausen likely falls to the Bills.

Also, the Steelers have desperate needs at interior OL and CB and great prospects sitting there for the taking.

Right idea ....wrong guy. Spikes will be a Patriot on Day 2......Call the bookie....boom

Let's see. We are ready to draft at 22. Who will help our defense most?

QUESTION 1

Is OLB a great need? Well, after all, we have Banta-Cain, Ninkovich, Woods and Crable. We could move Guyton over. This is a set of linebackers that will stop anything and is all set for the future. Yeah, we could use an upgrade. Perhaps we can draft someone in the second who might help some in 2011. ????????????????????????????? I'm not buying.

Maybe Belichick will not like ANY of the outside linebackers. Does that sound at all familiar? When was the last time we drafted an OLB in the first or second?

QUESTION 2

If I am passing on all the OLB's, then who will help my defense most. My best guess is Wilson.

Graham
Witherspoon
Wilson
Dunlop
Kindle
Hughes

First off - I tried to put myself in each teams shoes. Looking back at their needs and how they've drafted over the previous few years. I know there will be some surprises.. Early and late..

i don't realy think ILB is a big need but i like the pick cause i think Weatherspoon. will be the best of all the ILB's in this draft.

I don't see the logic in drafting Clausen at #4 right after you have traded for McNabb. You need to use that pick to add an impact player at a position of need, like Russell Okung for the OL. Trading for McNabb is a win-now move, and adding Clausen does nothing for you in the immediate future. All of the moves Shanahan has made are win-now moves (Larry Johnson, Willie Parker, McNabb, Buchanon, etc.) so I can't possibly see taking Clausen when you have other holes to sure up. McNabb has at least another 3-4 good years in him.

I think Houston is looking for a power back. They already have an explosive/scat back in Slaton. Spiller is not a guy who pounds the rock and runs people over between the tackles; he's more similar to Slaton. I think the Texans are looking at a Dwyer or Ryan Matthews type more than a Spiller or Best type.

I personally don't see Weatherspoon as a fit in this defense, and I put a lot of stock in what Bruschi says. He said on Reiss' blog earlier this offseason that ILB will not be a high priority for NE b/c they have 3 good young talents in Mayo, Guyton, and McKenzie. I don't think Guyton would be a great fit at OLB. I think he's a great Roman Phifer type LB, and I think McKenzie will likely see more snaps on early/running downs.

I don't see how Cody fits what the Giants have done on defense. They've been a penetrating 4-3 defense and Cody is a 350 pound monster who is there to eat up blockers and clog the middle. He's been compared to Ted Washington, who was a great NT. He may have played some DT at Alabama in some 4 man fronts but I don't see him being a great fit at 4-3 DT in the pros. Even if he is, the Giants already have Cofield, Robbins, Canty, Osi, Umenyoria, Tuck, and Kiwanuka on their DLine. If anything, they could use a LB or a CB.

I don't doubt Clausen's name comes up from time to time in the Skins' war room I think they will be hard pressed to win a NFC East game if they don't address their O Line immediately. The DE/OLB's in that division are monsters. Without a new LT they will be scrapping McNabb's carcass off the field.

I would be surprised if the Giants picked up another D linemen. If anything I would expect them to go LB, CB, or S. I think Weatherspoon would actually be a great pick for them.

The Houston thing is really not major, I would think any team would be hard pressed to pass on a talent like Spiller, I would LOVE to see him in a Pats uni.

The only major complaint I have is no Dez Bryant. I know he is believed to be a "problem child" however, he is way too talented for someone to not take a chance on him. I can't see him falling out of the first.

Nice effort I enjoyed reading it.

Nicely done! I could see a majority of picks unfolding they way you presented it. The only concerns, some major are:

4 Washington-Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame - I agree the Redskins will look to develop a QB but it would be benificial if they could do this later in the draft and fix their immediate need a OT.

<------ Switch these two picks, but I see where u r going

14 Seattle- Taylor Mays S USC - not going to happen, not at all. Mays will fall to the 2nd round if the Jets don't grab him.

15 NY Giants- Terence Cody - as someone mentioned, his style of play doesn't fit their play. They need speed on their defense and Cody does a lot of things but Speed isn't one of them

16 Tennessee- Everson Griffen - DE - To high of a pick but I see them definitely getting a pass rusher..

22 New England- Sean Weatherspoon ILB Missouri - I'll go with you on this one.. being a little different and thinking out of the box.. But what concerns me about him, was brought to the attention by McShay. Seemed like a good player but after the combine and he seemed to create a stir around him with the way he was talking off the field, not on it.. Like McShay said in a POD cast, it might be a horse and pony show..

25 Baltimore-Brian Price – DT - UCLA - I like this pick. Originally I didn't but Kelly isn't getting any younger and Balt knows how to draft..

I think your draft mock was well done with the exception of Kindle at the bottom...I think Kindle will go higher than Pierre Paul who could drop to the bottom of round 1

I love Weatherspoon as an ILB ,he seems to fit the bill here and we could use another player with a W or M as the first letter of his last name on defense..:)
(Wilfork,Meriweather,Warren,Mayo,Wilhite,Wheately)

I've been working on versions of a mock for the past 2 months so I can appreciate the effort that goes into these:

What I like:

- looking back on prior drafts i think you always see that DL rise. I like griffen getting a push, big dan williams in the top 10, and odrick in the top 20
- a joe Haden drop to late teens is a good bet
- Earl thomas in the top 10
- small drop from Anthoney davis out of the top 10 looks likly

What I didn't Like

- some "fit" issues based on my research.

Terence Cody seems to fit a 3-4 2 down runstuffer and not the Giants athletic 4-3 front

Derrick Morgan looks like a classic 4-3 DE may not be a 3-4 guy

I love whetherspoon but he's a space guy and tends to get washed by guards at the POA

also, spiller to low, bulaga to high

Nice job. McNabb is basically on a one year contract, so taking Claussen gives him a year to develop under McNabb, but it does give Washington 4 QB's counting Collins and Campbell.

The Jets make out like bandits in this mock, I really like Dunlap in the 3-4 and the Jets can give him time to mature and develop.

My absolute favorite pick in this mock is of course Mt. Cody. Going to the Giants would kill me. I have Mt. Cody still at #22 in my mock. (I just got back from Tuscaloosa and the feeling there is that San Diego or the Jets are the most likely destination for him.)

As for Witherspoon, he is an intriguing prospect and definitly an upgrade over Guyton. However the AJC says the Falcons really like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick