PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congratulations to the Indianapolis Colts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartwright

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Bunch of whiners here. It is as if you think if one team gets called for PI, the other must get one back. I was at the game, the PI on the dude covering Clark (Ivy) was a good call. Clark was mauled and unable to make a play on the ball...and the flag came out quickly. Wayne was clearly interfered with late in the second quarter. Ray Lewis clearly leads with head, direct hit to Collie, have to make that call. Brackett?? He didn't make contact with the receiver...and as we know...face guarding is not a penalty anymore. Too bad your man was all up in Wayne's grill..making contact in that AFCCG!!!

Baltimore was clearly the inferior team last evening. Colts are fast, they tackle well, and play smart football. Great decision making (punting on 4th at midfield earlier in game, going for it from the 35). One more play with 7 seconds to go in the half.

Contrast that with Harbaugh's play calling on their last possession of first half...run...pass...pass. Ed Reed is a great player...but he's a vet, and got punked by a 2nd year player. You can't let that play happen.

Will be a tough game next week...I'll be there...cheering on the boys in blue!!!

GO COLTS!

He didn't make contact with the receiver...and as we know...face guarding is not a penalty anymore. Too bad your man was all up in Wayne's grill..making contact in that AFCCG!!!
Congratulations on your team's win and good luck next week. The Colts were the superior team yesterday and deserved to advance.

Just wanted to point out that your opinion on the call on Ellis Hobbs from the play a couple years ago is off. In fact the league admitted they made a mistake and apologized to Hobbs after the fact.

State of the league is trouble ahead - Ask Vic on jaguars.com
I checked out what you are saying and you are absolutely correct. Face-guarding was discontinued several years ago and I completely missed it. I talked to Dean Blandino in the league office and he confirmed what you’re saying. Blandino, by the way, was in the replay booth at the Patriots-Colts game. Ellis Hobbs should not have been flagged for pass-interference. He didn’t make contact with the receiver and in no way did Hobbs impede Reggie Wayne’s ability to catch the pass. Blandino confirmed that the incorrect call was made. It advanced the ball from the Patriots’ 19-yard line to the one-yard line and was the big play in a touchdown drive that led to a two-point conversion and a tie game at 21-21. Referee Bill Carollo made no reference to face-guarding in his explanation, but CBS analyst Phil Simms did. Apparently, he, too, doesn’t know the rule no longer exists. The next time you hear a TV analyst say, “he wasn’t playing the ball,” think of the Hobbs play, then turn down the sound.

NFL apology Colt comfort for Hobbs - BostonHerald.com
The above article is archived, but you can see it here:
NFL apologizes to Hobbs - Football Forum - NFL, CFL & College Football Forums
Ellis Hobbs has insisted since the AFC title game loss to the Colts that he was improperly flagged for pass interference in the end zone.

The league not only agrees with him, it let him know it.

Hobbs received a letter during the offseason apologizing for the blown call, which led to the touchdown that tied the game at 21 in the third quarter.
“It’s a little late for that now,” Hobbs said with a sigh.

The penalty came on second-and-7 from the Patriots 19. Colts quarterback Peyton Manning targeted a streaking Reggie Wayne down the sideline, but Hobbs stayed with him stride for stride, cutting short his pursuit to avoid the contact that would have resulted in a penalty. He watched Wayne’s eyes, slightly turned his head and leaped while the ball descended. It hit him in the left arm and Hobbs was immediately flagged by referee Bill Carollo.

Congratulations on your team's win and good luck next week. The Colts were the superior team yesterday and deserved to advance.

Just wanted to point out that your opinion on the call on Ellis Hobbs from the play a couple years ago is off. In fact the league admitted they made a mistake and apologized to Hobbs after the fact.

State of the league is trouble ahead - Ask Vic on jaguars.com

NFL apology Colt comfort for Hobbs - BostonHerald.com
The above article is archived, but you can see it here:
NFL apologizes to Hobbs - Football Forum - NFL, CFL & College Football Forums
Thanks for the well wishes. With all due respect to you...I would not hang my hat on some bogus report by a Jaguar hack. The guy hates the Colts, and has the same lame act as Bill Simmons....tries to stir the pot with a bunch of b.s. Similar in fact, the Whitlock (who at least writes a decent article 50% of the time).

I am not going to rehash all the calls of all the games that have gone against the Colts (could start with Kordell Stewart stepping out of the back of the end zone before catching a TD in the '95 AFCCG)...not going to do it....but again, please...don't put your eggs in that hacks basket.

EDIT: The only way I would ever believe there was a letter would be to see it and have it certfied as true by the league office.

Last edited:
Thanks for the well wishes. With all due respect to you...I would not hang my hat on some bogus report by a Jaguar hack. The guy hates the Colts, and has the same lame act as Bill Simmons....tries to stir the pot with a bunch of b.s. Similar in fact, the Whitlock (who at least writes a decent article 50% of the time).

I am not going to rehash all the calls of all the games that have gone against the Colts (could start with Kordell Stewart stepping out of the back of the end zone before catching a TD in the '95 AFCCG)...not going to do it....but again, please...don't put your eggs in that hacks basket.

EDIT: The only way I would ever believe there was a letter would be to see it and have it certfied as true by the league office.
I understand the Jaguars are a division rival, and part of Ketchman's job is to stir the pot. But his original position was actually exactly the opposite; in fact, he was apologizing for originally taking the incorrect stance on the play in question.

In addition Ketchman gives specific names of two NFL officials that he spoke with. Seems to me if they never said that then one or both of them would have denied the report, as would the NFL front office.

Finally, Hobbs was never a loudmouth attention-seeker that denied responsibility. Simply put, he is not the type of guy that would say the NFL apologized to him for making an error if it was not true.

It's impossible to say what would or would not have happened had that call not been made. The call was made, the Colts capitalized and the Patriots did not recover. But that's not the point. The point is that the incorrect call was made, and in fact the NFL admitted as such. I'm just responding to your assertion that the flag was thrown due to actual contact; that's not the case.

Hobbs due another apology? - Hashmarks - ESPN
Mike Sando of ESPN said:
The NFL apologized for an interference call against Hobbs levied during the Colts' victory in the AFC title game last season.

Scout.com: Big Matchup for Indy: Wayne vs. Hobbs
Hobbs disagreed with the call at the time, and the NFL later sided with him, mailing him a letter of apology. It was a nice gesture, but a meaningless one because, as he later emphasized, "I still went home."

This isn't about rehashing questionable calls or playing out what if scenarios. I'm just saying the NFL admitted they made the incorrect call - even if you and I never physically saw that letter of apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft