PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College Football Playoff National Championship 2024 - Wolverines / Huskies

Another 5hitty National Championship game.

Washington like TCU a couple of years ago, did not belong to be there. They need a better grading system for this game because just being undefeated isn't cutting the mustard. Georgia with 1 loss vs Michigan would have been a barn burner of a match.
This game was a lot closer than that
Pennix just **** the bed

I expected a bit more playmaking from Penix in that situation - but he clearly was rattled, then hurt.
McCarthy is who I know he is - exactly like Mac. The product of a supreme team around him. He doesn't do much.
Not interested in either. Would rather take a risk on Nix at bottom 1st round.
Corum is interesting though - could be our next Faulk/Woodhead - if he gets more involved in the passing game.

We shall see. Chicago's coaching changes and offense have been a huge problem for Fields. He's got too much throwing and running ability. Fields' mechanics? That's one of his positives. For a guy who can run, he stays in the pocket and always throws from a really good base. He was a pocket passer in college.

He is taking sacks and holding the ball too long. That's for sure. And it kills drives. But this is the kind of thing that can improve.
But isn't that the internal clock and processing capacity. If that doesn't improve in 3 years how can it suddenly improve. Purdy is a master of it . We need to really see QBs who have average internal clock of less than 3 seconds ( to throw) in college football with completion rates upwards of 65% .

It's so difficult to gauge that because there are so many variables like wide receiver quality, offensive line etc.

We shall see. Chicago's coaching changes and offense have been a huge problem for Fields. He's got too much throwing and running ability. Fields' mechanics? That's one of his positives. For a guy who can run, he stays in the pocket and always throws from a really good base. He was a pocket passer in college.

He is taking sacks and holding the ball too long. That's for sure. And it kills drives. But this is the kind of thing that can improve.
IF Chicago is stupid enough to move on from Justin Fields more power to them. Just imagine MHJr @ 3 - Trade 34 for Justin Fields won the Draft already.

We should just Draft the Michigan O line.

Their LT, LaDarius Henderson is definitely impressing me. But I'm not sure he's going to be in the 2024 draft or he has one more year of eligibility.

edited to add: all the rest of Michigan's O-line should be in the 2024 draft. All of them. Actually, I would love to pry their OL coach away from them. Michigan has had stellar O-lines for years.

Last edited:
IF Chicago is stupid enough to move on from Justin Fields more power to them. Just imagine MHJr @ 3 - Trade 34 for Justin Fields won the Draft already.
After a thoughtful session in my contemplative room, I think you are on to something. Bill only has 2 or 3 years max left. He doesn't want to try bringing along a rookie. I had mentioned earlier, paying Cousins or Mayfield, but I think I like the Fields idea better. He's big, strong, has experience and might be the best option. I would have to think seriously about a tackle in lieu of MHJr. Maybe gets fields for a 3 and get a WR and a Tackle.

After a thoughtful session in my contemplative room, I think you are on to something. Bill only has 2 or 3 years max left. He doesn't want to try bringing along a rookie. I had mentioned earlier, paying Cousins or Mayfield, but I think I like the Fields idea better. He's big, strong, has experience and might be the best option. I would have to think seriously about a tackle in lieu of MHJr.
I didn't think we'd have a shot but Chicago possibly taking Williams have me rolling my eyes. :rolleyes: MHJr is generational Talent who makes every WR around him better. We have our RT in Onwenu we Double dip for some LT types later in the Draft.

I didn't think we'd have a shot but Chicago possibly taking Williams have me rolling my eyes. :rolleyes: MHJr is generational Talent who makes every WR around him better. We have our RT in Onwenu we Double dip for some LT types later in the Draft.
Actually, the last couple games it seemed the interior blocking was more of a problem than the edges.

Actually, the last couple games it seemed the interior blocking was more of a problem than the edges.
Hope that Strange guy lives up to that strange Draft Sow played well Mafi needs to improve.

Penix should've played himself out of the first round with this stinker tonight
I don’t see how he’s a day one selection either…maybe day three. He was terrible last night. If he’s really that bad under pressure, he’ll never make it as a NFL QB…even as a back up.

McCarthy shouldn’t be considered anything more than a mid-late round pick either. All the potential I saw was NFL JAG/journey man QB.

I don't know, never seen a top QB have the Fields floppy elbow, been talked about since college. He's improved on the lower body mechanics but looks like he'll never get rid of that floppy elbow and thus will always have accuracy issues.
Pocket passer in college, 3 years as a pro and still holds ball too long, why would he suddenly improve on that?

My buddy is a Bears fan and convinced more than ever that the Bears need a QB at # 1. The GB game sealed the deal.

1 Chicago - QB the Bears will screw it up. Just watch.
2 Washington - WR Harrison Jr. Howell has shown enough IMO.
3 New England - ?
Washington is taking a QB. Probably Maye but if Jackson wins the Super Bowl they may buy in on Daniels as the "winning style".
I think it's Williams/Maye/Daniels top 3 but things could change after workouts.
How tall is Williams, how much does Daniels really weigh and what is his 40 time, Is Maye really non-human and built in a QB Lab?

I don't know, never seen a top QB have the Fields floppy elbow, been talked about since college. He's improved on the lower body mechanics but looks like he'll never get rid of that floppy elbow and thus will always have accuracy issues.
Pocket passer in college, 3 years as a pro and still holds ball too long, why would he suddenly improve on that?
Chicago

My buddy is a Bears fan and convinced more than ever that the Bears need a QB at # 1. The GB game sealed the deal.

1 Chicago - QB the Bears will screw it up. Just watch.
2 Washington - WR Harrison Jr. Howell has shown enough IMO.
3 New England - ?

Commandos' first pick will be a QB.

I've seen JJ McCarthy play 10-12 times and i still don't get why he's well thought of as a prospect that someone could draft in the first 2 rounds, he has Mac Jones level arm talent and his best plays for 2 seasons have been handing the ball to the running back.

I don't think i've seen a college quarterback throw the ball less get as much hype as he has as an NFL prospect, he screams of 6th round camp fodder.

After a thoughtful session in my contemplative room, I think you are on to something. Bill only has 2 or 3 years max left. He doesn't want to try bringing along a rookie. I had mentioned earlier, paying Cousins or Mayfield, but I think I like the Fields idea better. He's big, strong, has experience and might be the best option. I would have to think seriously about a tackle in lieu of MHJr. Maybe gets fields for a 3 and get a WR and a Tackle.

Who's Bill...?

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back