PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chiefs Release CB Stanford Routt. Any Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're approaching this wrong. The question isn't whether Routt is a better corner than McCourty. You have to ask if he's a better corner than Arrington. If the answer is yes, then you bring him in because he provides better depth than what you already have and, thus, makes the team better.

I for one wouldn't mind cutting Arrington for Routt.

Hell, I wouldn't mind cutting Arrington in general.

Considering how hard it is to find good CBs in the draft the move was stupid and Pioli is paying the price now.

Something similar was said about Pioli before, when he was with another team ...

Trading for Talib and not Routt has nothing to do with skill. Talib's contract is 10x more favorable than Routt's.

To me they are pretty much the same for this year, he can be cut after this year with no cap hit. 3 years 20 mill with a ten mill option means that the rest of the contract is 3 years and 10 mill. if he got 1/3 as a SB which seems to be an avearge that leaves 3 years and 7 mill in salary, if it was evenly spaced, about 2 mill a year, This 1/2 year will be about 1 mill. pretty close to what Talib is getting from us.

Far too many people forget that the only reason Arrington ever started for the Pats is because he was so good on STs that he got the chance to play CB since he was already on the roster. Even if he's not a contributing CB on the team, he's still worth more to the Pats as a STer than any player off the street.

If the Pats think Routt makes the team better than Derrick Martin makes the team and if Routt will sign for the right money(assuming he clears waivers with that fat contract), then of course the Pats will have an interest. Also, I know Arrington has struggled recently but Martin has to be at the bottom of the depth chart. Arrington has been a decent corner in the past and my guess is the recent drop in play is caused by some bumps and bruises that he is working through for the good of the team.

Nothing would shock me and I think BB has stashed Moore on the practice squad for good reason. BB may be willing to give an athlete like this a few weeks to see if the potential is there. That said, I would be surprised if he ended up on the Pats because if RC couldn't get Routt to play, I don't see him fitting in and making this team better.

Last edited:
Could be and interesting move if we could get him, Low risk possible high reward. BB loves these moves... But not necessarily vital to keeping McCourty at safety, which I think we can all agree is the best option right now, even if Arrington is down with a concussion If Talib (when ready and un suspended) and Dennard can play as the 1 and 2 corners. Why not throw Gregory out there as slot corner which is where he got his start in the NFL or even Edelman.

Could be and interesting move if we could get him, Low risk possible high reward. BB loves these moves... But not necessarily vital to keeping McCourty at safety, which I think we can all agree is the best option right now, even if Arrington is down with a concussion If Talib (when ready and un suspended) and Dennard can play as the 1 and 2 corners. Why not throw Gregory out there as slot corner which is where he got his start in the NFL or even Edelman.

I apologize for my terrible punctuation in this post, I was interrupted like 10 times and did not proofread it... Stupid work, don't these people know I'm busy

Don't see how you can say he wouldn't be an improvement. That one game he "played pretty well" is already more good games than Arrington has had this year.

I understand what you are saying about Arrington, he has really struggled this year(to put it mildly). But the sad part is Routt probably WOULDN'T be much of an improvement, if any. Against Oakland Routt got a pick on the first play of the game. That was probably due to Oakland targetting him and him being fired up to play them. Other than that he gave up a couple catches but also made a couple plays. Nothing great but nothing horrible. Looking through my Raider glasses, he "played pretty well". Especially compared to how he looked most times in Oakland. Routt SHOULD be better than he is. He has all the tools, but just has never put it together. I swear he has the ball awareness of Sergio Brown. Al Davis saw all the measurables and actually franchised this guy. Routt is more athlete than football player. If he got the right coaching, he still might develop into something. I don't see the Pats being able to do that. If Emmitt Thomas, Rod Woodson and Lionel Washington can't do it, I don't see Josh Boyer being able to. Hopefully I am wrong and they get him and he looks great but I wouldn't expect it. Then again, like you inferred, ANYTHING might be better than Arrington this year.

Sure why not. At worst, maybe it'd be good to have a DB who doesn't listen to the defensive coaches ;)

Routt has cleared waivers today and is a Free Agent. If Bill is serious about improving the secondary NOW, and not wait until next week for Talib, he should be on the phone with his agent and trying to lure him to a winning team and perennial contender, for once.

I understand what you are saying about Arrington, he has really struggled this year(to put it mildly). But the sad part is Routt probably WOULDN'T be much of an improvement, if any. Against Oakland Routt got a pick on the first play of the game. That was probably due to Oakland targetting him and him being fired up to play them. Other than that he gave up a couple catches but also made a couple plays. Nothing great but nothing horrible. Looking through my Raider glasses, he "played pretty well". Especially compared to how he looked most times in Oakland. Routt SHOULD be better than he is. He has all the tools, but just has never put it together. I swear he has the ball awareness of Sergio Brown. Al Davis saw all the measurables and actually franchised this guy. Routt is more athlete than football player. If he got the right coaching, he still might develop into something. I don't see the Pats being able to do that. If Emmitt Thomas, Rod Woodson and Lionel Washington can't do it, I don't see Josh Boyer being able to. Hopefully I am wrong and they get him and he looks great but I wouldn't expect it. Then again, like you inferred, ANYTHING might be better than Arrington this year.

I realize what I'm about to say is snarky... but can he turn his head when trying to make a play on the ball? :cool: :cool:

To me they are pretty much the same for this year, he can be cut after this year with no cap hit. 3 years 20 mill with a ten mill option means that the rest of the contract is 3 years and 10 mill. if he got 1/3 as a SB which seems to be an avearge that leaves 3 years and 7 mill in salary, if it was evenly spaced, about 2 mill a year, This 1/2 year will be about 1 mill. pretty close to what Talib is getting from us.

Are you doing the math right? I only ask because at 2 million a year, I'm really surprised he wasn't picked up on waivers.

Too many changes I think for this team in one unit

Forget Routt, this is who should be on our team right now.

I realize what I'm about to say is snarky... but can he turn his head when trying to make a play on the ball? :cool: :cool:

I don't think it is snarky.
Routt can and does turn his head for the ball. Sometimes. Usually just after he grabs ahold of the receiver when they are going by him with the referee watching. He also turns and looks for the ball real well especially after he has hit his man 10-15 yards downfield.

Forget Routt, this is who should be on our team right now.

I have to agree with you.

I've said several times that Carter even at 75% was more than worth a roster slot. :(

If Arrington was into Emo, he'd just cut himself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents