PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chase Winovich is for real

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Chase Winovich is for real"

Thank God he's not an apparition or figment of BB's imagination. But if he does his job right, opposing quarterbacks will be seeing ghosts out there.
Well, the defense are now The Boogeymen....

Well, the defense are now The Boogeymen....

Not the whole defense, just the lb corps.
That's Hightowers nickname for em.
We already had the best and deepest secondary on the planet.
So far this year, the same can be said about the lbs.
What the big 3, High,KVN and Collins have done so far is ridiculous.
But the depth is also excellent.

While not an unprecedented thought, let's let Chase get his spot in the NFL solidified with complete focus on learning techniques to beat even the highest level of tackles and guard play. Let's save his TE skills -- as much as they may be needed this year -- for next year :)
I wouldn't put it past bill to pull a Vrabel from time to time. Winovich seems to have the talent

The crazy thing with Thor is being a Rookie he's still learning he Defense. Even the Vet Bennett currently is.

Winovich is one of those guys where I just don't understand how he fell as far as he did in the draft. He had a lot of high-level college production and his combine measurables showed that he had the capacity to translate that production to the pros, admittedly as a likely one-dimensional player. Everything was there for all 32 teams to pick with confidence knowing what he was, and I don't understand how what he was wasn't worth a early-to-mid 2nd round pick. If you pick him, you know you're getting an edge defender who can rush the passer, which is only one of the most valuable skills an NFL player can have.

I think the only reason why he fell as far as he did is that NFL scouts and GMs fetishize the hell out of ceiling. They'd apparently rather take a guy who has a 10% shot at becoming an every-down player than a guy who has a 95% shot at becoming a productive, valuable player in a somewhat limited role. And that's probably a big part of why so many of them preside over consistently ****ty teams.

Winovich is one of those guys where I just don't understand how he fell as far as he did in the draft. He had a lot of high-level college production and his combine measurables showed that he had the capacity to translate that production to the pros, admittedly as a likely one-dimensional player. Everything was there for all 32 teams to pick with confidence knowing what he was, and I don't understand how what he was wasn't worth a early-to-mid 2nd round pick. If you pick him, you know you're getting an edge defender who can rush the passer, which is only one of the most valuable skills an NFL player can have.

I think the only reason why he fell as far as he did is that NFL scouts and GMs fetishize the hell out of ceiling. They'd apparently rather take a guy who has a 10% shot at becoming an every-down player than a guy who has a 95% shot at becoming a productive, valuable player in a somewhat limited role. And that's probably a big part of why so many of them preside over consistently ****ty teams.

I read a thread on a Jets forum pre-draft through post-draft that was about Polite vs. Winovich. These guys actually seemed knowledgeable about the draft (must not be Jets fans.) The thread was in full agreement that Winovich would be a sure fire NFL success, though Polite had a “higher ceiling.” They said that Winovich would become a Ninkovich type of player off the edge and would be a sure fire starter/impact player...very small chance of being a bust. I was also confused at why the poster said he preferred Polite in the third round considering a long-time starter in that area of the draft is equivalent to a home run. Jets always gamble on the “higher ceiling” players and strike out.

He’s not bad for a girl

Not the whole defense, just the lb corps.
That's Hightowers nickname for em.
We already had the best and deepest secondary on the planet.
So far this year, the same can be said about the lbs.
What the big 3, High,KVN and Collins have done so far is ridiculous.
But the depth is also excellent.
I wonder if Belichick isn't dialing up some schemes from his great 1986 Giants defense, built around the linebacking corps of Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson, and Carl Banks.

I'd just like to thank the Jets for selecting Jachai Polite at #68 for their edge rusher. If not for their ineptness we'd never have been able to pick Winovich at #77.

Meanwhile Polite was one of the biggest busts in a long time as he failed to make the Jets' roster despite being an early 3rd round pick.

Jets releasing third-round linebacker Jachai Polite

Thanks Jets!
Actually cutting him was a management upgrade for the Jete. In the past, they not only would have drafted him, they would have kept him around for 3 years and hope no one noticed that he was a bad pick. So just by admitting they F'd was an improvement. ;)

I think the Bruschi comparison is valid in a number of reasons.

Both were down linemen for their entire time in college. If you ever get some clips of Teddy from his rookie year, they were using him mostly down on passing downs and special teams. Both, high motor, fast hands, quick and relentless. In Teddy's 2nd he got more reps at OLB, and eventually wound up mostly on the inside.

Important to remember that this is going to be a 2-3 year development from college down lineman to NFL LB. Small and DEFINED steps if we are to get his best. Right now beyond ST's, Wino has a small and distinct role. They aren't asking him to set the edge. They aren't asking him to drop into coverage. Add all those responsibilities and the results wouldn't look so good.

If you recall, almost all of his sacks are the result either either a scheme or him mopping up a flushed QB due to effort. What he isn't doing is beating DT's with individual moves like Von Miller. So regardless of his "sack" numbers (which are cool) we need to slow our roll on Winomania and our expectation.

BTW- One thing I noticed from the great clip Maust posted. The analyst (and I thought he was good and thorough) pointed out that Wino wasn't great at getting "bend" around the corner. I found that interesting since during camp and preseason games, I made a note of thinking Wino was getting pretty good "bend". Clearly he's looking to improve in this important area. Check it out the next time they send him on a straight rush.

At this point he is a small cog in a big machine. He is a young guy who is going through a position change that isn't easy. It's a very complex position that they are dumbing down for him while he gets up to speed. So far he is passing all his tests, but remember he's in about the 3rd grade of LB school at Bellichick Elementary.

Last edited:
Reactions: PP2
Nice overview of the player, Ken. Thank you.
It's great that we have the luxury/depth of working him in the way we are. Learning without having the weight of expectation is extremely beneficial to the player long term.

Its the locks. Without them he is nothing

I wouldn't put it past bill to pull a Vrabel from time to time. Winovich seems to have the talent
I was thinking of something along those lines last night, but didn't have a specific player in mind -- The idea was because Vrable with his catch/TD rate was awesome and the fact that TEs seem to be dropping on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes